Mt. Vernon New Haven Line Bridge Replacement

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith

Mt. Vernon New Haven Line Bridge Replacement

Postby Jeff Smith » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:28 am

Mt. Vernon complaining about the speed of bridge work: CBS Local

I left some of the rhetoric out.

Mount Vernon Mayor Says MTA Has Neglected Bridges Over Metro-North Tracks
To call the bridges obsolete is an understatement. The road bed is made out of wood, installed when most of the vehicles crossing them were pulled by horses.
After a decade of lobbying and maneuvers, the MTA said it will begin to replace four of the bridges one at a time, starting next year.
For its part, the MTA seems to acknowledge friction. In a statement, spokeswoman Nancy Gamerman said, “Given the mayor’s recent statement, we look forward to discussing this matter further with the city.”

The MTA plans to spend $27 million replacing the bridges over the next five years. Thomas said temporary bridges could be installed right away for a fraction of that price.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Re: Mt. Vernon New Haven Line Bridge Replacement

Postby jonnhrr » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:31 pm

Seems unusual for the railroad to be responsible for these bridges rather than the state or city. I assume it goes back to when the NHRR grade separated these tracks?

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Return to MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail