Dock Yard Improvement Expansion and Electrification

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith

Re: Dock Yard Improvement Expansion and Electrification

Postby DutchRailnut » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:56 am

you may want to correct last statement, the connection to mainline is not a wye, no way to go eastbound .
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.
DutchRailnut

Postby EuroStar » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:52 am

So they are replacing the superstructure on all three spans of the Ann St bridge? That seems weird to me. Assuming that the Marshal St bridge remains one track, did they really need the space between Ann and Marshal streets for the yard? Unless there is a deeper reason that I cannot phantom from Google Earth images, spending money for bridges to gain what amounts to about 200 ft of track seems very wasteful to me. Any insights?
EuroStar

Postby Ridgefielder » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:43 am

EuroStar wrote:So they are replacing the superstructure on all three spans of the Ann St bridge? That seems weird to me. Assuming that the Marshal St bridge remains one track, did they really need the space between Ann and Marshal streets for the yard? Unless there is a deeper reason that I cannot phantom from Google Earth images, spending money for bridges to gain what amounts to about 200 ft of track seems very wasteful to me. Any insights?

Single-tracking the Ann St. bridge would require reconfiguring the interlocking- the switches for the south end of Dock Yard are south of Ann St. That would probably prove more costly, given the complexity, than replacing a few steel beams on the bridge.
Ridgefielder

Postby hcobin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:26 pm

Dock Yard is north of Ann St. If you're familiar with Norwalk, it's east of where the new mall is being constructed, and south of Science Rd. and the city's transfer station. Here are some photos of how the yard area looked in February:

Dock Yard -- south from Science Rd.jpg
Dock Yard looking south from Science Rd.
Attachments
Dock Yard -- north toward I95 overpass.jpg
Dock Yard looking north toward the I-95 overpass.
hcobin

Postby mrobinson » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:56 am

Been keeping an eye on this topic, not a regular poster at all but I stumbled onto these images at nycsubway and thought it may be of interest. https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/showpix?nsta=14133
Supposedly taken in April, 1974. Note that one is of the "original" Dock Yard.
Perhaps someone can confirm the current status of the pit in the one photo. Presumably, it was constructed by GE as part of the M2 delivery as it is quite clear that these tracks were being used for delivery "punch list" work.
mrobinson

Postby Ridgefielder » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:31 am

mrobinson wrote:Been keeping an eye on this topic, not a regular poster at all but I stumbled onto these images at nycsubway and thought it may be of interest. https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/showpix?nsta=14133
Supposedly taken in April, 1974. Note that one is of the "original" Dock Yard.
Perhaps someone can confirm the current status of the pit in the one photo. Presumably, it was constructed by GE as part of the M2 delivery as it is quite clear that these tracks were being used for delivery "punch list" work.

The pit is long, long gone. It would have been right around here: https://goo.gl/maps/zGXpiqLjJNx.

I'm pretty sure that all this trackage, both up on the embankment and the stub-ended tracks, was considered Dock yard by the NYNH&H. The lower-level trackage, the tower and the freight house were all removed in the late 80's, around the time when the Maritime Aquarium opened.

Incidentally, there are a couple of unusual autos in the photo of the yard and the burned-out tower. Behind the tower is a Triumph TR-6, while in front is something I can't identify-- maybe a Peugeot? Thought it was a Corvair wagon at first but the wheels are wrong.
Ridgefielder

Postby Backshophoss » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:17 pm

Have they finally started work on relaying the track and switches in Dock Yard??
How long before they hang new catenary wire in the yard??
Backshophoss

Postby RearOfSignal » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:32 pm

Backshophoss wrote:Have they finally started work on relaying the track and switches in Dock Yard??
How long before they hang new catenary wire in the yard??

No, still working on the Ann st bridge. All tracks (except trk 1) in dock yard are disconnected at CP 400 and CP 401.
Hurry up and wait at the signal!
RearOfSignal

Previous

Return to MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail