Early AM 3rd Rail Fire And Explosion @ Mount Vernon East

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

NH2060

Early AM 3rd Rail Fire And Explosion @ Mount Vernon East

Post by NH2060 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:21 pm

The culprit? Road salt dripping from a bridge:
http://westchester.news12.com/news/expl ... -1.6739579

Tommy Meehan

Re: Early AM 3rd Rail Fire And Explosion @ Mount Vernon East

Post by Tommy Meehan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:52 pm

Thanks interesting video. I don't think it was actually a fire though, I think it was an arcing caused by the salty water dripping down.

According to a presentation I attended some years ago by Metro-North's Power Dept., the problem was worse when the line through Mt. Vernon had catenary (which is why they moved it further east).
Last edited by Tommy Meehan on Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noel Weaver

Post by Noel Weaver » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:12 pm

Tommy Meehan wrote:Thanks interesting video. I don't think it was actually a fire though, I think it was an arcing caused by the salty water dripping down.

According to a presentation I attended some years ago by Metro-North's Power Dept., the problem was worse when the line through Mt. Vernon had catenary (which is why they moved it further west).

This is true except that the direction on the New Haven is east. In the past this was a real trouble area especially in wet weather and in the winter with road salt on the overhead bridges.
Noel Weaver

Tommy Meehan

Post by Tommy Meehan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:51 pm

Thanks Noel. I corrected it.

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”