Hartford Line CtDOT New Haven-Springfield - NHHS

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith

Re: Hartford Line CtDOT New Haven-Springfield - NHHS

Postby lordsigma12345 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:29 pm

Update - It appears Friday night they terminated at WRJ due to tree down and then equipment problems at Saturday - anyone know the specifics?
lordsigma12345

Postby Train2009 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:26 pm

Second track has been constructed between Hartford and Windsor:
https://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?A=1373&Q=605158
Train2009

Postby lordsigma12345 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:40 pm

I just inquired with the Hartford Line facebook as to whether the original schedule will resume October 1s. I received the following reply: No - due to continuing station element construction (such as the platforms in Windsor) we'll be using the schedule effective September 10 through early to mid November. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Sounds like they won't be starting actual double track operations until mid November due to the ongoing station work...not sure of any other reason why they would need this temporary schedule for just station work unless they are continuing with single track.
lordsigma12345

Postby shadyjay » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:06 pm

What station work are they referring to? As far as I know, upgrades to Windsor and Windsor Locks stations (including an up & over and new platforms) hasn't been funded yet, nor has any additional double-track. With the activation of the double-track up to Hayden, all that remains single is from there, through Windsor Locks, to Enfield (and yes, through Hartford station).
shadyjay

Postby Backshophoss » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:41 pm

Hartford will stay single track untill the I-84 rebuild is in progress and the 2 track trench is built with the new station. a long wait for now.
Backshophoss

Postby lordsigma12345 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:40 pm

I think the main thing is finishing the "permanent temporary" platforms at Windsor. They have been running single track operations on the new track from Hartford to Windsor and performing work on the new track 1 platform. It sounds like there is further work to be done in that area. The temporary schedule gives more breathing room to trains on the northern section of the line so that they can run single track during work. What I meant is it sounds like they won't be operating both tracks full time on this new Hartford to Windsor stretch until this work is completed in November.
lordsigma12345

Postby daybeers » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:58 pm

Very frustrating to hear double track operations won't start until mid-November. Does anyone know what work they're doing?
daybeers

Postby lordsigma12345 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:24 am

The message said "continuing station elements (such as the platforms at Windsor.)" While they didn't outright say they won't be using both track simultaneously yet, one can deduce that from the fact they are continuing the temporary construction schedule which was designed to avoid trains passing on the north of Hartford segment. Prior to tying in the second track they had the Windsor siding which is now part of track 2 so when running just the one track through there they no longer have that passing spot.
lordsigma12345

Postby lordsigma12345 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:45 am

Another possibility is that they are going to start using both tracks somewhat but they know they are going to have to close one track or the other at various times until then so they are leaving the temporary schedule so they can close them without having trains sitting and waiting. I will admit I’m speculating a bit but one of the two explanations seems logical given the continuance of the construction schedule.
lordsigma12345

Postby Larry » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:31 pm

Track 1 through Windsor I found out today is in use but was being surveyed as it is to high to the new track (track 2) they just put in. They need to lower it some. They are also finishing sidewalks and ADA ramps in the area near old station. This will go on for at least another month as they are so slow.

I also told Amtrak employee, Amtrak Police, Left vm with CDOT, spoke to Amtrak boss who was surveying track one and called Windsor Town Hall to let them know that a safety issue has come up with the way the current station in Windsor is set up with no fence between the two rail lines in front of the platforms. Both platforms are ground level and with both tracks in operation now, I can easily see someone being on the wrong side of station for their train and try crossing the tracks to get to the other side and be hit by another train in opposite direction. Also, I think both tracks in the future will be bi directional and this will really mess people up and not be a safe situation. I am still waiting for someone, anyone to call me back on this, should I hold my breathe?
Larry

Postby lordsigma12345 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:25 pm

So they will be needing to shut down Track 1 at times so that explains why they still need the temporary schedule.

Totally agree on the safety thing and as this is sort of a makeshift setup there isn't going to be any sort of information display to tell passengers which track it will be. They need fences as well as appropriate signage to assist people.
lordsigma12345

Postby nomis » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:56 pm

Larry wrote:I also told Amtrak employee, Amtrak Police, Left vm with CDOT, spoke to Amtrak boss who was surveying track one and called Windsor Town Hall to let them know that a safety issue has come up with the way the current station in Windsor is set up with no fence between the two rail lines in front of the platforms. Both platforms are ground level and with both tracks in operation now, I can easily see someone being on the wrong side of station for their train and try crossing the tracks to get to the other side and be hit by another train in opposite direction. Also, I think both tracks in the future will be bi directional and this will really mess people up and not be a safe situation. I am still waiting for someone, anyone to call me back on this, should I hold my breathe?

NORAC Rule 121 deals with safely operating within this exact type of situation.
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.
nomis

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:09 pm

Once the new track is in service between Hartford and Windsor, it would be nice if CDOT can have at least one midday Ctrail train be extended from Hartford to Springfield.

This winter, I might want to do a daytrip to Windsor or even Windsor Locks riding the train.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby daybeers » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:26 pm

If you look at this video, it looks like both tracks at Windsor are being used.
daybeers

Postby lordsigma12345 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:07 pm

daybeers wrote:If you look at this video, it looks like both tracks at Windsor are being used.

Interesting - they must be leaving the temporary schedule in place because they know they will at times be closing one track or the other. Hopefully they will go back to the original schedule at some point soon - or an improvement on the original.
lordsigma12345

PreviousNext

Return to MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail