MBTA adding thousands of security cameras, thanks to federal

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

MBTA adding thousands of security cameras, thanks to federal

Postby Teamdriver » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:23 pm

'' A series of grants, notably a $6.5 million grant two weeks ago, will allow the MBTA to add thousands of security cameras across the system, doubling the current number.

The MBTA has 15 to 20 projects already in the works with many more in the queue line, said Randy Clarke, senior director of security and emergency management for the MBTA.

“The good thing about cameras is they’re neutral,” Clarke said. “You get good information quickly.”

The projects will add cameras to bus garages, maintenance locations for the trains and buses, stations, and the trains and buses themselves. Each camera costs “a couple thousand” dollars, not including installation costs, but the initiative is 100 percent federally funded, Clarke said.

MBTA officials wouldn’t disclose the total number of cameras that will ultimately be watching T installations.''
http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2012/07 ... ocal_Links
Teamdriver

Re: MBTA adding thousands of security cameras, thanks to fed

Postby MarkB » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:22 pm

You've seen those photos from security cameras - the dull, blurry ones that make you squint to see the features of the perp's face? For a couple thousand dollars, you can get a camera with stunning image quality, plus zoom lens, sound, and all sorts of geegaws. All they need here is a camera to capture what's going on - not a spider spinning a web in the rain forest. Do they really need to spend a couple thousand dollars? If so, I'm getting in that racket. I'm sure i could have cameras built to spec in China that would cut that price in half.
MarkB

Postby ftran999 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:02 pm

MarkB wrote:You've seen those photos from security cameras - the dull, blurry ones that make you squint to see the features of the perp's face? For a couple thousand dollars, you can get a camera with stunning image quality, plus zoom lens, sound, and all sorts of geegaws. All they need here is a camera to capture what's going on - not a spider spinning a web in the rain forest. Do they really need to spend a couple thousand dollars? If so, I'm getting in that racket. I'm sure i could have cameras built to spec in China that would cut that price in half.

I don't think the issue is finding cameras that can capture high quality video. Heck Most DSLRs out today can capture true HD. The problem is how do you store hours upon hours of video from a multitude of locations. For example an approx 1 min HD video shot from my DSLR takes up about 150MB. Now multiply that by what I mentioned in the previous sentence.
ftran999

Postby jr145 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:18 pm

MarkB wrote:You've seen those photos from security cameras - the dull, blurry ones that make you squint to see the features of the perp's face? For a couple thousand dollars, you can get a camera with stunning image quality, plus zoom lens, sound, and all sorts of geegaws. All they need here is a camera to capture what's going on - not a spider spinning a web in the rain forest. Do they really need to spend a couple thousand dollars? If so, I'm getting in that racket. I'm sure i could have cameras built to spec in China that would cut that price in half.

You'd be surprised to see what professional security cameras cost. Especially when you're dealing with fed money.
Last edited by jr145 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jr145

Postby Rockingham Racer » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:19 pm

Please elucidate on what they can do. I'm clueless.
Rockingham Racer

Postby saulblum » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:52 pm

Of course, for all their help in potentially finding criminals after the fact, there is strong debate about just how effective cameras are at deterring crime in the first place.
saulblum

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)