Location of Green Line picture

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Location of Green Line picture

Postby The EGE » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:20 pm

Alright folks, here's a challenge. It's a Green Line train, somewhere in Boston, in 2001. I've conversed with the author and he's not sure where he took it.

Full version: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... r_2001.jpg

The rollsign is tantalizingly close to being readable, but I can't actually get anything off it. The gravel and pavement (platform?) makes me think B Branch, but I can't place the building. Anyone got any ideas?
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Re: Location of Green Line picture

Postby diburning » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:41 pm

Rollsign says E Lechmere with a line through the E.

No idea on the building. I thought the street lamp seen through the window would give some clues, but they have changed streetlamp styles since then.
diburning

Postby Arborway » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:08 am

Arborway

Postby Rbts Stn » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:44 am

If it weren't for the passenger, I'd say it could be in the Cleveland Circle/Reservoir yard, with the building being the back of one of the triple deckers on Strathmore Road
Rbts Stn

Postby CRail » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:24 am

Going from the building in the background, I'm leaning towards Arborway's suggestion. The picture is not at a station however, because there's nothing but ballast between the track and a piece of pavement visible in the lower right hand corner with what looks to be a small piece of a parking space line at the very end. The other track is visible just to the right of the truck, indicating that the train is traveling rightwards. Still, I vote the location suggested by Arborway, because I'm unsure of what that station looked like or where it was exactly located in 2001.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby The EGE » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:12 pm

Google Earth's historic imagery tab reveals that in 2001, Northeastern was a small asphalt stub just northeast of Opera Place. Its modern site, between Opera Place and Forsyth Street, was.... a big patch of gravel.

The building seen above the car matches the huge glass Northeastern University building, and the bit seen above the articulated section matches the Law Library.

You guys rock. Thanks especially to Arborway and diburning.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby SM89 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:27 pm

Why is the outside facing part of the rollsign just green with the T sign on it? Was that a common sight back then?
SM89

Postby sery2831 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:06 pm

It was Green with a T on both sides of that sign. Half the order of the Type 7s came with hand cranked signs and the other half came with motorized signs. I forget, but I think the manual signed cars only had two side signs and the motorized ones came with four side signs. There is a rollsign thread if you would like to discuss this in detail. All the cars were converted to motorized signage before the conversion to LCD signs.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:47 pm

I think that Arborway is close but I don't think that we're looking towards the Northeastern gym. I think that we may be looking northerly on Huntington at Forsyth towards Qdoba. On Bing, that's about the only thing that I can see that's got that tell-tale bright red stucco color on it (awning). (When you think about it, if the car is signed for the E, there's only about less than a mile that it most likely could be, that being anywhere from the NU Portal to Brigham Circle as that's where the private reservation ends and the street running begins.)
Edit - On looking at Qdoba on Bing, I don't think that that's where we are. That building is a much smaller building than what you'd see around Northeastern. Looks more like the Highland Branch to me. Mis-signed ?
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Teamdriver » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:33 pm

How about Comm Ave @ Granby street, near Bu and maybe the old Burger King. The building across the street on Comm ave could be that one that is in the background of the picture.
Teamdriver

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:49 pm

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is that this ROW is up on an embankment, thus ruling out most locations. To me, this has a Brookliney-Newton feel. I think that we're on the D. Brookline Village ?
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby The EGE » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Not Brookline Village - nothing that matches the rooflines. That why I'm convinced of the Northeastern location - the rooflines of two buildings match. I went through the whole D branch before posting this, and nowhere is there a matching building.
The EGE

Postby BandM4266 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:20 am

It looks like it could be on the BC line somewere between Sutherland and Chiswick stations
BandM4266

Postby 3rdrail » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:40 am

It's someplace where the ROW rises such as from ground level to it's own ROW. Riverside Station, Lechmere Station come to mind.
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)