How to Identify Red Line Stock

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: How to Identify Red Line Stock

Postby joshg1 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:41 am

CRail picked up on something that I should have emphasized- the solid plastic "strap" instead of the vinyl loop. I'm quite sure there was no white on the exterior, that it was an Ashmont train, and the interior was different than we were used to, possible more red (or brown?). Thinking back I can't be sure of the train length, but the date was no later than May 1, 1994. We got on somewhere between South Sta and Charles and went to Harvard. The oddest thing was the car was almost empty in the early afternoon of a workday.

Whatever we rode in this thread has me looking for details when I ride, especially car numbers. Off topic but I'll mention it anyway: I rode the Orange Line for the first time ever and thought the Wellington- Downtown ride was better than the Alewife- Harvard wobble. Better track or better cars? Way off topic- rode the Silver Line out to WTC and thought it much nicer than the sardine can 66 bus. Tires bad, rails good- shame on me for bringing them up.
joshg1
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: How to Identify Red Line Stock

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:49 pm

joshg1 wrote:CRail picked up on something that I should have emphasized- the solid plastic "strap" instead of the vinyl loop. I'm quite sure there was no white on the exterior, that it was an Ashmont train, and the interior was different than we were used to, possible more red (or brown?). Thinking back I can't be sure of the train length, but the date was no later than May 1, 1994. We got on somewhere between South Sta and Charles and went to Harvard. The oddest thing was the car was almost empty in the early afternoon of a workday.

Based on the date and description of the car, I'm thinking it was an new 01800 just delivered. The 01800s have silver (bare stainless) exterior and (when new) red velour seating. As Robert Paniagua mentioned, the 01800s were built in 1993 (Jan-Dec) but many were not delivered until 1994.

I wonder if the 1/1993-12/1993 build dates for the 01800 cars mentioned are when the stainless frames were fabricated by Bombardier in Quebec or when the complete cars were produced or outshopped from Barre, VT?
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
User avatar
R36 Combine Coach
 
Posts: 4897
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:51 pm

Re: How to Identify Red Line Stock

Postby Robert Paniagua » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:54 pm

According to the Builders Decal in the cars cab access door, they were fabricated in La Pocatiere Quebec and finally assembled in Barre, Vermont
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
User avatar
Robert Paniagua
 
Posts: 4418
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:11 am
Location: Weymouth, MA 02188

Re: How to Identify Red Line Stock

Postby The EGE » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Reviving this thread to make a request. I've been sorting pictures of Red Line rolling stock on Wikimedia Commons. There's a whole bunch of pictures of 1500, 1600, and 1700 series stock where the car numbers are not visible or are too blurry to read. If anyone can identify any of those types in this category I would be very thankful.

(The category is a catchall for all types of Red Line stock; I'm not looking for IDs of 1800 cars or 1400 and earlier.)
User avatar
The EGE
 
Posts: 2460
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:16 pm
Location: Waiting for the N Judah

Re: How to Identify Red Line Stock

Postby 3rdrail » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:36 am

There's a lot of 01400's in there, etc. I'll grab one- Photo #5 is 0609, one of the original batch (No. 1) of Cambridge Tunnel Cars, at the time, the longest running subway cars in the world, at Harvard Station pre-opening running for trials and break-ins. This set was built by Standard Streel Co. and were extremely tough cars, running from 1912-1963. The date here is 1912.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
User avatar
3rdrail
 
Posts: 5641
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: How to Identify Red Line Stock

Postby BigUglyCat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:50 am

3rdrail wrote:...the original batch (No. 1) of Cambridge Tunnel Cars, at the time, the longest running subway cars in the world...were extremely tough cars, running from 1912-1963.

Incredible by today's standards.

Once again, thanks, Paul, for great info! :)
BigUglyCat
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: Belfast, ME

Re: How to Identify Red Line Stock

Postby sery2831 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:55 am

The EGE wrote:Reviving this thread to make a request. I've been sorting pictures of Red Line rolling stock on Wikimedia Commons. There's a whole bunch of pictures of 1500, 1600, and 1700 series stock where the car numbers are not visible or are too blurry to read. If anyone can identify any of those types in this category I would be very thankful.


The 01500s were double ended so they have number boards on each end of the car. The 01600s are pairs, so they only have a number board on one end. The 01700s do not have number boards.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
User avatar
sery2831
 
Posts: 5136
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Manchester, NH

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests