Rapid Transit Cars Running on Other Lines Within The System

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Rapid Transit Cars Running on Other Lines Within The System

Postby rail10 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:49 pm

Is that possible to do so?
rail10

Re: Orange Line MBTA Trains Running On The Red Line

Postby 3rdrail » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:26 pm

Not only is it possible but they did during a car shortage when they used early El cars jacked up with extensions at their door thresholds. Actually, all the rapid transit line's have gone in/over the original Cambridge Tunnel and Longfellow Bridge at one time or another.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:08 pm

A few 01100's were assigned to work car duty on the Red Line post-retirement. There's mid-1980's pictures of them sitting in Cabot Yard.

All of the 3rd rail on the system is same voltage and clearances, so everything is electrically compatible with everything. Pretty sure the cab signals on Red and Orange are the same too.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby ThinkNarrow » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:39 pm

I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that by "running" you mean "in passenger service." If so, aren't the Orange Line cars narrower, thus producing a wider gap? ("Mind the gap") If you mean "traversing," I gather the answer is "yes."
ThinkNarrow

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:06 pm

ThinkNarrow wrote:I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that by "running" you mean "in passenger service." If so, aren't the Orange Line cars narrower, thus producing a wider gap? ("Mind the gap") If you mean "traversing," I gather the answer is "yes."

Well, this was eons ago. It's probably been a good 90-100 years since El cars were needed to supplement the Cambridge-Dorchester Line when it was being extended 1 stop at a time south of Park. Nobody would ever think of trying that these days, but yes...bridge plates, a couple in-car attendants, and somewhat more manageable 4-car consists would make that an acceptable short-term solution in the old days while they were waiting for reinforcement car orders to get built. They had no idea what true demand would be for the RL when it first opened, so not surprising it exceeded all expectations and quickly left them with a car shortage.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby MACTRAXX » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:15 pm

Everyone: I find this subject interesting because operating the Orange line cars on the Red line is one of the only ways
that one line's cars could operate on another with the other being the Blue Line cars operating on the Orange Line...

I always found the MBTA's Rapid Transit system interesting because each line uses a distinct car type that only can
be used on that particular line as most here know that was inherited over time...Something you will never see again...

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby 3rdrail » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:01 pm

As was mentioned, if you don't specify "revenue" in this question, almost anything has run over the Longfellow Bridge and through the Cambridge Tunnel on its way to Eliot, even streetcars ! I believe that Main Line cars have been the only tourists as far as revenue operations are concerned. (I'll bet you that streetcars also went directly to Everett Shops back in the day from the Arborway (Shea) on the El.)
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby FP10 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:59 pm

Could the blue line cars navigate the boylston curve? If so I could see those two lines one day sharing a fleet.
"even a money tree would draw opposition in Boston "
FP10

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:33 am

FP10 wrote:Could the blue line cars navigate the boylston curve? If so I could see those two lines one day sharing a fleet.

The Green Line is low-level boarding, Blue is high level.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby Mcoov » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:50 am

He may be referring to a point at the Chinatown stop.
Mcoov

Postby l008com » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:41 am

Interesting topic. Needs pics.
My New YouTube Channel (Give It Time):
John's Train Videos
l008com

Postby Gerry6309 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:50 am

FP10 wrote:Could the blue line cars navigate the boylston curve? If so I could see those two lines one day sharing a fleet.

The curve at Boylston is no big deal. The ruling curves on the Green Line are all east of Government Center. The ends of a Blue Line car are tapered to allow for tight curves. The original idea was to hook the East Boston Tunnel up to the Tremont Street Subway but this never happened and the line was extended to Bowdoin and the Russell St. portal instead. All of this happened over 10 years before tha conversion to Rapid Transit.

The tightest clearance on the East Boston Tunnel was created in 1923, when the east loop at Maverick was built under the Tunnel to the surface portal. This accounts for the very low roofline on the No 1 & 2 East Boston Tunnel Cars. The No. 3-5 cars never had to use that loop, and have more generous rooflines. The tunnel for the loop still exists just beyond the east end of Maverick Station and part of the present east station entrance occupies the old streetcar tunnel (note the steep grade). I think that the elevator shaft now extends into the loop tunnel.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby BigUglyCat » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:30 am

Someone who will not be identified was in the closed-off section of Maverick with a friend who was relatively unrestrained. This would have been sometime around 1975, maybe 1976. This character (the friend) wanted to steal one of the old-timey "Maverick" signs in that space ("I've got one of the screws loose!"). Unidentified person managed to get him out of there without incident. He had a screw loose all right.

I'm off topic. I apologize.
BigUglyCat

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:59 am

This is an insanely interesting thread. I agree, it needs pictures.

What business did/do most cars have going over the Longfellow bridge? Revenue or not.
theseaandalifesaver

Postby l008com » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:11 am

How would a green line trolley travel over red line tracks? Meaning, how would it get power?
My New YouTube Channel (Give It Time):
John's Train Videos
l008com

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)