Multilingual MBTA maps

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Multilingual MBTA maps

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:59 pm

MBTA maps are now available in Spanish, Portuguese and Chinese, as part the 2012 MassDOT Official State Map. 2012 is the first edition of the Official State Map to be available in alternate languages. I find this as a welcome addition to foreign visitors and new non-English speaking/reading residents.

Of other major transportation agencies, WMATA, LAMATA, BART, NYCT/MTA publish maps and service guides in alternate langauges for foreign visitors. (However the NYCT/MTA Multilingual map is not available from station agents and only found at information centers and major transporation terminals). Most agencies do have some materials in Spanish, however.

What other languages could be added in the future?
Last edited by R36 Combine Coach on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Re: Multilingual MBTA maps

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:09 pm

I'm surprised they didn't tackle French (especially with all the vistors from Quebec and such regions) or Italian before taking on Portuguese. My guess is that their Spanish translator could do Portuguese as well, so they were able to save on resources.
BostonUrbEx

Postby diburning » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:05 pm

Maybe it's because if you go to France, they don't have anything in English either!

All kidding aside, they probably looked to see what the demographics were before they did the translations. Boston has high populations of Chinese, Hispanic, and Brazillian (who speak Portuguese) people, and probably not so much for French and French-speaking people.

I'm just making an assumption though. I could be wrong.
diburning

Postby jwhite07 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:50 am

There is a significant Haitian community in the Boston region, and while Creole is often the preferred spoken language, most Haitians read and speak French as well.
jwhite07

Postby canobiecrazy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:26 am

Are the Chinese maps in Mandarin or Cantonese? If I remember correctly, Chinatown is split 50/50, although I may be mistaken/out of date.
Bring the Blue Line to Lynn!
canobiecrazy

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:13 am

canobiecrazy wrote:Are the Chinese maps in Mandarin or Cantonese? If I remember correctly, Chinatown is split 50/50, although I may be mistaken/out of date.

I'm pretty sure Mandarin and Cantonese are written the same way. The words are pronounced differently, though. I could double check with my friend from Beijing, but I am 95% sure.
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby diburning » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:49 pm

There's traditional and simplified. Mandarin and Cantonese are different spoken languages (Cantonese is a dialect which has its own sub-dialects), but are the same written. The majority of Chinese reading people in the world read simplified Chinese so I would expect them to use simplified.
diburning

Postby NYNE » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:27 pm

There are a lot of big Brazilian communities in eastern Massachusetts and they speak Portuguese. I didn't see that someone already pointed this out. Oh well, so here's to seconding the motion. (edit)
NYNE

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)