Who Remembers South Station Under?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Who Remembers South Station Under?

Postby hebron_hapt » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:43 pm

It used to be that each station between Andrew and Park Street Under had its own color. Obviously this is pre-Red Line days. Here are the colors:

Andrew - yellow
Broadway - green
South Station Under - blue
Washington (no "Under", bacause upstairs were Summer/Winter) - orange
Park Street Under - maroon

Who remembers the wooden escalators, going clackety-clack? My favorite was at Washington northbound. Its escalator emptied out on Hawley St, inside Kennedys. The southbound wooden escalator emptied out onto Chauncey St.
hebron_hapt

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:56 pm

I remember the wooden escalators at Washington, but thought they both led to the street, not to the inside of buildings.
Ron Newman

Postby BC Eagle » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:56 pm

There was a whole thread about the wooden escalators a few months back.
BC Eagle

Postby hebron_hapt » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:02 am

The escalator at Hawley St did empty out onto the street, kind of. It emptied into an open air vetsibule also used as a back entrance into Kennedys.
hebron_hapt

Postby caduceus » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:58 pm

hebron_hapt wrote:The escalator at Hawley St did empty out onto the street, kind of. It emptied into an open air vetsibule also used as a back entrance into Kennedys.

I don't know about Kennedys, or if this is the original location, but there is a current escalator that comes up on Hawley St. to open air, in the alcove where the back entrance to 101 Arch St. is (where Archie's Deli is). Up only.

I worked in 101 Arch until last August. It was the way I went to go to Chacareros... :-)
First law of public transportation: You can never be early, but you can always be late.
caduceus

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:36 pm

Right - both of the wooden escalators at Downtown Crossing were replaced by more modern ones in about the same locations. They were always up-only.
Ron Newman

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)