Orange Line Shut Down Weeknights on the North End

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Orange Line Shut Down Weeknights on the North End

Postby Teamdriver » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:16 pm

''Starting next month, subway service between the Orange Line’s four most northern stations will be replaced by buses after 9 p.m. on five days each week for six and a half months, according to the MBTA.

Shuttles will run between Oak Grove Station and Sullivan Square Station from 9 p.m. until the end of service on every Sunday through Thursday from July 8 to Dec. 28, officials said''
http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/med ... rTownlinks
Teamdriver

Re: Buses to replace trains on part of Orange Line on five n

Postby The EGE » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:15 pm

Well, sounds like they're getting serious with Assembly Square construction.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby BostonUrbEx » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:46 pm

This is RIDICULOUS since they included in their studies and plans that they could make the necesary track adjustments to AVOID significant bussing! And yes, I would call this significant! First it was just a few weekends, then they made it nearly every weekend, and now they're making it 5 nights a week for HALF A YEAR! Who's running this circus?!
BostonUrbEx

Postby Amtrak7 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:59 am

The files on the MBTA site call for 18 weekends and 175 nights.
Amtrak7

Postby CRail » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:24 am

It's been well known for a while now that there will be shuttling of some sort for a period of 38 months. Significance is in the eye of the beholder, Shuttling during the lightest few hours of service when traffic is minimal bears a pretty small impact on service compared to alternatives.

I'm curious, though, what kind of maneuvering could be done with the express track, if any, to allow service to continue around the work sites.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby BostonUrbEx » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:24 pm

CRail wrote:It's been well known for a while now that there will be shuttling of some sort for a period of 38 months. Significance is in the eye of the beholder, Shuttling during the lightest few hours of service when traffic is minimal bears a pretty small impact on service compared to alternatives.

I'm curious, though, what kind of maneuvering could be done with the express track, if any, to allow service to continue around the work sites.

The plan was to completely shift service over with switches installed at Sullivan Sq, rip up the current inbound track at the future station, build and island platform where the inbound track is, and then reconstruct an inbound track in its permanent place. They would then use the outside tracks, and shift/rebuild the middle one so it was abutting the platform. Switch reconfiguring at Wellington was also required. None of this has been done, and I haven't noticed any sign of them going with it.
BostonUrbEx

Postby 130MM » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:32 am

Work also includes tie replacement at Oak Grove Station. They had crews working aound the clock last weekend.
130MM

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)