The T is an absolute mess and disgrace

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby efin98 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:02 pm

parovozis wrote:In the past four years, I visited Montreal several times. Montreal is a kind of a "sister city" of Boston: similar size, similar importance, similar claims to be the country's cultural capital. What is striking, though, are strongly dissimilar transit systems. The STCUM subway and buses are clewan, quiet, fast, and on-time (I had no chance to test their commuter rail). The T subways and buses are... see the rest of this thread. Is it because Montreal, like Toronto, is in Canada? You decide.

Montreal, like Toronto, does not have a major highway going right through the heart of the city making public transit A. the only choice and B. more abundant. It's a matter of life and death up there. Same holds true for a large part of the MTA down in New York and the WMATA down in Washington.
efin98

Postby apodino » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:50 pm

efin98 wrote:
parovozis wrote:In the past four years, I visited Montreal several times. Montreal is a kind of a "sister city" of Boston: similar size, similar importance, similar claims to be the country's cultural capital. What is striking, though, are strongly dissimilar transit systems. The STCUM subway and buses are clewan, quiet, fast, and on-time (I had no chance to test their commuter rail). The T subways and buses are... see the rest of this thread. Is it because Montreal, like Toronto, is in Canada? You decide.

Montreal, like Toronto, does not have a major highway going right through the heart of the city making public transit A. the only choice and B. more abundant. It's a matter of life and death up there. Same holds true for a large part of the MTA down in New York and the WMATA down in Washington.

Then Ed, what do you call route 2 in toronto, which meets up with 404 right in downtown? In fact 2 runs right by the CN Tower. (Source: Rand McNally Road Atlas)

And in Montreal, Autoroutes 10, 15, 20, and 720 all run into downdown, with most of the CBD right near 720. (Same source)

Check your facts Ed before posting. And I don't see how that has any relevance to the MBTA being clean or not.
Rich "Dino" Martin
A one time happy rider of Arborway and the old Washington St. El.
apodino

Postby efin98 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:12 pm

apodino wrote:Then Ed, what do you call route 2 in toronto, which meets up with 404 right in downtown? In fact 2 runs right by the CN Tower. (Source: Rand McNally Road Atlas)

And in Montreal, Autoroutes 10, 15, 20, and 720 all run into downdown, with most of the CBD right near 720. (Same source)

Check your facts Ed before posting. And I don't see how that has any relevance to the MBTA being clean or not.

You checked a road atlas? I checked my TTC map and Mapquest and have seen exactly the road you are talking about in Toronto and it ain't nothing like what is in Boston. They are away from the heart of the city- they do not go next to or even under where the people are going like I90 and I93 in Boston. And I saw that firsthand- I know what the hell I am talking about. And don't play moderator, it is Rob's job and not your job to judge the relevance of posts.
efin98

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)