First time MBTA visit tomorrow

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: First time MBTA visit tomorrow

Postby Roadgeek Adam » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:33 pm

TrainManTy wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:MBTA for my first run wasn't bad, I would appreciate paper timetables, but we couldn't find any, even at Route 128. Did we miss them or something?

Glad you had a good time. Paper timetables are available at North and South Stations, and maybe at Back Bay, but I haven't seen them anywhere else.

Just seems like they should be more consistently placed in terminals and/or major stations. I have a friend whose autistic son I was hoping to get some for. While there were some interesting parts of the MBTA system, it feels like after having walked 11 stations for the system, that pardoning Route 128-University Park, all felt the same. The same aging purple signage, the inconsistent maps, the same canopies and shelters (Shirley was a nice change), the same dull look. It feels like the system just started in the 80s and never left that time.

I hate to diss a good system, but I feel like if a little more creativity went into the system (colors, canopy design, etc) it wouldn't feel so dull. Service is excellent though. I am going to be seeing MARC, VRE and the Metro in July, so seeing the MBTA was high on my list to get accomplished.
...they are solid plastic, so don't settle for imitation.
Roadgeek Adam

Re: First time MBTA visit tomorrow

Postby The EGE » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:11 pm

Yeah, the MBTA signs badly need replacement on some lines. Even at Ruggles, there are maps that I date to sometime in 1990.

They've been quite good about placing art on the subway lines, although they've been prone to generic station designs. Of the 1975 Haymarket North, 1971-83 South Shore Line, 1984-5 Alewife, and 1987 Southwest Corridor work, only the Alewife extension netted 4 stations with very different characters. But they've done better with recent rebuilds - Ashmont Branch, North Station, Charles/MGH, Airport, Science Park, Arlington, State, and Copley have all had likable finished products. The Green Line Extension has

Perhaps there's hope for the commuter rail, though. Yawkey, Littleton, and South Acton all look to be classy stations. I think a major factor is full-highs versus mini-highs. Mini-highs give you very little room to play with the design, giving you the generic look of the outer Worcester Line. But full-highs give you 600 to 800 feet of architecture to play with. A lot of the Old Colony stations have a bit of character to them. Lynn and Wickford Junction are quite unique. The new Fairmount Line stations are pretty similar in looks, but definitely better looking than mini-highs.

The major work we're likely to see in the next decade (outside of South Coast Snail) is going to be converting lines to ADA accessibility. inner Fitchburg, inner Worcester, and Providence lines don't have freight clearances to deal with, so they can get full highs.
The EGE

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)