First time MBTA visit tomorrow

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

First time MBTA visit tomorrow

Postby Roadgeek Adam » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:49 pm

Tomorrow I am going with a friend for my first trip to Boston since I was 2 (in 1993), and would like to know what is interesting on the Worcester/Framingham Line. Some of the plans are to see Wickford Junction on the Prov/Stoughton, some stations on the Worcester/Framingham. As a station geek, anything interesting to see along these lines?
...they are solid plastic, so don't settle for imitation.
Roadgeek Adam

Re: First time MBTA visit tomorrow

Postby jonnhrr » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:55 pm

Framingham - the old station which is just east of the current one, now a restaurant. Also north of the station is a CSX yard, sometimes there is freight activity.

Worcester - the renovated Union Station, also CSX has a big and expanding yard East of the station.

Unfortunately many of the stations on this line have been rebuilt as modern efficient but charmless park and ride facilities.
The old Ashland station still exists but I think is quite a distance from the new one.

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby Roadgeek Adam » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:22 pm

jonnhrr wrote:Framingham - the old station which is just east of the current one, now a restaurant. Also north of the station is a CSX yard, sometimes there is freight activity.

Worcester - the renovated Union Station, also CSX has a big and expanding yard East of the station.

Unfortunately many of the stations on this line have been rebuilt as modern efficient but charmless park and ride facilities.
The old Ashland station still exists but I think is quite a distance from the new one.

Jon

I'm not really an equipment person, the stations are more what I like, thanks though.
Roadgeek Adam

Postby TrainManTy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:03 pm

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
jonnhrr wrote:Framingham - the old station which is just east of the current one, now a restaurant. Also north of the station is a CSX yard, sometimes there is freight activity.

Jon

I'm not really an equipment person, the stations are more what I like, thanks though.

Then I second Worcester Union Station—it's absolutely beautiful inside. The only other original stations on the line you can access by train are at Framingham (not railroad-used anymore) and Wellesley Farms. The original Boston & Albany depots still exist in Westborough and Ashland, but only the latter is walkable (about a mile from the new station).
Tyler

All posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak for any organizations on this board.
TrainManTy

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:06 pm

Some Worcester Line highlights:

CSX Beacon Park Yard
Fenway Park
Westborough Transflo terminal
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby TrainManTy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:33 pm

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Some Worcester Line highlights:
Westborough Transflo terminal

Uh, this is currently a big empty lot with construction vehicles all over it. There's really not much to see, especially since there's usually a few cuts of cars blocking the view.
Tyler

All posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak for any organizations on this board.
TrainManTy

Postby Roadgeek Adam » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:44 pm

The yards don't interest me much.

Also, I am a Yankees and Mets fan, I won't be caught near Fenway. :)

Thanks for some of the help. We may be doing more than the Framingham/Worcester it looks like, so it will kind of be an as we go situation.
Roadgeek Adam

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:47 pm

Roadgeek Adam wrote:The yards don't interest me much.

Also, I am a Yankees and Mets fan, I won't be caught near Fenway. :)

Thanks for some of the help. We may be doing more than the Framingham/Worcester it looks like, so it will kind of be an as we go situation.

You're welcome to bring your Mets jerseys. But leave your Yankees memorabilia at the border. :)
BostonUrbEx

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:49 pm

Hopefully (Bill) Buckner is 25 years in the past...
R36 Combine Coach

Postby diburning » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:07 pm

If you want to take a trip down an old right-of-way, the MBTA's Green Line has a branch (D - Riverside Line) that operates on the former Boston and Albany's Highland Branch. It connects to the Worcester Line (but is blocked off to separate the two systems) and has at least two vintage Boston and Albany stations still standing. They are at Newton Centre Station, Newton Highlands Station, both of which are at the platforms, and the station at Waban (or at least what appears to be one) is part of a golf course so you'd only be able to see it from on-board a train.

Here are some shots I took:

Newton Centre:

http://photos.cityrails.net/showpic/?photo=201205172156271490.jpg
http://photos.cityrails.net/showpic/?photo=201205172157181554.jpg
http://photos.cityrails.net/showpic/?photo=201205172158101574.jpg

Newton Highlands:

http://photos.cityrails.net/showpic/?photo=201205172159291612.jpg
diburning

Postby saulblum » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:18 pm

diburning wrote:If you want to take a trip down an old right-of-way, the MBTA's Green Line has a branch (D - Riverside Line) that operates on the former Boston and Albany's Highland Branch. It connects to the Worcester Line (but is blocked off to separate the two systems) and has at least two vintage Boston and Albany stations still standing. They are at Newton Centre Station, Newton Highlands Station, both of which are at the platforms, and the station at Waban (or at least what appears to be one) is part of a golf course so you'd only be able to see it from on-board a train.

And the old Newton Centre station building is now a restaurant.

It's the old Woodland station on the golf course, visible on your right just after you leave the current Woodland platform on the way to Riverside.

http://binged.it/MU0m7z
saulblum

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:26 am

And the Newton Center freight station is still in active use, as a taxi station.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby Tom coughlin » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:48 am

If you do ride the "D" line, be on the lookout for the original B&A mileposts on the south side of the tracks. There are a few of them west of Newton Centre.
Tom Coughlin
Stow, MA
Tom coughlin

Postby Roadgeek Adam » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:45 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Due to problems out of my hands (someone among the two of us wanted to see the entirety of Interstate 190 instead of going to Grafton), we ended up visiting Worcester, then 5 straight stops on the Fitchburg (Fitchburg-Littleton/495). After traveling the city of Boston, we got Chelsea station, then after seeing the Big Dig and Tobin Bridge, we went down to south, saw Route 128-University Park. After that, we took MA 24 down to Stoughton, saw the end of the branch, then over to Brockton on the Middleborough/Lakeville. After that, we went riding through Rhode Island to Wickford Junction, which looks great by the way, then worked our way home after visiting Kingston Amtrak station.

I literally just got back in Jersey about a half hour ago.

For the record, I am at least a Patriots fan because I refuse to support the Jets and Giants, so :)

MBTA for my first run wasn't bad, I would appreciate paper timetables, but we couldn't find any, even at Route 128. Did we miss them or something?
Roadgeek Adam

Postby TrainManTy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:41 pm

Roadgeek Adam wrote:MBTA for my first run wasn't bad, I would appreciate paper timetables, but we couldn't find any, even at Route 128. Did we miss them or something?

Glad you had a good time. Paper timetables are available at North and South Stations, and maybe at Back Bay, but I haven't seen them anywhere else.
Tyler

TrainManTy

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)