Misleading Info at North Station?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Misleading Info at North Station?

Postby NRGeep » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:21 am

Got out of the Celtics win last night around 11:45pm and assumed that there were no more commuter trains scheduled since it was a Sunday night. Well, I and many other folks it seemed were fooled by the main sign which stated Lowell 0:10 am, Fitchburg 0:10am, Rockport 0:10am etc. At midnight the sign changed to the correct schedule for early trains starting around 5:30am. Ok, I should have known better, but in the postgame excitement it appeared that they were adding extra trains for this sporting event and many other people seemed to think the same thing. Perhaps they should not post those phantom 0:10am train times?
NRGeep

Re: misleading info at north Station?

Postby boblothrope » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:57 pm

NRGeep wrote:Got out of the Celtics win last night around 11:45pm and assumed that there were no more commuter trains scheduled since it was a Sunday night. Well, I and many other folks it seemed were fooled by the main sign which stated Lowell 0:10 am, Fitchburg 0:10am, Rockport 0:10am etc. At midnight the sign changed to the correct schedule for early trains starting around 5:30am. Ok, I should have known better, but in the postgame excitement it appeared that they were adding extra trains for this sporting event and many other people seemed to think the same thing. Perhaps they should not post those phantom 0:10am train times?

That sounds like a software bug. Those trains do run at 12:10 AM on weekdays. Of course *we* all know that the MBTA day runs from 5 AM to 1 AM, so 12:10 AM on Monday is part of Sunday for MBTA purposes. But maybe the software doesn't know it.

Can anyone confirm if this problem occurs every Sunday? What about on Saturdays?
boblothrope

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:37 pm

Perhaps the problem is that it thinks 12:10am on Monday is the same as Tues/Wed/Thu/Fri, as it recognizes Monday as a weekday. If so, I doubt it would show up on a Saturday (technically Sunday) night, as it would recognize that Sunday is not a weekday. I wonder then if the opposite is true for Friday, where it doesn't show the 12:10am trains for Saturday.
BostonUrbEx

Postby sery2831 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:34 am

That is correct, the signs were programmed for the 12:10am trains to operate on Mondays for some reason. This has been like it since the installation, but never has been fixed. It has been reported many times to management. On Friday's(Saturday AM) the signs do correctly show the last departures. The 12:10a trains operate Tuesday through Saturday and are noted as such in all out employee paperwork.

I am told this error is the system will be corrected.

Here is a picture of the board back in March: http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x253 ... 7629_n.jpg
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Re: Misleading Info at North Station?

Postby obienick » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:53 am

I thought it was SOP to hold the last outbound for a late event at the Garden? Certainly much better customer service than stranding 18,000 guests there. Honestly, it doesn't cost that much in the long run to hold 4 crews a half hour.
obienick

Postby sery2831 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:45 pm

Trains are held if it is advertised in advance. And in this case the hold would have been an unknown period of time. It would have been 30 minutes since we now know when the game ended. But some crews get dangerously close of outlawing(working past 12 hours) if trains are held more than 30 minutes.
sery2831

Postby boblothrope » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:45 pm

sery2831 wrote:But some crews get dangerously close of outlawing(working past 12 hours) if trains are held more than 30 minutes.

What do they do in that situation?
boblothrope

Postby sery2831 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:49 pm

The train has to be stopped before the crew reaches 12 hours. A new crew has to be called in and taxied to the train. This happens very rarely. Normally if trains are going to be delayed for holds, they will have crews in place for this situation to take the later trains.
sery2831

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)