Red Line track work

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Red Line track work

Postby MBTA3247 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:57 am

When I passes through JFK/UMASS today, I saw they were busy reballasting the storage siding north of the station.

EDIT: Upon taking a closer look on my way through a second time, they've also replaced a lot of the ties on the siding with new wood ones. At the moment they're bolting new supports for the third rail into place; it looks like they're going to re-install the third rail that was there before.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Re: Red Line track work

Postby diburning » Mon May 21, 2012 3:05 am

They're using some red hoplettes that say Railroad Construction Company, (I forget where), New Jersey for the ballast.

They were flagging every train through there, but they seem to be done or close to done by now.
diburning

Postby MBTA3247 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:06 pm

Dunno when they did it (I'm usually reading something on the train), but similar work has been done on the northbound Cabot Yard lead from the South Shore Extension.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:03 pm

I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere on these forums, but...

There's a plan to add a permenant HOV line (non-zipping, and make the zipper lane a permanent HOV in the other direction). This may include breakdown lane additions as well (probably does). In order to do so, the Red Line junction at JFK will be reconfigured and the Old Colony will be double tracked and placed in a tunnel under the highway.

The costs are enormous, but we'll probably bow to the highways and do it anyway.
BostonUrbEx

Postby The EGE » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:55 pm

What kind of reconfigured are we talking? Are we talking different interlockings, or are we talking a radical redesign - something like inbound and outbound platforms rather than the current separate branch line platforms?
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:15 pm

There would be one inbound platform and one outbound platform. So no more waiting to see which platform will see the first train. There's a discussion on ArchBoston, I'll try to find the associated articles and PDFs and such.
BostonUrbEx

Postby boblothrope » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:41 pm

BostonUrbEx wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere on these forums, but...

There's a plan to add a permenant HOV line (non-zipping, and make the zipper lane a permanent HOV in the other direction). This may include breakdown lane additions as well (probably does). In order to do so, the Red Line junction at JFK will be reconfigured and the Old Colony will be double tracked and placed in a tunnel under the highway.

The costs are enormous, but we'll probably bow to the highways and do it anyway.

It's a study on the MPO website. http://www.bostonmpo.org/bostonmpo/4_re ... ncept.html

There's all kinds of reports from stuff they've studied, but most of it will never happen.
boblothrope

Postby MBTA3247 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:08 pm

Something broke on the section of track between the west end of the yard and the diamond over the loop at Mattapan over the weekend. A track crew has been there for much of the day repairing the damage, which included replacing both rails.
MBTA3247

Postby Teamdriver » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:02 pm

Red Line in nature, interesting article:

100 YEARS AGO - Harvard to Park Street in EIGHT MINUTES
"While Boston is about to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Fenway Park, another major Boston landmark turns 100 this month. On March 23,1912 what we now call the Red Line opened between Harvard Square and Park Street. It cost $11,750,000 to build which would be $276,386,639.68 today.''
http://bythebanksoftherivercharles.blog ... et-in.html
Attachments
Harvard Square.JPG
Harvard Square.JPG (48.63 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
Teamdriver

Postby wicked » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:50 pm

I can't remember the last time that trip took just eight minutes.
wicked

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:03 pm

wicked wrote:I can't remember the last time that trip took just eight minutes.

"This train will be running express to Charles/MGH!" -- Then it takes 8 minutes to Park. ;)
BostonUrbEx

Postby The EGE » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:35 pm

wicked wrote:I can't remember the last time that trip took just eight minutes.

It doesn't any more, for several reasons. Charles/MGH (which didn't open till 1932) adds a minute or two, and the speed restrictions (not the fault of the MBTA) over the deteriorating Longfellow Bridge both add time to the trip. The curve into Harvard, which didn't exist until the 1983 rebuild, also adds a few seconds. The modern standard Park-Harvard time is 11 minutes.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby scottmac112 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:11 pm

Well my observations of this process are as follows:

1) The ride all the way from JFK/UMass to North Quincy is pretty bumpy now, but even worse coming into N. Quincy. Couldn't really tell what exactly they were doing though; the train passed very slowly through the work zone though (while they were working).

2) I'm a little peeved about this. To go ride the Ashmont/Mattapan segment of the Red Line, I now have to go after work (6 p.m.) instead of on a weekend. Hope I don't get mugged or murdered!
Scott
Loyal MBTA Customer Until August
scottmac112

Postby MBTA3247 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:56 pm

Or you could wait another week or two for them to finish their weekend track work.
MBTA3247

Postby AznSumtinSumtin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:38 pm

scottmac112 wrote:2) I'm a little peeved about this. To go ride the Ashmont/Mattapan segment of the Red Line, I now have to go after work (6 p.m.) instead of on a weekend. Hope I don't get mugged or murdered!

1. This is just for two more weekends. The PCCs aren't going anywhere. Wait it out like the rest of us.
2. You're not going to get mugged or murdered riding the High Speed Line at night. Not every black guy in the 'hood wants to pop a cap in yo' ass.
AznSumtinSumtin

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)