The T and snow.........

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby jwhite07 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:59 am

Willows, also known as CPF-WL, is in the town of Ayer about 3.5 miles east of Ayer Station. It's where the MBTA Fitchburg Line from Boston joins the GTI Freight Main Line from Lowell.
jwhite07

Postby octr202 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:43 pm

This morning I heard numerous stories of trips from Quincy and Dorchester to Cambridge on the Red Line taking 2-3 hours this morning.

People around Kendall were bailing out of the subway looking for buses, only to find out that they were in worse shape.

Its gonna be a long trip home. At least the T is reporting that they will be running extra trains this evening, although they're not saying when they'll run yet.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby ST214 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:02 pm

CR will be on a WEEKDAY schedule tomorrow, right????

I saw 1405 today, was about 50min late to Leominster. Nice thick ice all down the side of 1064.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby SnoozerZ49 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:56 pm

oooowww, my aching head! :( I'm glad today is over. Please don't scream at me, I'm only doing my job!
SnoozerZ49

Postby jwhite07 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:46 pm

This morning I heard numerous stories of trips from Quincy and Dorchester to Cambridge on the Red Line taking 2-3 hours this morning.

I didn't have a problem getting to Downtown Crossing on the Red Line very early this morning (and shockingly, the bus to the Red Line was right on time, too!) But it all fell apart once I walked upstairs to the Orange Line -- it took me almost two hours and three different trains to get from Downtown Crossing to Sullivan Square! :(

I'd heard that the Orange Line remained pretty screwed up all day long, so on the way home I avoided it by taking the 86 from Sullivan to Harvard and the Red Line from there. Worked out well.
jwhite07

Postby ST214 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:52 pm

Snoozer, i'm not yelling at you. However, some of the people out there may have. I only found 1 person today that knew it was a Saturday schedule, even with it scrolling on the signs. Shows noone reads them. I'll be out again tomorrow, so look for me.

BTW, WEEDAY schedule tommorow :-D
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby CSX Conductor » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:07 pm

octr202 wrote:People around Kendall were bailing out of the subway looking for buses, only to find out that they were in worse shape.

Well duh!! LOL :P

Common sense would tell ya that the mode of transprtation sheltered from the weather beneath the street would run better than the one on the street. (Or at least it should have) :wink:
CSX Conductor

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:41 pm

Why are they having so much trouble? It looked to me like all of the snow had been cleared from the subway tracks, so what is causing the delays?
Ron Newman

Postby CSX Conductor » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:16 pm

I wondered that also Ron. Possibly not enough personnel actually reporting for work?
CSX Conductor

Postby efin98 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:18 pm

Ron Newman wrote:Why are they having so much trouble? It looked to me like all of the snow had been cleared from the subway tracks, so what is causing the delays?

Crews not being able to get to the yards, switches fouling up, signalling problems...anything and everything that could force the trains to a crawl was happening. Murphy, could your law take a day off???!!!!
efin98

Postby jwhite07 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:08 am

The problems I had on the Orange Line were both snow and mechanical related. The first train I was on, they were apparently having some kind of air problem in the trainline... maybe frozen lines or snow getting in the coupler heads. Lots of scurrying around, sounds of dumping air, and troubleshooting (over the PA no less). Everyone off at State Street.

About 25 minutes or so later, the next train comes in, we load up, and onward to Haymarket, where we all got booted off again. No explanation evident or even given. I decided now was a good time to call the office and let them know I was running a bit behind, so I walked upstairs, called in, noted a couple of Neoplan buses I hadn't seen before, and then back down to hop the Green Line to North Station and try my luck from there. While I was waiting there, the now-empty train that everyone had been kicked off of at Haymarket a half hour before crept into the station southbound on the northbound track, stopped for a bit, and then headed back north quickly... getting a run up for the portal incline maybe? I don't think 01200s have sandboxes.

15 minutes after that, a third train came in. Third time was a charm, but of course by then it was sardine-room only. I recognized people I had seen on the first two trains! Nobody was really grumbling much, though.
jwhite07

Postby octr202 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:49 am

CSX Conductor wrote:
octr202 wrote:People around Kendall were bailing out of the subway looking for buses, only to find out that they were in worse shape.

Well duh!! LOL :P

Common sense would tell ya that the mode of transprtation sheltered from the weather beneath the street would run better than the one on the street. (Or at least it should have) :wink:

I was even stopped by some people looking for buses, saying they were running late and couldn't sit on teh subway any longer. They laughed at me when I suggested that things on rails would be faster.

All in all, the worst part is that people actually expected that they could get around quickly yesterday. C'mon folks...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Postby octr202 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:52 am

jwhite07 wrote:The problems I had on the Orange Line were both snow and mechanical related. The first train I was on, they were apparently having some kind of air problem in the trainline... maybe frozen lines or snow getting in the coupler heads. Lots of scurrying around, sounds of dumping air, and troubleshooting (over the PA no less). Everyone off at State Street.

About 25 minutes or so later, the next train comes in, we load up, and onward to Haymarket, where we all got booted off again. No explanation evident or even given. I decided now was a good time to call the office and let them know I was running a bit behind, so I walked upstairs, called in, noted a couple of Neoplan buses I hadn't seen before, and then back down to hop the Green Line to North Station and try my luck from there. While I was waiting there, the now-empty train that everyone had been kicked off of at Haymarket a half hour before crept into the station southbound on the northbound track, stopped for a bit, and then headed back north quickly... getting a run up for the portal incline maybe? I don't think 01200s have sandboxes.

15 minutes after that, a third train came in. Third time was a charm, but of course by then it was sardine-room only. I recognized people I had seen on the first two trains! Nobody was really grumbling much, though.

I wonder if the nice fine powder that we got is wrecking more than the usual level of havoc with the electrical systems. After all, this stuff was about the only thing that could bring the Pennsy's mighty GG1's to their knees.
octr202

Postby CRail » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:30 am

This morning on the B&A at CP-24 i noticed the switches were jam packed with snow. are they strong enough to still work or will they have to be shovelled out before they are used again?
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby CSX Conductor » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:40 pm

The switch heaters are only on the areas of the switch points of each switch. If the heaters fail, then a maintainer is sent out to either get them going again or clean out the switches.

Maybe the heaters were working and from you were standing it just looked like they were covered in snow. :wink:
CSX Conductor

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)