The T and snow.........

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby ST214 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:11 pm

I've actually been thinking about getting a digital lately, as i stare at my 20+ rolls of film that i need to get developed. I'm not quite sure about it yet. I want a big zoom, panaromic, and flash control.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:03 am

i have never once regreted about gettin gmy digital camera, it is awesome, delete the pictures that come out horrible, and a lot more space
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby fm535 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:55 am

I hope this gets a response before I head into work...

In the 6 years that I have lived in the city, the T has never had to shut down due to the snow. Has it happened in true blizzards? I am heading into Braintree this afternoon, and would really hate getting stuck down there. Will they give any lead time and post it on their site that they might close?
fm535

Postby fm535 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:00 am

I am going to post my own reply...in case anyone else is curious...I did a Yahoo search on MBTA and snow policy and got this:

"The Snow Plan - helping you to travel the system during inclement weather

We're Ready for the Snow

At the first indication that snow is on the way, our snow/sleet operations plan kicks in, working around the clock to keep the system moving.

Special heaters keep rails and switches ice-free to reduce delays. We also run trains 24 hours a day on service routes and in yards to prevent rails and overhead electrical wires from icing up. (If a train without passengers passes you by during bad weather, we're not ignoring you, chances are, it's clearing ice so other trains can run dependably.) Contractors do most of our snow plowing and shoveling. Major terminals and busways get first priority. (At bus stops, local municipalities are responsible for plowing.)

Transit updates are reported immediately here on the website, on radio and television stations, and on the SmarTraveler transit and traffic information line at (617) 374-1234 T-3.
Getting There Safely
Give yourself extra time to get where you need to go. As you travel, step carefully through the snow and on station stairs and platforms. "
fm535

Postby CSX Conductor » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:16 pm

You will get home tonight, don't worry about it. The bulk of the storm is supposedly gonna hit after midnight. :wink:
CSX Conductor

Postby SnoozerZ49 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:14 pm

Hi ST 214

I was on 1409 tonight, didn't see you though. Were you around the old station at North Leminster? We change crews on the main line at East Fitchburg so if you were at Fitchburg I missed you. Still with all that swirling snow I don't think I would have had much of a chance of seeing anything. Yup our engine was real sweet tonight, never worried, we have been having lots of problems though with the snow. The swirling stuff is getting in everywhere, a lot of the doors were freezing shut on us, and the snow wreaks havoc in the HEP cables, we were loosing light and heat as soon as it started snowing and blowing. Another advantage of the F-40's is that when you have to go back and restart or reset the HEP you don't have to slip and slide along the side of the engine. The GP-40 MCs HEP control panel is along the engineers side almost up to the hand brake stand. It can be mighty cold and slippery out there some nights!! Brrrr!

Keep taking those shots along the Fitchburg Route, we both know its the best commuter rail line :wink:
SnoozerZ49

Postby fm535 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:49 pm

I made it home, and the Red Line at 8pm was running alot of trains on the tracks. The head way was less than commuter rush-hour during a weekday! I felt badly for the outdoor crews. I noticed a lot of T track workers at all the major switches along the entire Braintree branch. I don't know if the switches were already freezing up or they were trying to avoid just that.

Note: Lots of Thrid Rail action along the entire route. I love seeing the fireworks a storm like this creates with the third rail!
fm535

Postby ST214 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:00 pm

Snoozer, i was actually in Worcester today. Left before the snow hit. Didn't see 1409 today, but i may see one tomorrow, and i plan on being out on Monday morning too. Being laid off has it's advantages, more viewing time!!!

BTW, anyone going to the train show in Leominster tomorrow besides me???
ST214

Postby efin98 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:08 pm

fm535 wrote:I made it home, and the Red Line at 8pm was running alot of trains on the tracks. The head way was less than commuter rush-hour during a weekday! I felt badly for the outdoor crews. I noticed a lot of T track workers at all the major switches along the entire Braintree branch. I don't know if the switches were already freezing up or they were trying to avoid just that.

It could be worse, they could be stuck plowing the busways over and over and over and over again... But then again, they are directly out in the elements. I am glad that someone has the gutts to do the hard jobs so that transit can keep moving!

Note: Lots of Thrid Rail action along the entire route. I love seeing the fireworks a storm like this creates with the third rail!

It's a great show at the JFK/UMass busway. There you can see the Commuter Rail trains, Braintree, Ashmont, Alewife, and Cabot bound trains going through with the light shows and dancing snow. I saw that firsthand a year ago during the blizzard of December lol. Darn late bus made me have to watch that entertainment :wink:
efin98

Postby Ron Newman » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:27 pm

the T transit updates page says that the Ashmont-Mattapan line has stopped running and is being bustituted tonight.
Ron Newman

Postby efin98 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:31 pm

Ron Newman wrote:the T transit updates page says that the Ashmont-Mattapan line has stopped running and is being bustituted tonight.

Unrelated to the current weather initially, it was the cold that originally shut down the line. The snow sealed the deal for the night though, simply couldn't clear the line enough to allow trains to operate.
efin98

Postby jwhite07 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:27 am

I don't think Mattapan's Type 3 plow is considered serviceable anymore, and there are no Lead Sleds based down there. It's not too much of a surprise that in this kind of snow, running PCCs all night just isn't enough to keep up with it.
jwhite07

Postby ST214 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:47 am

Are the plows up and runnin g on the CR???? If so, where, and when???? Inquiring cameras want to photograph!!!!
ST214

Postby Ron Newman » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:33 am

A friend called me from Park Street Station and told me that the Red Line is running only between Park Street and Alewife this morning. T people were telling northbound travelers that they had to wait on the 'wrong' platform to get to Alewife. She didn't know why.
Ron Newman

Postby CSX Conductor » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:09 pm

Perhaps there were problems with the switch nearest the platform on the northbound track and therefore all trains had to arrive on the southbound track and reverse from there as opposed to being able to cross to the northbound and reverse. Just a guess.
CSX Conductor

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)