The T and snow.........

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby CRail » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:49 pm

i was at a distance (on the chestnut st. crossing if you know where that is) so i didnt see if there was enough room for the switch to... well... switch.

thanks tho, that answers my question
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby CSX Conductor » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:58 pm

I know where Cherry street is......it's the crossing closest to CP-24
CSX Conductor

Postby CRail » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:36 pm

correct, so you can see how i would have missed the heaters.
CRail

Postby ST214 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:01 pm

Saw MOW digging out switches in Ayer today. Also got to see them load the box full of salt.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby fm535 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:48 am

Here it is Tuesday and almost midnight, and I was bused from North Quincy to JFK. As we got off the train, i went up to an inspector and asked if it was a derailment. He said no, something fell off the train and got jammed underneath!!! What the .... could fall off a train thats being maintained properly?!?!?!

I just think the T needs a true management shake-up, not more revenue. I see the orange coupler-covers and most of them are sitting on the ground and not on the couplers. I saw one of the non-Reddys cars on Monday and the last set of wheels on the last car were so jammed up with ice and snow, I was amazed the brakes worked at all. Do they care or do they just wait until something catastophic happens every time? I would like to know if this accident was a Reddy or one of the older trains. If anyone has any scoop on it...please post it.
fm535

Postby ST214 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:50 am

Welds could have failed, maybe bolts broke. Things that should have been caught before time, but were not.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:56 am

While waiting at Ashmont last night, I saw a large amount of sparking under both the arriving and departing Red Line trains. Is this normal in snow?
Ron Newman

Postby octr202 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:18 am

Ron Newman wrote:While waiting at Ashmont last night, I saw a large amount of sparking under both the arriving and departing Red Line trains. Is this normal in snow?

Probably...as long as its coming from the third rail, and not somewhere else under the train.

This week I've noticed some pretty impressive light shows on the Longfellow Bridge. Looking from in Kendall Square, Monday night I thought there were some highway dept. trucks or police cars stopped on the bridge with their lights on...only after I noticed the red lights moving away did I realize it was just the arcing from a train. Looked like strobe lights...
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby CRail » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:00 pm

red line sparks a lot, it is actually pretty neat, the best place ive noticed is porter square on the inbound platform.
CRail

Postby CSX Conductor » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:06 pm

fm535 wrote:I saw one of the non-Reddys cars on Monday and the last set of wheels on the last car were so jammed up with ice and snow, I was amazed the brakes worked at all. Do they care or do they just wait until something catastophic happens every time?

Ice and snow will not prevent the brakes from functioning, however, they will take a slight it longer to 'grab'. As the brakes are applied the friction against the wheels will cause heat and melt some of the ice. Besides, there is no way of preventing that build-up when the trains are running outside in the elements.
CSX Conductor

Postby typesix » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:05 pm

The arcing is normal and likely caused by the third rail ice scrapers that are mounted on the cars and manually lowered. All T subway cars have "snow brakes" that are activated by the operator in the cab. A constant 5psi brake pressure is maintained so that the shoe brake is lightly applied to melt any snow accumulation. The PCCs don't have this feature, which made some operators prefer drum brake cars to shoe brake cars.
typesix

Postby fm535 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:03 am

The Red Line is a lot of fun to watch with the amount of arcing and the shower of sparks it creates. Especially where there are switches, the shoes have to leave one set of rails and switch over to the other side, etc. With the flyover and all of the switches at JFK, there is always a large fireworks display going on as trains depart and enter the station. With the snow being higher than the rails, one set of third-rail shoes are always cutting thru the snow, without hitting a power source, on one side of the train or the other.
fm535

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)