Will the T ever run a themed subway train/hold a themed day?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Will the T ever run a themed subway train/hold a themed day?

Postby djimpact1 » Sun May 06, 2012 4:03 pm

In my readings on the annual running of the CTA's "Holiday Train" (done for 20 years & still going), will the MBTA ever consider the following:

1) Running a themed-subway train during a certain period of time (i.e. "Stars & Stripes"-wrapped cars for the week leading up to the 4th of July, or "Haunted Express" for the week that Halloween falls on)?
2) Altering the look of a certain set of cars & keeping it this way, running the set on certain/special occasions (i.e. a "Boston Sports" train w/ all cars wrapped, each one representing a local professional sports team - running this for & during a Sox or Bruins home game)?
3) Holding a themed day (i.e. "Riding the pasT", running a set of 0600's on Blue, the 01400's [cleaned-up] on Red & rollsign-reinstalled Type 7 on Green, OR "Open House", having people ride the D branch to Riverside & tour the facility and view/board the 3 Boeing LRV work cars)?

I think for any of the above options, it would be an opportunity for the MBTA to attract people to ride the system with intent of either riding or seeing these special cars...wanting to ride these themed/special cars means people spending $ on the system. Concerning the themed days, why not charge patrons who want to participate an extra buck or two upon entry of a car or facillity? I would think the T would be open to an additional way of generating possible revenue by offering people a chance to enjoy a rarity.

Thoughts?
A non-foaming rail enthusiast.

Member of a yet-to-be-determined transit social group
Do what you do, do it often, do it well....
djimpact1

Re: Will the T ever run a themed subway train/hold a themed

Postby 3rdrail » Sun May 06, 2012 4:53 pm

If it were me, I would do it regularly, especially in an age when holiday vintage railway travel is very much eliminated. I would love to see a Christmas holiday train similiar to Chicago's. However, having said that, I believe that the idea would be one of "can't do" from T management in an age where runs, service, personnel, and upkeep are reportedly doing a fine wire balancing act on the state's budget, as it would set up the wrong message of wealth and substanance.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Sun May 06, 2012 8:15 pm

It would be a great idea. NYCT runs an IRT special train each year during the Yankees playoffs.

They could restore and bring a Type 5 on the Green Line. As for the 01400s, they would need some work too.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby typesix » Mon May 07, 2012 11:33 am

In the past, for the US' 200th birthday, 3 PCC cars were painted white with the US flag on the sides. For the Green Line's 100th birthday, a LRV was shinkwrapped with a theme celebrating the event.
typesix

Postby jonnhrr » Mon May 07, 2012 12:22 pm

R36 Combine Coach wrote:They could restore and bring a Type 5 on the Green Line. As for the 01400s, they would need some work too.

Since the GL has been converted to pantograph operation, the only place I think a Type 5 could run unmodified would be the Mattapan Ashmont line.

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Mon May 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Modifying the Type 5 unit with a pantograph could be done, NJT did that with the Newark PCCs during their final months as the new catenary system was being installed.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby rethcir » Mon May 07, 2012 3:37 pm

In this age of austerity and billion dollar debt plus expansion mandates, I don't think the T could possibly get away with what might be considered "discretionary" spending. Maybe someday..
rethcir

Postby djimpact1 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:27 pm

rethcir wrote:In this age of austerity and billion dollar debt plus expansion mandates, I don't think the T could possibly get away with what might be considered "discretionary" spending. Maybe someday..

Agreed! Note that my examples cite using existing equipment that, with a little TLC & minimal investment for mostly esthetic (& minorly operational) purposes, could be utilized almost immediately.

I didn't mention using anything other than 0600 Blue Line cars, LRV Work Cars, the 01400 Work Cars or Type 7s because anything other than these (such as a Type 5) would require (likely) a HUGE investment. I know you have to spend $ to make $, but the proposed ideas are based on the intent of minimal investment on the T's part in order to start making some kind of extra revenue in a timely manner.

I mean, some type of "Open House" themed day composed of a modest admission wouldn't need much preparation for equipment. The T could charge $20 or $25 which could yield a "VIP Pass", usable for touring the Riverside, Reservoir, Wellington & Cabot facilities at any point during a 9am - 8pm timeframe...all reachable by everyday MBTA equipment (either directly or within very short walking distance from the T). This means potential money spent using the system on top of additional money spent to tour these facilities.

I'll even suggest an easier option...charge an extra few bucks to allow passengers the chance to ride on seldom-used trackage. Take a Green Line through the Brattle Loop, take a Blue Line through the Bowdoin Loop, or get that Wire Car or PCC/Type 5 collecting dust at Boylston out of there & get a Green Line running through that fenced-off track. Even if they can't be bothered moving the PCC & Type 5, just open the silly gate, have a CSR stand there & have him ask for a couple bucks to get in the fenced area & tour the cars.

With all the available (technically "retired") equipment that the T owns & still runs, along with seldom-used trackage & facilities that are operational anyways, I don't see the T needing to spend much money to get some extra money in. The most effort is probably advertising this properly & getting the word out well in advanced to give people time to spend their extra money in order to participate. I would throw-down $25 without hesitation if I knew I could tour Riverside & Cabot in a heartbeat...but the T will never get that from me if they don't give me the opportunity to spend it for that purpose.
A non-foaming rail enthusiast.

Member of a yet-to-be-determined transit social group
Do what you do, do it often, do it well....
djimpact1

Postby Fred Rabin » Wed May 09, 2012 8:46 pm

Run an excursion on the green line on weekends or early evenings in the summer using 3295. Set up a bar with drinks and nibbles.
Fred R
Fred Rabin

Postby SM89 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:55 am

Every December there is a polar express themed commuter rail trip for kids. I assume that they make some money with that.
SM89

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)