NYC photo ban - Boston fans should care about this

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

NYC photo ban - Boston fans should care about this

Postby RailBus63 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:44 am

I'm sure most MBTA fans have heard about the proposed New York City ban on photography on the subway/elevated system. You may think this doesn't affect railfans in Boston, but you would be wrong. If the NYCTA is successful in banning amateur photography on their system, it will have an effect elsewhere in the future. The MBTA has no love of railfan photographers, and if the NYCTA is successful the T could decide tomorrow to stop issuing photo permits and post notices in the stations and cars outlawing photography, with the threat of fines and/or arrest for those who are caught doing so. The proposed NYC photo ban will set a terrible precedent and must be stopped.

Not to be overly dramatic or anything, but this is the time for anyone who cares about railroad and transit photography to stand up and be counted.

A reminder to everyone reading this - if you haven't submitted a comment, you can do so online at http://mta.info/nyct/rules/proposed.htm . The comment period ends Monday, so please don't delay.

Even if you have no intention of ever taking a picture on the NYC subway, Il hope you'll take a few moments to stand up for our rights as photographers.

Jim D.
RailBus63

Postby CRail » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:07 am

I agree completely. I back you 100%. I will gladly say something, although i dont think it will make much of a difference.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby Pete » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:30 am

I know in another thread people said art comes after practical matters, but I liked this take on the issue from today's Times:

Want Shots Like This? Get a Permit
By SEWELL CHAN

Graffiti-covered trains fill a Brooklyn subway yard, looking like row upon row of comic strips. A weary passenger closes his eyes, his hands folded as if in prayer. A young couple embraces in a subway car in front of an advertisement that reads, "Don't Give Your Heart to Just Anyone."

Photographs of these separate moments have been exhibited or published over the past year as part of a swelling of interest in the New York City transit system, which celebrated its centennial in October. But the books and exhibitions also coincide with a proposal by transit officials to ban photography, as well as film and video recording, on subways and buses without authorization.

The ban, which is intended to combat terrorism, will take effect as soon as the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's board approves it.

Much of the attention on the ban has been focused on tourists who take innocuous snapshots. But its most profound effects may be on the artists and documentary makers chronicling life as it moves through the subway system, even though officials say these artists could get permits to continue their work.

Full text at http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/07/nyreg ... ubway.html
Pete

Postby CRail » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:07 am

Here she is:

crail wrote:To whom it may concern,
I am Corey Connors-Reynolds of Ashland, Massachusetts. A 17 year old railroad enthusiast with a hobby of railroad photography. I enjoy taking train pictures because I like being around the railroad and taking pictures captures the moment of excitement which can be shared amongst everyone who shares my interest. I doubt I will photograph your system in the near future, but a major part of being a railroad photographer is observing the work of other photographers.
Railroad enthusiasts who photograph railroads are also good for free marketing for your railroad. Many people take interests in trains, these people patronize the railroad and people who photograph also pay access to the system, and often dont ride, which basically provides free money for the system. Also, when people share their photographs on the internet or in person, they are creating or enhancing an awareness of the railroad which entices them viewers to visit the system which increases ridership.
Banning photography of the railroad is similar to taking sports off television, and really, no good can come of it. All a photo ban would do is make it more difficult to enjoy public transportation, or for tourists to capture memories. All I ask is that you take this into consideration, and take a second look at what your doing, re-evaluate your strategy. This will have no effect on homeland security. If a terrorist wants to strike, they will... with or without a photo ban.

Thank you for your time,
-Corey Connors-Reynolds

RB63: I also quoted your post in a new thread on the photography and video forum so it can be seen more abroadly.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby jrc520 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 am

Oh dear - I didn't know that the ban was still in the works. Still, this is Boston - we'd just pick the person telling us no photos up, put them down behind us, and snap away. It's why I love Boston :-)
jrc520

Postby GP40MC 1116 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:05 pm

Saddly enough Boston has it's own dificulty's to photograph trains or anything on the system for that matter.
GP40MC 1116

Postby Robert Paniagua » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:31 pm

Well, with Rob (pka I Hate Ads) this is no problem, since I VIDEOtape. And I've been able to circumvent all those photo bans in NYC and what have you, and I also have the capability of running away in case an officer approaches me, I will not succumt to (give in to) an officer who wants my personal information, no way! Won't happen with me :-).

Even though I got pulled over in WMATA 3 years back but that was still pictures, not movies.

FYI I now just sent the NYCTA a response to their photo ban, see that letter I posted in the NYCTA Forum.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby RailBus63 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:17 pm

I'm sure most employees and law enforcement officials will construe the ban as prohibiting videography as well.

And I hope you're joking about running away from an officer - you'll spend a night or weekend in a holding cell for sure if you do that.

JD
RailBus63

Postby Robert Paniagua » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:10 pm

And I hope you're joking about running away from an officer - you'll spend a night or weekend in a holding cell for sure if you do that.

Yeah I was, everyone should comply no matter what, I did while I was in WMATAland, and got a nice little verbal warning.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby Fred Stacey » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:26 am

RailBus63 wrote:I'm sure most employees and law enforcement officials will construe the ban as prohibiting videography as well.

JD

Look on the bight side, my friend. I know the NYPD won't hassle railfans after they get told that photos and videographyare to be allowed, so no need to worry or panic. All these law enforcement personnel officials need to do is "get over the paranoia".
Fred Stacey

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)