Green Line Street Crossings Back to Asphalt?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Green Line Street Crossings Back to Asphalt?

Postby mgdemarco » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:00 am

Hi, this week on the C line at Englewood Avenue the vinyl/rubber coverings were removed and asphalt was put down. It seems the T has recently done this to some other crossings on the C line. Is this due to cars slidding on the vinly/rubber when it is wet? Is there a plan to asphalt all crossings on the Green Line?
mgdemarco

Re: Green Line Street Crossings Back to Asphalt?

Postby shawnp » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:39 pm

The hirail rubber was also recently removed on the Boston College line at the Strathmore crossing right before Chestnut Hill Ave as well. It looks like some of the other rubber along the line doesn't look too good in places.
shawnp

Postby Patrick Boylan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:39 am

I don't know much about paving, but I'd assume that the steel wheels run on the steel rails, so rubber around the rails shouldn't matter, wet or dry.
I'd expect deteriorating rubber to stick less and so not clog the flangeway as much as asphalt would, so unless they also have flange guard girder rail, or the more prevalent nowadays extra piece of rail for a flange guard, I don't see why they'd want asphalt.
Patrick Boylan

Location: Here is a stupid picture, pay attention to me. Burlington Township, NJ 08016

Postby MBTA3247 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:51 am

Patrick Boylan wrote:I don't know much about paving, but I'd assume that the steel wheels run on the steel rails, so rubber around the rails shouldn't matter, wet or dry.

The original poster was referring to automobiles sliding on the rubber. Obviously the trolleys aren't operating on it.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby railwye » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:18 pm

MBTA3247 wrote:
Patrick Boylan wrote:I don't know much about paving, but I'd assume that the steel wheels run on the steel rails, so rubber around the rails shouldn't matter, wet or dry.

The original poster was referring to automobiles sliding on the rubber. Obviously the trolleys aren't operating on it.

Yes, and what about pedestrians sliding on the rubber?
railwye

Postby Rbts Stn » Tue May 01, 2012 10:08 am

railwye wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:

Yes, and what about pedestrians sliding on the rubber?

If they all did, there would be fewer pedestrians in the future.
Rbts Stn

Postby Patrick Boylan » Tue May 01, 2012 10:22 am

I had my railfan blinders on. Gee who knew other people refer to them things as cars? I always call them "the devil's vehicles".

If automobile or less than sure footed pedestrian sliding were an issue maybe they could have punched some perforations into the rubber, which I'd guess would improve traction over a smooth surface. Wouldn't that have been cheaper than removing the rubber and rebuilding the whole thing in asphalt?

Also hasn't the world had enough experience with rubberized crossings already to have decided if they're wet automobile friendly?
Patrick Boylan

Location: Here is a stupid picture, pay attention to me. Burlington Township, NJ 08016

Postby The EGE » Tue May 01, 2012 2:59 pm

They were doing some word on the Blandford Street crossing on the B line last night - might be related to this.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby diburning » Tue May 01, 2012 10:53 pm

Maybe they're using the wrong type of rubber?

The rubber crossings ARE slippery when tiny ice crystals form in the grooves in the winter (not so much when wet), but they appear to be a different texture from the rubber used in the gaskets that line the tracks on the street-running portion of the E branch. The rubber gaskets on both sides of the rails on the E branch were installed so that rubber tired vehicles would not slip on the rails when wet.

Maybe if they used the type/texture of rubber that's used on the Huntington ave gaskets for the crossings, it might work out better.
Last edited by diburning on Wed May 02, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
diburning

Postby tom18287 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:26 pm

asphalt crossings are always much smoother then rubber ones, as far as driving at least.
tom18287

Postby The EGE » Fri May 04, 2012 10:49 am

At Blandford Street, doesn't look like they actually replaced any of the street crossing with asphalt - just the pedestrian crossing.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby Rbts Stn » Fri May 04, 2012 12:45 pm

Busing on part of the B line this weekend per MBTA service alert: http://mbta.com/rider_tools/transit_upd ... ne#details

Buses will replace Green Line trolleys between Blandford Street and Babcock Street on the B from the start of service through the end of service on Saturday, May 5. Buses will make stops at all stations between Blandford Street and Babcock Street.
Rbts Stn

Postby MBTA13 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:24 pm

It seems to be that the Green line is paving alot of the street crossings. The T started up at Cleveland Circle and are working there way back towards Boston paving the whole crossing and not just the pedestrian walks
MBTA13

Postby SM89 » Sun May 06, 2012 7:16 am

I'm in the Netherlands right now and pretty much none of their tram (light rail) tracks have exposed ties. They are either street running or have grass surrounding the rails. If it can be done here, why can't the green line do it? It looks much nicer and if cost really was an issue, I doubt they would continue to do it here.
SM89

Postby The EGE » Sun May 06, 2012 12:37 pm

Page 42: http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/About ... %20CIP.pdf

Green Line Grade Crossing and Track Reconstruction:
The project is rebuilding 7 Green Line grade crossings and track on the B-Line: 2 on
Beacon Street and 5 on Commonwealth Avenue. This project will provide improved
performance and more reliable service.
The EGE

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)