MBTA Commuter Rail Map Updates

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

MBTA Commuter Rail Map Updates

Postby artman » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:03 am

The new MBTA Commuter Rail map is up showing Wickford Junction. Looks cleaner and more detailed, but also more 'schematic' and less geographically accurate. Maybe they are just running out of room...

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/
artman

Re: MBTA Commuter Rail Map Updates

Postby The EGE » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:09 am

I definitely like this better than the 2010 map. The thicker, transit-style match maps in stations and just plain look better.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby agarturbo » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:48 am

Nice to see the Wildcat branch on there. I know that the Downeaster uses that. Do any MBTA revenue trains use it?

BTW - saw this yesterday from the train on my way in. I Think it was Brandeis-Robert, inbound platform (I noticed the wildcat branch - don't remember seeing that on any prior maps)
Trains don't run on schedules, son. They run on tracks.
agarturbo

Postby sery2831 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:50 am

The Wildcat Branch is wrong. Shows it coming in between Ballardvale and Andover. It comes in between North Wilmington and Ballardvale. The last map it showed it incorrectly as well, coming in before North Wilmington. I am glad to see Mishawum is listed as a non handicap station finally.

There are schedule revenue moves over the Wildcat and dead head moves at night.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:59 pm

This is probably my favorite version of the map so far. Enough to included all subway/rapid transit lines and major transfer points. This is a condensed version, though.

A more complete version appears on the MassDOT Official State Map.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:11 pm

R36 Combine Coach wrote:This is probably my favorite version of the map so far. Enough to included all subway/rapid transit lines and major transfer points. This is a condensed version, though.

And, for the ultimate-supreme-ultra map, there's: http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/ ... tewide.pdf

They even have the South Coast Rail stations already added. :P
BostonUrbEx

Postby jamesinclair » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:28 am

I really loved what I saw on top, and then I scrolled down and....ew.

Its a commuter rail map, they need to shrink downtown area and leave more room for the outer parts. The whole southern section is a mess.

And I think Providence should be bolded.
jamesinclair

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:17 am

BostonUrbEx wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:This is probably my favorite version of the map so far. Enough to included all subway/rapid transit lines and major transfer points. This is a condensed version, though.

And, for the ultimate-supreme-ultra map, there's: http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/ ... tewide.pdf

They even have the South Coast Rail stations already added. :P

Ugh. They introduced even more errors on the March 2012 update than the 2007 version. I can understand that the private ownership records are a crapshoot, but the state by now should at least have accounted for all the stuff it owns itself and account for actual last-decade-vintage STB filings on line activity and ownership transfer. Like all the phantom northside PAR yards, all the disappeared EOT-landbanked lines, the CSX blotches still remaining on the South Coast, the invisible MassCoastal-reactivated portion of the Fall River Line, having CSX Readville yard in the wrong place, the OOS MBTA lines that have reverted to abandoned/landbanked, so on and so on. That's where stuff got wronger than the '07 version.

I do think it's adorable that the Arborway trolley is still OOS and "sleeping". That's even better than the phantom South Coast Rail stations.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:44 pm

This isn't so much commuter rail specific, but the 'system map' has been updated.

Bus: JP Loop, 25, 355 removed. Clean up in Salem and Lynn areas noticeable. I'm sure alot more, too.
Subway: Assembly Square added.
Commuter Rail: Fairmount Line updated with all under construction/planned stations being added and labeled as such.
BostonUrbEx

Postby The EGE » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:03 am

Talbot Ave has also been added to the commuter rail-only map, as has an unlabeled dot for Four Corners/Geneva.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby The EGE » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:23 am

The new printed full-system maps are out; I picked one up at Kenmore this afternoon. The large-format maps are pretty much the same except for the 2012 service changes, but the whole-system stylized map has some interesting changes:

Amtrak icon shown at stations (except Framingham, for some reason)
Subway and Silver Line routes labeled
Wildcat Branch added and labeled
New stations at Wickford Junction and Talbot Avenue added
Under-construction stations at Newmarket and Four Corners/Geneva listed; clear gap left for Blue Hill Avenue (which is listed as "Proposed" on the main map)
Wachusett station added with a dotted line
Assembly Square added - to my knowledge, the first (non-geographic) MBTA map showing the station
The EGE

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)