Silver Line Tunnel Loop

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Silver Line Tunnel Loop

Postby ThinkBoston » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:28 am

[had to create new topic; tried using the 'Old Loop Under South Station', but only drew yet another irrelevant question]

The last reference I could find to the space directly under the current South Station headhouse (and by that I want to make sure we mean the large indoor waiting area) indicated that it was being used for offices and storage. I'm wondering about the Silver Line bus loop; where is the bus loop tunnel located?

If the Silver Line platforms at South Station are perpendicular to the Red Line platforms, the inbound Silver Line comes in from the north, drops off passengers on one platform and then loops and returns outbound. How far do the buses go when they loop, how large is the loop, and does the bus loop consume all of the space below the headhouse?
ThinkBoston

Re: Silver Line Tunnel Loop

Postby BostonUrbEx » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:12 pm

The loop is under Atlantic Ave in the Essex St vicinity. Supposedly with a provision for a tunnel down Essex St.
BostonUrbEx

Postby wicked » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:15 pm

Always wanted to ride on this loop and the Bowdoin loop. Wish I could make it happen...
wicked

Postby ThinkBoston » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:03 pm

Excellent! Thank you, BostonUrb. So, it appears they didn't disturb the area immediately under South Station headhouse.
ThinkBoston

Postby Charliemta » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:44 pm

Here is a map of the loop from a planning document for the tunnel:

Long live the "El"
Charliemta

Postby sery2831 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:19 pm

The loop as I recall has two sets of wire, so one can lay over inside or be passed. There is the provision for the extension in there as well. They can fit the specialized tow trucks in the are where the tunnel is to continue. Opening day they allowed invited guests to the ribbon cutting to ride the loop. I rode the loop twice, but have not been back since.

Pictures from that day. The shot of the tow truck in the tunnel out the window is in the South Station Loop: http://sery2831.smugmug.com/Other/Silve ... 54&k=ZQNgK
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby ThinkBoston » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Thank you, CharlieMTA! The map is great. And, thanks to Sery2831 for the pics, going to look at them now.
ThinkBoston

Postby Gerry6309 » Tue May 15, 2012 3:50 pm

Four years ago BSRA chartered a dual-mode Neoplan for a fantrip and we got to ride around that loop. It's well lit but nothing spectacular.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)