Chestnut Hill Ave Tracks

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Chestnut Hill Ave Tracks

Postby DelmoreNH » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm moving out of Massachusetts next month after living in Newton for a few years, and I've always wanted to see a non-revenue train using the trackage between Cleveland Circle and Comm Ave. Do they still move equipment over these tracks regularly? If so, are there any regular times of day when I might have a higher chance of seeing such a move? I'm hoping to see this happen at least once before I leave, and I don't mind waiting around there for a while to make it happen. Thanks in advance for your input!
DelmoreNH

Re: Chestnut Hill Ave Tracks

Postby TomNelligan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:37 am

The Chestnut Hill Avenue trackage is in regular use. Go there at the beginning or end of the morning or evening rush hour and you're sure to see cars deadheading between the Reservoir yard and the Boston College terminal. (There isn't enough space at Lake Street to store all of the cars used for Comm Ave service.)
TomNelligan

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:49 am

Lunch hour when they do shift changes is also a good time to see it in action.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby shawnp » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:04 am

The Boston College train that I get on at Chiswick every morning at 6:30am comes up Chestnut Hill Ave. I would say if you went for 6:25am you would see it. That is early though :)
shawnp

Postby Rbts Stn » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:24 am

I lived in Cleveland Circle for most of the 1980s, and I'd wager that every time I wanted to continue down Beacon Street towards the reservoir there was a damn train blocking my way on Chestnut Hill Ave.
Rbts Stn

Postby bostontrainguy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:07 pm

You will see trains deadheading from Boston College Station (inbound) down to Reservoir Yard (through Cleveland Circle) after all shifts since they are stored there for the night. You will also see trains go uphill from the Reservoir Yard to the BC line inbound in the morning. When there is a lot of moves you will see an inspector in a white SUV at the switch on Comm Ave to help out. Trains can no longer go outbound on the BC line and down the hill to Cleveland Circle since the switch was removed after an accident a few years ago. You will also not see any trains go outbound on Beacon Street and then up the hill to Comm Ave since the tracks are there but out of service at this time. But basically the tracks you ask about are used frequently.
bostontrainguy

Postby mgdemarco » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:09 pm

Why is the outbound track from Beacon Street to Chestnut Hill Avenue out of service at this time?
mgdemarco

Postby bostontrainguy » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:29 pm

mgdemarco wrote:Why is the outbound track from Beacon Street to Chestnut Hill Avenue out of service at this time?

Not sure, probably track condition but trains are not allowed to use it at this time. They need to go into the yard and change ends to go up the hill.
bostontrainguy

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:54 pm

mgdemarco wrote:Why is the outbound track from Beacon Street to Chestnut Hill Avenue out of service at this time?

They did that some time after 3879 derailed, downed a wire, and caught fire at the switch back in 2008. Track and switches at the junction were in poor condition, and they very rarely need to make Reservoir carhouse moves to/from down the hill on the B so it was removed from service until whenever it is those tracks are next up for replacement.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby Mcoov » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:24 pm

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:...it was removed from service until whenever it is those tracks are next up for replacement.

Knowing the T, they'll just remove them under the guise of temporary suspension.
Mcoov

Postby mgdemarco » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:45 am

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:

They did that some time after 3879 derailed, downed a wire, and caught fire at the switch back in 2008. Track and switches at the junction were in poor condition, and they very rarely need to make Reservoir carhouse moves to/from down the hill on the B so it was removed from service until whenever it is those tracks are next up for replacement.

I think we talking about different track. I meant the outbound track from the end of the C line.
mgdemarco

Postby Philip Wirth » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:17 pm

Is that section actually out of service, or is there just no operational reason to use it? With the way the tracks and current operations are structured, I doubt it would make much sense to use that section of track even if it were to be available. Plus, everybody that lives in that area knows how much they love to block traffic for three straight light cycles.
Philip Wirth

Postby bostontrainguy » Tue May 01, 2012 5:11 pm

It is out of service.
bostontrainguy

Postby Gerry6309 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:01 am

Before the opening of the main tracks between Packards Corner and Chestnut Hill Av. and during various closures of that section a Lake St. via Beacon service was offered. Other than that, the curve there is of little use and is not a high maintenance priority.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby Teamdriver » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:16 am

Not sure if this is the most pertinent place to post this ,but nevertheless ,there are a few nice older trolley pictures at Cleveland Circle among this collection. which is also interesting:
Cleveland Circle history, recent changes
http://www.boston.com/yourtown/boston/a ... t=150&cp=1
Attachments
Cleveland Circle Trolley , old.jpg
Cleveland Circle Trolley , old.jpg (39.92 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
Teamdriver

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)