B to Gov Center, C to North Station.

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

B to Gov Center, C to North Station.

Postby jumbotusk » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:43 am

FROM MBTA:
The inbound B (Boston College) branch of the Green Line now terminates at Government Center, instead of its previous North Station stop.

The inbound C (Cleveland Circle) branch terminates at North Station, instead of its previous Government Center stop.

This is due to on-going scheduled construction. Creating a better ride in 2005.

Why the switch? On-going construction? What could that be? Its not like trains are avoiding certain tracks or areas... they just switched up the turnaround.... anyone have any ideas or know anything for sure?
jumbotusk

Postby CSX Conductor » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:01 am

That was the way the two routes operated for many years before. Possibly because it is further from BC than it is from Cleveland Circle?

All I know is the C Line always terminated on the lower level of North Station and the B Line always terminated @ Govt. Center until they did away with the lower level service on the Green Line.
CSX Conductor

Postby jwhite07 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:20 pm

The Type 8s operate mostly on the B line right now, and because of speed restrictions they are often looped at Government Center anyway to try to recover their schedule. Seems that will be permanent now.

The practice of terminating the Boston College line at Government Center and the Cleveland Circle line at North Station was indeed the "way it was" just prior to the closure of the Canal Street surface terminal in 1997, and for quite a few years before that too (except for brief periods here and there, it generally held true back to 1983). However it's not the "historical" termini of these lines by any means... over the years, the inbound terminus of any given line changed rather frequently!
jwhite07

Postby CRail » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:32 pm

I was wondering how i picked up a B at north station the other day. Does the D and E line still go to north station? It never really made sense to me that the D train went the farthest (to riverside) and then went all the way to Lechemere while the shorter lines (except E) turned around.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby BC Eagle » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:20 pm

Currently the "E" goes to North Station and the "D" terminates at Government Center.
BC Eagle

Postby ST214 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:38 pm

I picked up a E out of north station on friday. Also saw 2 3-car D's.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby jumbotusk » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:53 am

Wow... you saw some green line trains on the green line!

Wowie!!!
jumbotusk

Postby RailBus63 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:18 am

I was told that the Type 8's were moving over to the C route with this change, and the Boeings would take their place on the B. Has anyone noticed any sign of this change?

JD
RailBus63

Postby CRail » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:08 pm

why for would this they do?
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby efin98 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:13 pm

sounds like isolating them to the easiest line to run on. Short, no street running required, less crowded overall, lower speeds.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this going full circle for the Boeings? Didn't they start out on the B Line?

And to get this on topic, I love the fact that I don't have to fight through a crowd of people to get off at Park Street like I have to do on the B and E Line to get to the Red Line stairs...a benefit of that back staircase on the Type 7s and Boeings!
efin98

Postby jwhite07 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:25 pm

why for would this they do?

You doing a Yoda? :wink:

Uhhh, for why they would this be doing is because the Beacon Street line is a whole lot shorter, straighter, and flatter than the Commonwealth Avenue line. The Type 8s are running under speed restrictions and frankly wreaking merry havoc on the schedule keeping of the B line. Better to throw them over to a less busy and less operationally taxing route which just happens to have a nice big full-service carhouse at its end. And besides, judging from the relatively high percentage of elderly riders, I think Beacon Street is a prime place for these cars.
jwhite07

Postby RailBus63 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:48 pm

efin98 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this going full circle for the Boeings? Didn't they start out on the B Line?

No, the LRV's entered service on December 30, 1976 on the Riverside line and short-turns to Kenmore. According to the NETransit website, LRV's began running 1/16/78 on Northeastern-Park Street short-turns, 1/20/78 on Beacon Street, and 9/9/78 on Commonwealth Ave.

JD
RailBus63

Postby efin98 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:53 pm

OK, I stand corrected.
efin98

Postby ST214 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:51 pm

Jumbotusk, the post prior stated the E was operating to North Station. I just let others know that the E was running there on the 31st. Also, 3 car trains were once a big deal. Are they normal now???
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby BC Eagle » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:43 pm

I haven't been on the Green Line this week, but I have been in North Station twice a day. Since the change, I have observed no Bredas in North Station, which suggests to me that they are not on the C-Line. During the period of time when the Bredas were on the C-Line almost exclusively, they were pretty much the only trolley type to serve that line. I also noticed several Boeings in North Station, which I had never seen until this week.
BC Eagle

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)