Fenway Park desination

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Fenway Park desination

Postby RFP » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:11 pm

Hello and a quick question. Was there ever a trolley stop at Fenway Park, as there was at Braves Field, since I see some type 4 and/or 5 postcards with Fenway Park as the destination? Just curious and thanks for the great forum.
RFP

Re: Fenway Park desination

Postby diburning » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Maybe. If there was a stop, it would probably be on Boylston st, which isn't exactly right outside the park. Boylston st appears to be very wide, which is a possible indication of past trolley service.

This aerial taken in 1929, (17 years after Fenway Park opened) shows NO trolley line going down Brookline Ave (bottom center). It may be because it would need to cross that main line which appears to be the B&A. That doesn't mean that it was impossible to add service later.
diburning

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:19 pm

diburning wrote:Maybe. If there was a stop, it would probably be on Boylston st, which isn't exactly right outside the park. Boylston st appears to be very wide, which is a possible indication of past trolley service.

This aerial taken in 1929, (17 years after Fenway Park opened) shows NO trolley line going down Brookline Ave (bottom center). It may be because it would need to cross that main line which appears to be the B&A. That doesn't mean that it was impossible to add service later.

Never any tracks out of Kenmore on Brookline Ave., although there was always a bridge over the B&A. There was a line with direct stop in front of Fenway: the 58 Mass Station-Cypress St. (Brookline). Ran from Mass Ave. (surface station at present-day Hynes), up Boylston St., up Ipswich St. and Van Ness St. around Fenway, Brookline Ave. to Brookline Village, and Route 9/Boylston St. a few blocks to Cypress. Bustituted in 1932 and now sort of covered by the 55 bus.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby ferroequinologist » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:17 pm

I assume, then, that streetcar predecessors of the 8, 19, 60, and 65 buses didn't run down Brookline Ave. I think Kenmore was close enough to make a Fenway streetcar stop unnecessary. On a related note, does the T use the Kenmore loop to have trains wait to take people back from Fenway? I never have seen them do it, and it's really crowded at Kenmore after Sox games.
ferroequinologist

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:54 pm

Did it specifically say "Fenway Park" as a destination, or simply "Fenway"? Could have meant the Fenway neighborhood.
BostonUrbEx

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:29 am

BostonUrbEx wrote:Did it specifically say "Fenway Park" as a destination, or simply "Fenway"? Could have meant the Fenway neighborhood.

That seems to make sense, as the (modern day example) "D" Line Fenway station refers not to the ballpark per se, but the area. In fact the D's stop at Fenway is further from the park than Kenmore (but until 2007 the Red Sox actually encouraged fans heading home on the D to use the Fenway stop since the outbound fare was free).
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby RFP » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:17 am

Hopefully, the attachment can be seen!
Attachments
trolley07.jpg
trolley07.jpg (56.54 KiB) Viewed 2845 times
RFP

Postby BigUglyCat » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:49 am

Thanks, RFP. Is that from a museum site?
BigUglyCat

Postby RFP » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:39 pm

This is from a Seashore postcard that appears to be c post 1964 as it has a zip code of the printer and appears not to be of new vintage.
RFP

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:38 pm

That would make sense to short-turn on the 58 trolley that ran by Fenway. Braves Field Loop was used in similar fashion out of the subway for games. Including up until 1962 for BU/Nickerson Field events. And right to this day they pack the Blandford St. pocket and Kenmore Loop as full as they can go to have trains originate at Kenmore for the return trip. Pre-'32 Kenmore of course just dumped mid-Square without the underground station, so reversing direction at the surface stop while feeding that many branches would've been very awkward if not impossible. And I'm not sure the Blandford pocket even existed until after the new portal was built so Braves Field may have been the nearest turnback out of the subway, with surface track on Beacon to/from Mass. station being the only other option for moving that volume of people in and out of Kenmore.

It would've made for very fast and much more efficient than Kenmore egress to keep running back and forth, back and forth on the 58 between the ballpark and Mass. station only a few blocks away. Line was full double-track, so they could've used double-ended cars and a crossover somewhere on the blocks around the park.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby wicked » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:08 am

ferroequinologist wrote:I assume, then, that streetcar predecessors of the 8, 19, 60, and 65 buses didn't run down Brookline Ave.

The 8 and 19 have only been extended to Kenmore in the post-streetcar era. 8 ran to Dudley and then Ruggles until the late '80s, and the 19 ran only to Ruggles until relatively recently (sometime after 2000?).
wicked

Re: Fenway Park destination

Postby Rbts Stn » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:43 pm

Evidently there was a serious SNAFU at the Fenway Green line station last night (Saturday) for outbound traffic. I'm still getting details, but it sounds like they were letting folks pay to enter the station at the temporary gate near the old Sears building (like always), yet there were no outbound trains at all due to trees down near Eliot station. Once folks were informed of the issue, refunds were refused, the best they were offering was an inbound trip to Kenmore, switch to "C" line to Cleveland Circle, walk up the hill to Reservoir, and "D" train it back in to your stop. If your destination was East of Reservoir, of course.

Anyone hear anything more specific/accurate?
Rbts Stn

Postby Disney Guy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:21 pm

Rbts Stn wrote:Evidently there was a serious SNAFU at the Fenway Green line station last night (Saturday) for outbound traffic. I'm still getting details, but it sounds like they were letting folks pay to enter the station at the temporary gate near the old Sears building (like always), yet there were no outbound trains at all due to trees down near Eliot station. Once folks were informed of the issue, refunds were refused, the best they were offering was an inbound trip to Kenmore, switch to "C" line to Cleveland Circle, walk up the hill to Reservoir, and "D" train it back in to your stop. If your destination was East of Reservoir, of course.?

How could you "D" train it back in to your stop (inbound from Reservoir) if there weren't trains continuously running from downtown to Reservoir?

And once we have service out to Reservoir (or Newton Hignlands) people can be bussed the rest of the way.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby Wally1912 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:50 pm

In the Fenway Park: 100 Years book published by the Red Sox, there is a picture on page 76 showing trolleys outside the right field entrance to the park. The caption on page 77 reads: "Waiting to enter Fenway Park in 1914, a throng of Red Sox supporters queued off Ipswich Street."

Wally1912

Postby Rbts Stn » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:33 am

Disney Guy wrote:
Rbts Stn wrote:Evidently there was a serious SNAFU at the Fenway Green line station last night (Saturday) for outbound traffic. I'm still getting details, but it sounds like they were letting folks pay to enter the station at the temporary gate near the old Sears building (like always), yet there were no outbound trains at all due to trees down near Eliot station. Once folks were informed of the issue, refunds were refused, the best they were offering was an inbound trip to Kenmore, switch to "C" line to Cleveland Circle, walk up the hill to Reservoir, and "D" train it back in to your stop. If your destination was East of Reservoir, of course.?

How could you "D" train it back in to your stop (inbound from Reservoir) if there weren't trains continuously running from downtown to Reservoir?

And once we have service out to Reservoir (or Newton Hignlands) people can be bussed the rest of the way.

This is what I'm trying to find out. They were told "no buses, we're holding them until the end of the game (there were two rain delays totaling 2 1/2 hours, so this story is from around the 5th inning). I'm trying to get more details and corroborating information (yes, I know multiple people who still go to those games), and supposedly there were no trains running west of Fenway at all.
Rbts Stn

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)