Fenway Center / Yawkey Station Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Fenway Center hits home run ( Yawkey Station )

Postby The EGE » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:31 pm

When fully built, it'll be an impressive station. Two full-length high-level platforms with a crossover bridge halfway between Beacon and Brookline. Entrances directly from both overpasses, fully accessible.

It's questionable whether we're looking at two side platforms, or a side and an island. The renderings on the signs seem to show a side platform on the parkign lot side and then and island platform between the two tracks. But the T usually goes for a pair of sides.

With Amtrak looking to add Inland Regionals and the T having the chance to finally run the full line with no freight interference, the T is going to be eliminating people crossing the tracks. The three Newton stops will get the same treatment soon enough.
The EGE

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:45 pm

I meant a temporary ped crossing during construction, of course. If they were going to do that permanently, well, something would be pretty screwed up with their planning process, lol.
BostonUrbEx

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:36 pm

The return of Inland Regionals? It has been a decade since the last NortheastDirect inland roundtrip (142/145) ran in 2002, although weekends only towards the end.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:55 pm

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The return of Inland Regionals? It has been a decade since the last NortheastDirect inland roundtrip (142/145) ran in 2002, although weekends only towards the end.

Yes, that's in Amtrak's cap improvements plan. After the Springfield Line improvements are complete. Only a couple at first, but after the B&A is double-tracked and SS expanded the service plan is 10-per-day Inlands by 2025.

They're never going to stop at Yawkey, though. I can't imagine it would be any more than the usual Springfield-Worcester-Framingham-Back Bay stops the LSL's make. At very most maybe they chuck in an infill at Palmer after a few years to break up the station spacing, but there's no additional Worcester Line stops that make any bit of sense to add to an intercity schedule.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby The EGE » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:57 pm

Amtrak wants to run them, possibly as soon as New Haven-Springfield Line upgrades are complete on a 2012 timescale. Connects Hartford and Springfield with Worcester and Boston, and frees up some Shore Line slots for Acelas or Shore Line East.
The EGE

Postby Komarovsky » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:12 am

A little off topic, but are they planning to upgrade the track to get speeds above 60mph as part of the plan to add inland regional service?
Komarovsky

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:29 am

I thought the inland plan was Hartford to Worcester direct, on a newly forged ROW, and dedicated to HSR?
BostonUrbEx

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:12 am

BostonUrbEx wrote:I thought the inland plan was Hartford to Worcester direct, on a newly forged ROW, and dedicated to HSR?

No, no. This is the same-old Regionals service that used to operate there, only without such prohibitive amounts of single-track/CSX dispatching clogs en route.

Komarovsky wrote:A little off topic, but are they planning to upgrade the track to get speeds above 60mph as part of the plan to add inland regional service?

God I hope so. MBTA portion first. It's embarrassing that rush hour Pike traffic laps the Worcester Line in Newton. 79 MPH to Worcester would be heavenly for all parties.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby The EGE » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:25 am

Is there any set of plans or renderings of the new station out there? The T does not have a page on the project (just like Wachusett and Wickford) and the monochrome renderings on the signs at the site are not the greatest.
The EGE

Postby diburning » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:47 am

The signs at Yawkey say "coming spring 2012" Oops!

The diagrams do indeed show a side platform and an island platform.
diburning

Postby The EGE » Tue May 22, 2012 1:17 pm

There was no more progress the last time I had a change to look, around May 13. Is there anyone who's in a position to look during the summer while I'm not in Boston? (I can provide updates during the fall).
The EGE

Postby diburning » Tue May 22, 2012 11:53 pm

I won't be there all the time, but I live in Boston and can report here whenever I'm over that way.
diburning

Postby The EGE » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:20 pm

It's been two months since the schedule change that was supposed to herald work beginning. Nothing visible has happened yet.
The EGE

Postby The EGE » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:28 pm

Two more weeks; still nothing. On one hand I shouldn't be surprised, but on the other hand, April was supposed to start construction. Anyone in-the-know have any idea when actual construction will start?
The EGE

Postby Komarovsky » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:07 pm

In the past week I've noticed crews digging some sort of drainage/utility ditch along the pike side of the tracks.
Komarovsky

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)