Fenway Center / Yawkey Station Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Fenway Center / Yawkey Station Discussion

Postby wicked » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:04 pm

Newton's wanted the station reactivated for a long time. Ted Mann was pushing for that 20 years ago, along with restoration of the A Line.

Was the station located underneath the current hotel?
wicked

Postby The EGE » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:47 pm

More progress in the last two weeks. Platform canopies installed, and the roof in place. This station is huge - the pedestrian bridge is much more massive than most stations that have them. This is going to be a very attractive station when finished - one of the MBTA's best.

Image Image
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby BandA » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:07 am

wicked wrote:Newton's wanted the station reactivated for a long time. Ted Mann was pushing for that 20 years ago, along with restoration of the A Line.

Was the station located underneath the current hotel?

I think it was located approximately where the Hotel is now.... B&A was four tracks plus the station. As I mentioned, the "A" line was running when the station was removed. I think there is enough room to build a station there but it will be fairly expensive and should be part of a comprehensive rebuild of the intersection and ramps. Extending the 71 to Newton Corner, building a busway and a large commuter garage over the pike, reconnecting Centre St directly, building a "fly under" Centre St on the south side would all help.

Newton Corner is a hostile place for pedestrians, kids walking to school, parking and especially bicyclists, all of which needs to be addressed. Plus the Pike has destroyed the retail infrastructure and blighted the square.

I've seen it written that Ted Mann wanted the trolleys, this is the first I've heard about railroad. Teddy was from West Roxbury. He became mayor in 1972 I believe. Unfortunately Newtonites today have little sense of history and seem more nimbyish than their forefathers. 150th and 175th aniversary of Boston and Albany railroad service went unnoticed AFAIK by Newton or MBTA
BandA

Postby The EGE » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:29 am

The station was directly underneath the modern hotel. Here's an overlay:

bitmap.png
bitmap.png (264.24 KiB) Viewed 2089 times
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby trainhq » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:24 pm

Well! We've come a long ways on this since I started this thread in 2005! I have often
wondered about this; namely, is there anyway they could run trains in for Red Sox
games in from other lines, maybe Providence? It seems to me that on game days, now
that they own the Worcester line, they could maybe send one of the trains over there
and then back to South Station again real quick, maybe send one down around 10-10:30
in the time gap between 9 and 11 to pick up game travelers? Would make Fenway more
accessible to all the other lines....
trainhq

Postby wicked » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:40 pm

EDIT: T ran weekend trains from Attleboro to Fenway, starting in 1989. IIRC from the schedule, it reversed at South Station and then went onto Yawkey. There may have been Franklin service at some point, but my memory is failing me now.

From April 12, 1989, Boston Globe:

MBTA spokesman Peter Dimond says special trains will operate between Attleboro and Yawkey Station (adjacent to Fenway Park) for weekend Red Sox home games and on the Framingham Line for all Red Sox home games, weekday and weekend. Trains on both lines are scheduled to arrive at Fenway 20 minutes before game time and depart 20 minutes after the game ends, he adds. For more information on schedules and fares, call (617) 722-3200.

I would think a South Station-Yawkey shuttle on game nights would provide another option for South Shore fans.

F Line, Mann was on the record in the local rag as saying he wanted a transit complex of some sort in Newton Corner, possibly built over the Pike. Unfortunately the archives aren't online AFAIK.
wicked

Postby The EGE » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:50 am

Ballast put in place over most of the second track slot over the last few days. The angle isn't good to see, but I think they've also installed solar panels on the roof.

It's interesting to see how they've made this ready to integrate with the Fenway Center development. All the overhead lights are on foot-square concrete bases.
The EGE

Postby Komarovsky » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Work seems to be progressing well on the portions of the platform under the canopy, but they haven't started any work on laying the sections of the platform west of the stairs. I'm surprised that they've started laying ballast for the new track before they've finished all the platform segments.
Komarovsky

Postby The EGE » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:54 pm

Yesterday there was a pile of the station sign mounts sitting next to the platforms. As of today, all the ballast was in place for the second track, and ties were being unloaded from a flatbed around noon.
The EGE

Postby The EGE » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:26 am

Ties and some pieces of rail were in place yesterday, and there was some additional framing elements in place atop the elevator shaft. It's been a long time, but the project is finally finishing up very quickly.
The EGE

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:31 pm

that rail was delivered yesterday off of a rail xtra from Beacon Park...crew reported @ BET 8am, job was done aprox. noon, but had to wait for traffic b4 going home
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby The EGE » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:50 pm

Pictures taken this afternoon:

Image Image

It appears they wanted to wait to install the second track before putting the west ends of the platforms in place.
The EGE

Postby nomis » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:53 pm

The EGE wrote:Pictures taken this afternoon:

Image Image

It appears they wanted to wait to install the second track before putting the west ends of the platforms in place.

The rail on the second track extended to just past the first wooden crossover, as of this afternoon.
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.
nomis

Postby MBTA1016 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:26 pm

Nice pics ege. This progress is good since there is use with the redsox in the playoffs and possibly a title run. Go redsox :)
Josh.W
Formally mbta fan
WE ARE BOSTON, WE ARE BOSTON STRONG

Flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/116905626@N06/
Blog: http://jpwilkinson2448.blogspot.com/?m=1
MBTA1016

Postby nomis » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:26 pm

Forgot to post: as of Monday afternoon, the rail was laid farther east if the wooden bridges & some ballast was dropped in the gague. No noticeable tampening though.
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.
nomis

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)