Fenway Center / Yawkey Station Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby kwf » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:31 pm

octr202 wrote:
Ron Newman wrote:Why can't people just cross the tracks at grade level in Newton to get to the (restored) other platform? No need for cutting in the hillside, elevators, etc.

Well, given the propensity for people using grade-level crossings to try to occupy the same space and time as a train going in the opposite direction, I can't see anyone allowing new grade level access to be put in across the tracks there.

Witness the new ped bridges put in at places like Framingham, and the fence built at Wellesley Hills (or Farms, can't remember which) to keep people from going across the tracks at grade-level.

The new station the T built in N Leominister has grade level access, without bridges. They later renamed the station N Leominster. :-D
kwf

Postby efin98 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:19 pm

ceo wrote:
NealG wrote:Where does the D line pass beneath the Mass Pike? Perhaps an underground station could be built between the Kenmore and Fenway stops that is closer to the Park and at or near Yawkey Station.

What problem would that solve, other than making the walk to Fenway Park from the Green Line marginally shorter?

You can have underground storage as well as dramatically lower the pedestrian traffic near Kenmore, not to mention allows for locals to access the station to shut them up...I mean have better transit locally.
efin98

Postby iandavid » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:09 pm

efin98 wrote:You can have underground storage as well as dramatically lower the pedestrian traffic near Kenmore, not to mention allows for locals to access the station to shut them up...I mean have better transit locally.

I don't see how building an extra station on the D Line will do anything to decrease foot traffic at Kenmore, since 2/3 of the green line passengers going through that station are riding a line other than the D. People who take the B or C lines either inbound or outbound will still have to exit at Kenmore, and they certainly won't bother to wait around on a crowded platform for a packed D to show up, just to have it take them another block.

Additionally, it's unlikely that the residents in the area will benefit from the added service either. Just look at where they are. The majority of people who are served by the Fenway D Line stop live on the other side of Boylston Street, past the Landmark Center and many blocks away from Fenway Park, in the opposite direction. On the other side of the tracks, the neighborhood around Beacon Street in that area is served equally well by Fenway to the South and St. Mary's (C Line) to the North.

Building a Yawkey D Line stop will do nothing to alleviate current ped congestion. Building the Urban Ring in that area, however, would allow passengers to transfer directly from the Red Line in Cambridge or the Orange Line in Roxbury and bypass the Green Line altogether, which would make a huge difference not only for Kenmore, but for the entire main drag of the Green Line.
iandavid

Postby efin98 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:35 pm

2/3 are not heading to the B/C, a full half are heading east to other points. That, along with the folks heading west on the D Line makes a huge dent in the foot traffic. And if you add entrances to the station actually in the neighborhood to the new station the point about the locals is mute. They get their own station year round and actually lose a large percentage of foot traffic through Kenmore Square as another benefit. A win-win situation.
efin98

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:44 am

I don't see why it's desirable to reduce "foot traffic" in Kenmore Square. It's a business district; foot traffic is good for everyone there.
Ron Newman

Postby apodino » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:16 pm

If I might interject a thought here.

IIRC the alignment of the green line tunnel takes the D line directly under Beacon st. It doesn't branch off from the C line until slightly after where Beacon St. crosses the MA pike. Then turns to join the Highland Branch alignment.

This alignment, which I believe is true but I could be wrong on, doesn't take the D line near Yawkey or that area, so if you are building an extra station, it would actually be located near Beacon St. and would likely have to serve the C line as well.

The thinking isn't bad, but as I said, the alignment makes this idea impossible in my mind.
Rich "Dino" Martin
A one time happy rider of Arborway and the old Washington St. El.
apodino

Postby Pete » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:44 am

NealG wrote:Where does the D line pass beneath the Mass Pike? Perhaps an underground station could be built between the Kenmore and Fenway stops that is closer to the Park and at or near Yawkey Station.

When the development guidelines for air rights over the Mass Pike were conceived a few years ago (they're a framework, kind of like zoning, but not actual plans), this idea was included as worth pursuing if the adjoining Pike air-rights parcel is ever developed.
Pete

Re: Yawkey Station upgrades

Postby bierhere » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:01 am

Has this finally started? I noticed new fencing around what looks like a potential construction site
bierhere

Postby dth9269 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:26 am

According to Mass DOT they've been in construction for several months now.

http://transportation.blog.state.ma.us/blog/2010/11/yawkey-station-project-fenway-development-key.html

I couldn't find any recent news articles about this, though, in a quick internet search.

Dan
dth9269

Postby dth9269 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:06 am

I got a chance to do another quick search, and came up with a May 15th start of construction date:

"Please be advised that construction of the new Yawkey Commuter Rail Station is scheduled to begin on or about May 15th. The construction fence will be installed at this time, and actual construction will commence sometime later in the month. The construction will continue for 12-18 months."

http://www.masco.org/alert/yawkey-station-construction-65191

MASCO is apparently a non-profit related to the Longwood Medical/Academic institutions.
dth9269

Fenway Center hits home run ( Yawkey Station )

Postby Teamdriver » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:34 am

'' Developer John Rosenthal said he’s primed to secure financing on his $450 million Fenway Center project, after a state court tossed out a lawsuit blocking the five-building complex near the ballpark.''
http://bostonherald.com/business/real_e ... position=5
Teamdriver

Re: Fenway Center hits home run ( Yawkey Station )

Postby MBTA1016 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:30 pm

I dont think so since east of Wellesley all the platforms are on the inbound track(newton, yawkey).
Josh.W
Formally mbta fan
WE ARE BOSTON, WE ARE BOSTON STRONG

Flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/116905626@N06/
Blog: http://jpwilkinson2448.blogspot.com/?m=1
MBTA1016

Re: Yawkey Station construction

Postby The EGE » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:48 pm

Schedule on the Worcester Line got changed last week along with dispatching to allow for work at Yawkey.

Nothing major yet, but these appeared on the tracks today. They're about 50 feet east of the end of the platform. What are they?

"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:52 pm

If I had to guess, they're going to fill in the gaps in between the wood with more wood (or asphalt) as one of those cheap ped "crossings" of sorts. They have one now, but this one might be needed during construction.

(so you can board and alight from the outbound track)

Though, I'm not sure why they'd do it to both tracks and not just the inbound. So maybe I'm wrong.
BostonUrbEx

Postby Komarovsky » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:00 pm

Maybe they're going to add more pieces of wood or lay down some asphalt so construction vehicles can cross the tracks? I'd imagine they'd add a bridge over the tracks for passengers to cross from the inbound to the outbound side once they're done.
Komarovsky

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)