Green line expresses?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Green line expresses?

Postby jumbotusk » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:28 am

This morning the operator of the B line train I got on at St. Paul said "this train is expressing to Kenmore". I noticed there was one train right ahead of us and one about a block or two behind us.

Is this done to space out trains better? If so, why isnt it done more often? Who has the authority to do this? Does it work?
jumbotusk

Postby BC Eagle » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:23 pm

Trolleys are generally expressed when there has been a gap in service in front of the current train, and immediate service behind the train. However, I've noticed from my own observation this is not always the case.

Three days a week I commute outbound on the B-Line around 5pm. For a period of about 2 weeks in November/December, almost every trolley I was on was expressed. Some of these included:
-BU East direct to Babcock St.
-BU East direct to Packard's Corner
-Blanford St. direct to Packard's Corner
-Kenmore Square direct to Packard's Corner
-Washington St. direct to Boston College

Since that period of time, the expressed trolleys I have been on have occurred less frequently. I believe it is the role of the inspector to "express" a train to compensate for a delay or gap in service.

I have been on D-Line trains that have been expressed direct from Reservoir to Fenway, and Fenway to Reservoir, but they seem to occur much less frequently in my experience. I have never been on a C-Line, or E-Line train that has been expressed, but that's not to say it doesn't happen on those lines as well.
BC Eagle

Postby iandavid » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:02 pm

I can understand the reasoning behind expressing a train, but there's nothing that pisses me off more than standing at the platform at Brookline Village for 25 minutes, only to have the first train that comes zoom past us without stopping. Not to mention that the one that follows is always ridiculously crowded. Express trains are just another example of the Green Line's inefficiency.
iandavid

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)