Southampton Street Yard

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Southampton Street Yard

Postby enterprise11 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:38 pm

I always pass this yard on 93 with its prominent Amtrak Maintenance Facility logo. It is my understanding that the T and Amtrak share this yard for equipment maintenance and storage. When was this yard built? Also, has the T always used this facility to service its commuter rail equipment?
enterprise11

Re: Southampton Street Yard

Postby wicked » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:20 pm

I'm not finding much online, possibly because I'm not using a strong enough search. My limited knowledge:

I believe the yard was opened in its present state in 1986 or so, after Amtrak took over the commuter rail contract from B&M. It certainly was in full operation by 1988, when I moved into Andrew Square (about a half-mile away). Googling found a thread on railroad.net that stated the New Haven had a yard there, but that's before my time.

IIRC prior to Southampton's opening all commuter rail servicing was conducted at BET, but don't take that as Gospel.
wicked

Postby BostonUrbEx » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:26 pm

I believe Southampton existed before the old BET was being demolished and the new BET was being constructed. However, I think it was beefed up during this period as it was the main facility during those years, as told by the gentlemen giving EGE and I a tour of BET the other month. I take it that's when the facility took on it's current form.
BostonUrbEx

Postby wicked » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:28 pm

Found this nugget: Southampton served as a rail yard as far back as 1969 (and I'd guess, much earlier), according to the always informative Tom Nelligan's post some years back on ne.transportation.

http://bit.ly/xG5Tot
wicked

Postby MBTA3247 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:28 am

Southampton Street Yard dates back to the 19th Century when the Old Colony had its yards there. When South Station was built, the New Haven concentrated all of its passenger and locomotive servicing facilities there. The section known as Dover Street Yard became the Red Line's Cabot Yard/Shop in the early '70s. Most of the current Amtrak and commuter rail facilities are from some time after that, although afaik the site has continuously served both (and their predecessors) since the New Haven era.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby CRail » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:25 am

enterprise11 wrote:It is my understanding that the T and Amtrak share this yard for equipment maintenance and storage.

It is Amtrak's yard, and Amtrak equipment is stored there exclusively at night (the front yard stores commuter rail equipment overnight). The Southampton yard stores and services Commuter Rail equipment during the day under an agreement with Amtrak that (to my knowledge) predates MBCR.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby Teamdriver » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:50 am

enterprise11 wrote:I always pass this yard on 93 with its prominent Amtrak Maintenance Facility logo. It is my understanding that the T and Amtrak share this yard for equipment maintenance and storage. When was this yard built? Also, has the T always used this facility to service its commuter rail equipment?

Dude I found this on goggle, " NEW HAVEN RAILROAD MAP FOOD DISTR CENTER BOSTON MA ", ( http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/n ... ter-boston ) Although it has been fulfilled as an auction, there is a glimmer of information there about the general area. I remember picking up swinging sides of beef across the street at Newmarket that came off rail cars on a spur behind the dock frontage buildings,and some of their names are on that link. Also on the other side of the market towards Mass ave entrance, there was a spur leading into a CO2 distributor, the operation similar to that of present day Praxair in Tewksbury. When they moved alot of the meat companies across the street to Widett circle ,there was not much there that I can remember, and then pow, Amtrack was there.
Teamdriver

Postby wicked » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:16 am

There were still clients at the food distribution center until at least ~1991. I saw freight cars on a spur on a trip down there. Don't know how the Haul Road/Frontage Road/93 construction altered that area (I'm sure it did somewhat).
wicked

Postby sery2831 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:27 pm

Headed back on topic here. Through the years MBTA equipment was stored at the Amtrak Facility. As Amtrak expanded service(Acelas), room for the MBTA equipment grew less. As CRail says above, there is an agreement for some daytime storage in the yard. At NO time was maintenance ever preformed on MBTA equipment at this facility. There is a near by S&I building for the Commuter Rail but it is not visible from 93.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby enterprise11 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:31 pm

Interesting, I didn't realize this yard was that old. Sery2831, you mentioned that there is an S&I building for the T. Was this facility originally owned by Amtrak, or did the T construct it specifically for commuter rail? When was it built?
enterprise11

Postby sery2831 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:57 pm

The MBTA S&I was built by the T for T equipment. At one time it was operated by Amtrak, but never owned by Amtrak. And at no time did Amtrak equipment ever get serviced here.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:20 pm

It was in 1999-2000 with electrication completed that Amtrak began uses Southampton Street for electric service, and electric AEM7/HHP8 Amfleet sets and Acelas have operated here since.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby enterprise11 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:50 pm

Didn't want to start a new thread so I revived this one: does anybody know what year the Commuter Rail S&I facility was constructed?
enterprise11

Postby wicked » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:01 pm

Sometime in the mid- to late 1980s, IIRC, and for some reason the year 1986 sticks out in my mind.
wicked

Postby 3rdrail » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:55 pm

When they were doing excavation in and around the Dover Street Yard recently, drill bits kept jamming on old heavy metal buried deep in the ground only to find out that a succession of roads (B&P, NH, MBTA) had all built yards at the location and had used a lot of what had been there at the time as landfill. I would not have been surprised to see a rusted hulk of a B&P RR 4-6-0 lifted out of the ground by one of Bechtel's cranes back then. :-D
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)