CNN Error invlolving the MBTA

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

CNN Error invlolving the MBTA

Postby apodino » Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:38 am

I know this may be a bit off topic but I had to mention it anyways. This cnn article mentions the new Puerto Rico commuter rail about to open in service, and shows a photo which leads people to believe that its one of the stations on the new system. However, if you are from boston, you will instantly recognize that the photo is not from the puerto rico system, but is in fact, a photo of Back Bay Station in Boston.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/12/23/bt.puerto.rico.traffic.ap/index.html
Rich "Dino" Martin
A one time happy rider of Arborway and the old Washington St. El.
apodino
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:32 pm
Location: Appleton, WI

Postby NealG » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:09 pm

Someone wasn't doint their homework. The photo credit is to trenuobanoupr.com, which has a page of photos taken during a training session in Boston.
NealG
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:39 am
Location: Roxbury Crossing

Postby Robert Paniagua » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:06 pm

Yeah what a messup that is...... FYI the Puerto Rico train is in the area where I was born everyone! That's where I lived till age 10, and the photo looks like one of their stations, instead its Back Bay!!
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
User avatar
Robert Paniagua
 
Posts: 4418
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:11 am
Location: Weymouth, MA 02188

Postby efin98 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:11 pm

Should we be flattered or insulted that they used Back Bay as the basis for their stations :-D
efin98
 

Postby sery2831 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:40 pm

There is a Boston connection to the PR system. The operator down there is Alternate Concepts, who owns Paul Revere Transportation and part of Mass Bay Commuter Rail.
User avatar
sery2831
 
Posts: 5136
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Manchester, NH

Postby SnoozerZ49 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:04 pm

Ugh, part owner of MBCR, the people of Puerto Rico don't stand a chance!
SnoozerZ49
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:25 am

Postby helium » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:18 am

on a related note, there is an ad in the metro occasionally for some condos in boston that shows a woman on a (supposed) T platform with a rushing train coming into the station.
the train is clearly NOT a T train.
User avatar
helium
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:49 am

Postby NealG » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:10 am

helium wrote:on a related note, there is an ad in the metro occasionally for some condos in boston that shows a woman on a (supposed) T platform with a rushing train coming into the station.
the train is clearly NOT a T train.


Yeah, I've noticed that. Its a MUNI Boeing LRV, if one looks closely, one can make out the MUNI logo. The ad is for a residential high rise next to Malden Station, on the Orange Line. The ad people probably picked it because the car is orange.
NealG
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:39 am
Location: Roxbury Crossing

Postby CSX Conductor » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:37 am

NealG wrote:
helium wrote:on a related note, there is an ad in the metro occasionally for some condos in boston that shows a woman on a (supposed) T platform with a rushing train coming into the station.
the train is clearly NOT a T train.


Yeah, I've noticed that. Its a MUNI Boeing LRV, if one looks closely, one can make out the MUNI logo. The ad is for a residential high rise next to Malden Station, on the Orange Line. The ad people probably picked it because the car is orange.


Remember, the Metro is not based out of Boston :wink:
User avatar
CSX Conductor
 
Posts: 5458
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:04 am
Location: Boston, Mass

Postby caduceus » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:52 am

NealG wrote:Yeah, I've noticed that. Its a MUNI Boeing LRV, if one looks closely, one can make out the MUNI logo. The ad is for a residential high rise next to Malden Station, on the Orange Line. The ad people probably picked it because the car is orange.


Actually, the ad was originally black and white. They probably picked a stock image thinking that it looked close enough to a T train. Then they realized that 1) we noticed that it wasn't one of the T's LRVs, and 2) The Green Line doesn't go anywhere near the location. So they added color to make it orange, and at least get one thing right... :)
First law of public transportation: You can never be early, but you can always be late.
User avatar
caduceus
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:43 pm

Postby astrosa » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:32 pm

It surprised me to see that MUNI car in the Metro ad, since a couple years ago that same ad featured a side-view photo of an Orange Line car, though black and white. What was especially nice about the photo was that they had cropped it very well, which highlighted the wheels and underbody details and made it almost seem like a technical illustration.
astrosa
 

Postby Robert Paniagua » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:03 am

Remember, the Metro is not based out of Boston :wink:

In fact, it's based somewhere in Europe, then worked its way here in 2001.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
User avatar
Robert Paniagua
 
Posts: 4418
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:11 am
Location: Weymouth, MA 02188

Postby NealG » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:18 pm

CSX Conductor wrote:
NealG wrote:
helium wrote:on a related note, there is an ad in the metro occasionally for some condos in boston that shows a woman on a (supposed) T platform with a rushing train coming into the station.
the train is clearly NOT a T train.


Yeah, I've noticed that. Its a MUNI Boeing LRV, if one looks closely, one can make out the MUNI logo. The ad is for a residential high rise next to Malden Station, on the Orange Line. The ad people probably picked it because the car is orange.


Remember, the Metro is not based out of Boston :wink:


The ad is published in the Metro, Globe and Herald among other papers, in color in some papers, black and white in others.
NealG
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:39 am
Location: Roxbury Crossing

Postby CSX Conductor » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:01 pm

Ok, I only mentioned the Metro because that is where Helium said he saw it. Maybe he is frugal and prefers the free Metro to the big Boston papers. LOL :P

I know many people get all the info they need from the Metro, and like the price. :wink:
User avatar
CSX Conductor
 
Posts: 5458
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:04 am
Location: Boston, Mass

Postby NealG » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:21 pm

CSX Conductor wrote:Ok, I only mentioned the Metro because that is where Helium said he saw it. Maybe he is frugal and prefers the free Metro to the big Boston papers. LOL :P

I know many people get all the info they need from the Metro, and like the price. :wink:


True enough. Though people get what they pay for. I also suspect that it may be the reason that most of the Metros handed out seem to end up in large numbers on the car floors in the evenings... Anyone who rides the Orange Line after 6 PM can attest to this :(
NealG
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:39 am
Location: Roxbury Crossing

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests