Red Sox Train Service Operation Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Need photos of Red Sox train service

Postby Rbts Stn » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:01 pm

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd extend this one.

I used the Fenway Park station twice this weekend (I know, Saturday nearly killed me). After the games, they bring inbound empty NO PASSENGER cars along the D line past the station, then bring them back empty to the outbound station to load 'em up and ship 'em out.

Was wondering if they are going in to the Kenmore loop? Or turning them around prior to that? Couldn't they also use the crossing just west of the Fenway station and change ends in the station? Or is that frowned upon?

Thanks!
User avatar
Rbts Stn
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:09 pm
Location: waiting for an "A" train to Watertown

Re: Need photos of Red Sox train service

Postby MBTA3247 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:38 pm

Yes, they are going through the Kenmore Loop. This avoids the potential for delaying other trains while changing ends at Fenway.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
User avatar
MBTA3247
 
Posts: 2609
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Milton

Re: Need photos of Red Sox train service

Postby Rbts Stn » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:20 am

Makes sense. Been a long time since I've seen a train change ends on the Green line so no idea how long it might take.
User avatar
Rbts Stn
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:09 pm
Location: waiting for an "A" train to Watertown

Re: Need photos of Red Sox train service

Postby Ron Newman » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:34 pm

they have a train waiting at Yawkey station, providing Worcester line service which leaves 10 minutes after the game ends.


I did not know about this -- it is not mentioned in ANY printed schedule I've seen during the past few years. Are you sure the T still does it? And are these special trains, or does the T delay the regular westbound 10:31 pm or 11:36 pm train at Yawkey for this purpose?
Ron Newman
 
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:04 pm
Location: Davis Square, Somerville, MA

Re: Need photos of Red Sox train service

Postby jonnhrr » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:44 am

Rbts Stn wrote:Makes sense. Been a long time since I've seen a train change ends on the Green line so no idea how long it might take.


They change ends at North Station and at Brigham Circle when they are not running to Heath St.
I have also seen them change ends at Riverside, crossing over just before the platform, I guess to save time having to go around the loop. As I recall it only took a few minutes.

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
User avatar
jonnhrr
 
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 5:58 pm
Location: Sabattus ME USA

Re: Need photos of Red Sox train service

Postby CSX Conductor » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:32 pm

Ron Newman wrote:
they have a train waiting at Yawkey station, providing Worcester line service which leaves 10 minutes after the game ends.


I did not know about this -- it is not mentioned in ANY printed schedule I've seen during the past few years. Are you sure the T still does it? And are these special trains, or does the T delay the regular westbound 10:31 pm or 11:36 pm train at Yawkey for this purpose?

It's been the norm to hold the last westbound for several years now. It used to be published in the schedules, but I havent seen one of the Framingham/Worcester schedules for a long time. Also, I swear it used to be held "up to 30 minutes".
User avatar
CSX Conductor
 
Posts: 5458
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:04 am
Location: Boston, Mass

Re: Need photos of Red Sox train service

Postby CSX Conductor » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:37 pm

The direct commuter rail service in the early 90's from Attleboro & Franklin was excellent. Trains would use the Dorchester Branch from Readville into Boston and then use the WYe Connector at Cove to cross the NEC and head west onto the B&A right to Yawkee.
User avatar
CSX Conductor
 
Posts: 5458
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:04 am
Location: Boston, Mass

Re: Need photos of Red Sox train service

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:37 pm

jonnhrr wrote:
Rbts Stn wrote:Makes sense. Been a long time since I've seen a train change ends on the Green line so no idea how long it might take.


They change ends at North Station and at Brigham Circle when they are not running to Heath St.
I have also seen them change ends at Riverside, crossing over just before the platform, I guess to save time having to go around the loop. As I recall it only took a few minutes.

Jon

If they don't dawdle it takes about 45 seconds, maybe a minute. All they really have to do is get up, lock the cab door, walk to the other cab door, unlock it and get in, insert the key and go. Then if they're above ground they'll need to start the fare box, but if they plan ahead they can just leave it in Stand-by mode so they don't have to wait for it to boot up. And of course the announcements, but they can do that as they're driving. Of course, they'll need to remember to shut off the heat/AC and windshield wiper if it's a Type 8, as these functions cannot be toggled "Off" if they were enabled at the opposite end of the car. But that is another topic for another thread... :)

As for using the Kenmore Loops versus switching ends at Fenway, not only would it hold up trains, but there are several riders who board outbound D trains at Kenmore, since it is actually closer to Fenway Park than the Fenway stop.
User avatar
CircusFreakGRITZ
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:44 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Need photos of Red Sox train service

Postby Rbts Stn » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:39 am

CircusFreakGRITZ wrote:
jonnhrr wrote:
Rbts Stn wrote:Makes sense. Been a long time since I've seen a train change ends on the Green line so no idea how long it might take.


They change ends at North Station and at Brigham Circle when they are not running to Heath St.
I have also seen them change ends at Riverside, crossing over just before the platform, I guess to save time having to go around the loop. As I recall it only took a few minutes.

Jon

If they don't dawdle it takes about 45 seconds, maybe a minute. All they really have to do is get up, lock the cab door, walk to the other cab door, unlock it and get in, insert the key and go. Then if they're above ground they'll need to start the fare box, but if they plan ahead they can just leave it in Stand-by mode so they don't have to wait for it to boot up. And of course the announcements, but they can do that as they're driving. Of course, they'll need to remember to shut off the heat/AC and windshield wiper if it's a Type 8, as these functions cannot be toggled "Off" if they were enabled at the opposite end of the car. But that is another topic for another thread... :)

As for using the Kenmore Loops versus switching ends at Fenway, not only would it hold up trains, but there are several riders who board outbound D trains at Kenmore, since it is actually closer to Fenway Park than the Fenway stop.


Very interesting, thanks for all that info. Regarding your last comment, though, they've been turning empty trains in the loop and bringing them to Fenway empty. So they aren't stopping at Kenmore in either direction for passengers at all.

Amazing how many folks they can load onto one train, when they really try.
User avatar
Rbts Stn
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:09 pm
Location: waiting for an "A" train to Watertown

Re: Need photos of Red Sox train service

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:17 pm

Ah, now that you mention it, I do seem to recall waiting angrily after a Sox game as "NO SERVICE" trains rolled by me at Kenmore...but I can't remember if they were going inbound, outbound, or both. So I believe you're right about them skipping Kenmore all together...

Edit: Another thing they must set prior to moving is the Route setting. This talks to the AVI (automatic vehicle identification) system which throws switches automatically at Kenmore, Copley Junction, Park St, Gov't Center, North Station, etc. They also probably have to call central and request permission to move. But still, those tasks don't take all that much time to perform.
User avatar
CircusFreakGRITZ
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:44 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Need photos of Red Sox train service

Postby jonnhrr » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:05 pm

CircusFreakGRITZ wrote:As for using the Kenmore Loops versus switching ends at Fenway, not only would it hold up trains, but there are several riders who board outbound D trains at Kenmore, since it is actually closer to Fenway Park than the Fenway stop.


The Fenway stop is actually named after the Fenway green space created by Olmstead not the baseball park. It is about twice as far from the baseball park as Kenmore.

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
User avatar
jonnhrr
 
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 5:58 pm
Location: Sabattus ME USA

Re: Need photos of Red Sox train service

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:29 pm

jonnhrr wrote:
CircusFreakGRITZ wrote:As for using the Kenmore Loops versus switching ends at Fenway, not only would it hold up trains, but there are several riders who board outbound D trains at Kenmore, since it is actually closer to Fenway Park than the Fenway stop.


The Fenway stop is actually named after the Fenway green space created by Olmstead not the baseball park. It is about twice as far from the baseball park as Kenmore.

Jon

Yeah, it's close to the Landmark shopping center and the Fenway neighborhood of Boston. However, the T has a mural at the stop which encourages riders to "Take the T to Fenway!" for Red Sox games. Unfortunately, this (and also the station name itself, which isn't really the T's fault) causes fans to WAIT for "D" trains just so they can take them to the Fenway stop. I wish the T would play announcements more often directing fans to take either B, C or D to Kenmore on game nights.
User avatar
CircusFreakGRITZ
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:44 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Red Sox Train Service Operation Discussion

Postby Rbts Stn » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:12 pm

CircusFreakGRITZ wrote:
jonnhrr wrote:
CircusFreakGRITZ wrote:As for using the Kenmore Loops versus switching ends at Fenway, not only would it hold up trains, but there are several riders who board outbound D trains at Kenmore, since it is actually closer to Fenway Park than the Fenway stop.


The Fenway stop is actually named after the Fenway green space created by Olmstead not the baseball park. It is about twice as far from the baseball park as Kenmore.

Jon

Yeah, it's close to the Landmark shopping center and the Fenway neighborhood of Boston. However, the T has a mural at the stop which encourages riders to "Take the T to Fenway!" for Red Sox games. Unfortunately, this (and also the station name itself, which isn't really the T's fault) causes fans to WAIT for "D" trains just so they can take them to the Fenway stop. I wish the T would play announcements more often directing fans to take either B, C or D to Kenmore on game nights.


As someone who takes the T to/from Fenway, I can say with some authority that at least after the games, at least 99% of the fans heading to the Fenway stop are going Outbound, so they've figured out the best way to get where they are going. I'll still get off at Fenway going TO the game on the D line, just because I don't like running the gauntlet of scalpers and other annoyances in Kenmore Square, nor do I enjoy climbing the hill to get over the Pike.

Also, according to Gmap-pedometer, it's about .3 mile to Kenmore Station from Gate "A", and about .4 mile to Fenway station. Remember, the Kenmore Station entrance is a ways up Comm Ave from the actual Kenmore Square intersection
User avatar
Rbts Stn
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:09 pm
Location: waiting for an "A" train to Watertown

Re: Need photos of Red Sox train service

Postby MBTA1016 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:31 pm

jwhite07 wrote:I have heard an urban legend that the "longest home run" happened when a ball whacked out of the park landed in an open-topped freight car in a passing freight and ended up in Selkirk Yard. No idea when this was alleged to have happened, but it must have been back in the B&A days.


Did the home run distance count the ride to Selkirk since the ball never hit the ground? :) They probably have gotten some souvenirs from trains passing Fenway.
Josh.W
Formally mbta fan
WE ARE BOSTON, WE ARE BOSTON STRONG


Flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/116905626@N06/
Blog: http://jpwilkinson2448.blogspot.com/?m=1
User avatar
MBTA1016
 
Posts: 1713
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:16 pm
Location: Walpole MA

Re: Red Sox Train Service Operation Discussion

Postby CSX Conductor » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:26 pm

Most people used to walk to Fenway if they were going outbound because above ground used to be free outbound.
User avatar
CSX Conductor
 
Posts: 5458
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:04 am
Location: Boston, Mass

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests