MBTA suggestions for scenic lines on the southside

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby CSX Conductor » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:48 pm

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:4 years ago my high school Montclair High marched in the Boston St. Patricks parade and we were right near BET. I saw that that area would be a nice photo area. Maybe I will check that out.

BET is on the other side of town, you must be thinking of the MBTA & Amtrak's SouthHampton Street facility's that I mentioned above.
CSX Conductor

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:55 pm

I got back from Boston and had a great time with railfanning MBTA. I went out to Needham like expected. Yes, there is a BIG corrolation with the Needham Branch vs NJT's Montclair Boonton. This line goes through plenty of residential neighborhoods. Most of the stops are so close to one another. I enjoyed the portion between W. Roxbury and Hersey in terms of scenery. It does remind me a little of the old boonton line prior to the connection, which still goes through Branch Brook park, but now serves limited NS operations. Needham Jct is interesting with the former junction. Needham Heights I have to say, the photo angles from the overhead bridge there are terrible. My consist to Needham both ways consisted of one of those refurbished F40s, a german coach, a bombardier, and like 4 bilevels. One thing that I don't like about Needham, there is no way to get into Boston on Sundays as well as no public bus service. I am suprised considering that Needham is so close to Boston. Needham must be like the size of Montclair where I live. No weekend rail service but Decamp service as well as plenty of transit public bus service in and around Montclair as well as being able to walk to Bloomfield to catch the 72. The trains in both directions to Needham were fairly patronized. I got off at Back Bay, hopped on the Orange Line to n. Station. that station could use some improvement. The long passageway there kind of reminds me a little of NYC Penn. I photographed MBTA operations out of N. Station right near Spalding Hospital. I then took the Orange Line to Downtown Crossing and then changed for the Red Line to South Station an then continued eastward. I had a great day and I did not get hassled at all. However, at Needham station the engineer took my picture. Also, at some of the stations within W. Roxbury, there were signs saying "only commuters are allowed on platform."
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby iandavid » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:56 am

njt, do you mean the tunnel between the North Station subway and the commuter rail station? I didn't know that was open already. Funny that you said it needs improvement, though, because it's all brand new!
iandavid

Postby Ron Newman » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:17 am

That's not open yet. A workman there told me he thought it would open next month.
Last edited by Ron Newman on Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Newman

Postby CSX Conductor » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:05 am

iandavid wrote:njt, do you mean the tunnel between the North Station subway and the commuter rail station? I didn't know that was open already. Funny that you said it needs improvement, though, because it's all brand new!

The way I read it, I think that he was referring to the Back Bay.
CSX Conductor

Postby CSX Conductor » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:08 am

NJT many people from Needham and the sorrounding towns can go to Riverside on the MBTA's Green Line, which is in Newton, the next town over, for Sunday service. :wink:

A few years ago the MBTA had run a Sunday schedule for the holiday shopping season, but the numbers weren't there :(
CSX Conductor

Postby Ron Newman » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:16 pm

Long walk from Needham to Riverside! I wouldn't want to have to do that every Sunday.
Ron Newman

Postby CSX Conductor » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:28 pm

Ron Newman wrote:Long walk from Needham to Riverside! I wouldn't want to have to do that every Sunday.

And where did I type "walk"? Drive or get dropped off.
CSX Conductor

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)