MBTA suggestions for scenic lines on the southside

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

MBTA suggestions for scenic lines on the southside

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:23 pm

Next Tuesday I will be making my trip to Boston on the Acela, and what are the scenic MBTA lines on the southside. I will be coming up on 2154 and returning on 2175. The Franklin Line will be a bit tough.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby CSX Conductor » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:48 am

I would say Franklin, but if you cannot do that due to schedules, perhaps the Needham Branch. It is short (about 45to50 minutes run-time, with only about 15 minutes before returning into Boston). Stoughton is the same.

Perhaps the Old Colony Lines, either to Middleboro or Kingston.

Worcester can be scenic, but takes about 1 &1/2 hours each way.
CSX Conductor

Postby SnoozerZ49 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:32 am

I'd agree with CSX that the Old Colony lines can offer some scenery. A Plymoouth trip will give you some cranberry bog scenes. If you ever have the time, the ride to take would be to get off at Back Bay and take the Orange line to North Station. The Rockport train offer the nicest scenery on the system. The tracks are right along the ocean at spots.
SnoozerZ49

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:57 pm

Can one walk between the stations at Kingston and Plymouth.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby apodino » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:12 pm

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Can one walk between the stations at Kingston and Plymouth.

The stations are not withing walking distance of each other. However there is a bus from the independence mall(a roughly 10 minute walk from the Kingston Station) that also stops at Cordage Park, where the Plymouth station is located at.
Rich "Dino" Martin
A one time happy rider of Arborway and the old Washington St. El.
apodino

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:10 am

What side of the right of way is the Plymouth platform on? Is it on the same side as the bay? Also how scenic is the Needham Line?
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby apodino » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:15 pm

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:What side of the right of way is the Plymouth platform on? Is it on the same side as the bay? Also how scenic is the Needham Line?

The Plymouth Platform is on the west side of the ROW, which would be the opposite of the bay.

Needham Line is the second shortest line in the system behind Fairmount. There isn't really much to see until after West Roxbury, as the train goes through some dense residential areas. After West Roxbury, there is some nice scenery all the way to the 128 overpass, then the ROW goes through some wealthy rural areas to Needham Junction, then goes through the center of town.
Rich "Dino" Martin
apodino

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:25 pm

Something tells me the Needham Line will be similar to NJT's Montclair-Boonton Line, because it is pretty short and quite a few of those stops must be close to one another. In the townships of Bloomfield, Glen Ridge, Montclair combined(electric portion of MBL), the stops are so close to one another. The Montclair-Boonton Line, I wouldn't really call scenic till you get west of MSu. However the service west of MSU is horrible but at least you could go and come back on the same line, but only in mid morning to early afternoon.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:10 pm

Aside from the trip to Needham, I might also ride the Red Line to N. Quincy, because both the commuter rail and subway cross it. How is the walking situation there?
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby apodino » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:23 pm

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Aside from the trip to Needham, I might also ride the Red Line to N. Quincy, because both the commuter rail and subway cross it. How is the walking situation there?

None of the stations down that way are in walking distance of each other. If you are looking to transfer from Red to the Old Colony, you can do so at either Quincy Center or Braintree. Keep in mind that most of the Middleboro trains stop at quincy and a select few stop at Braintree where on the Plymouth/Kingston line the opposite is true. However, since the Commuter Platform is about a 4 minute walk or so from the Lobby of the Red Line at Braintree, and its a little further inbound, you can get some great photo shots of the Red Line trains going into and coming out of Braintree without getting the Red Line platform in the way. North Quincy can give some good photos of the Old Colony, however make sure you have your photo permit with you. I would avoid Wollaston as it imho its one of the worst stations on the MBTA and the Worst station on the whole Braintree-Alewife trip, not counting the stations under construction which are South Station and Charles/MGH.
Rich "Dino" Martin
apodino

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:22 pm

Are there any good places viewed from public property where I could get shots of mvts coming out of North Station as well as Amtrak's S.Hampton St yard. Oh, I forgot to mention that just above N.Quincy, both the Old Colony and the Red Line run across the Neponset River. How are the conditions for walking between N. Quincy and the Neponset River Bridge?
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby CSX Conductor » Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:06 am

If you get off at Quinc Center there is no exit fee....whereas Braintree you have to pay to exit, and double getting on.

The walk from North Quincy to the Neponset Bridge might not be that bad...I'd say 10 minutes or less.

I wouldn't worry about photo permit either.........Especially if you are doing a one day trip.
CSX Conductor

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:12 pm

Are there any good viewing areas of all traffic going into S. Station from public areas?
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby CSX Conductor » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:11 am

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Are there any good viewing areas of all traffic going into S. Station from public areas?

Not very good for photography because of the catenary wires, but f you take the Red Line one stop to Broadway, walk over the West Broadway bridge and you will be right above the Middleboro and Dorchester Main Lines, and when looking east, you can see the traffic from the Framingham commuter line and the NEC joining theses lines @ Tower One Interlocking.

(If you think o it, look out the right side of your train after departing Back Bay, i will be mainly stone wall, but as the train gets close to South Station, the wall ends and you'll see a single track going off to the right, the first bridge over that track is the West Broadway bridge.) This track is the "Wye Connector" between the NEC & the Dorchester Main.

If you go one more stop on the Red Line to Andrew, it's right by the Southampton Street overhead bridge which is at the southern end of the Amtrak Yards.
CSX Conductor

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:36 pm

4 years ago my high school Montclair High marched in the Boston St. Patricks parade and we were right near BET. I saw that that area would be a nice photo area. Maybe I will check that out.
njt/mnrrbuff

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)