Fare Hikes + Heavy Service Cuts Looming

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Fare Hikes + Heavy Service Cuts Looming

Postby CRail » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:23 pm

BandM4266 wrote:From my understanding it is a union Issue. if you watch at reservoir car house the maintenance personnel will only operate in and out of building as far as the first switch but they may not go past this switch as it is a conflict with unions, same is applied at the Mattapan car house any testing of the PCC's on the line is with a Shifter operating and Maintenance personnel riding along with the car.

Derek is right. I'm curious where you're getting your information, because it's incorrect. Maintenance personnel and operators are both in the same union.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
User avatar
CRail
 
Posts: 2132
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004 8:27 am
Location: Eastie

MBTA website wrong about 7/4 Needham service

Postby NRGeep » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:11 pm

Took the damn #59 (with new driver going off course a few times) bus in addition to redline etc to get to Needham yesterday AM as the T website stated that "the commuter rail is on the Saturday schedule" for the 4th. The website stated that the Needham line has "no service on Saturdays", hence I took the bus. Low and behold, I witnessed commuter trains going through Needham Center yesterday. Sloppy...
NRGeep
 
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:33 pm

Re: MBTA website wrong about 7/4 Needham service

Postby saulblum » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:24 pm

The T expected you to dig down into the page about the new fares and service changes, that stopped being linked from the main page after July 1.

http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/ch ... iceChanges

There you would have found out that the Needham line Saturday changes were not taking effect until this weekend.

Consider yourself a victim of the T's abysmally poor communication regarding last-minute changes to commuter rail service changes and fare policies.

I wonder how many people actually rode the Needham, Plymouth/Kingston and Greenbush lines yesterday, and how many assumed they were not running, as you had assumed.
saulblum
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:42 pm

Re: MBTA website wrong about 7/4 Needham service

Postby NRGeep » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:34 pm

saulblum wrote:The T expected you to dig down into the page about the new fares and service changes, that stopped being linked from the main page after July 1.

http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/ch ... iceChanges

There you would have found out that the Needham line Saturday changes were not taking effect until this weekend.

Consider yourself a victim of the T's abysmally poor communication regarding last-minute changes to commuter rail service changes and fare policies.

I wonder how many people actually rode the Needham, Plymouth/Kingston and Greenbush lines yesterday, and how many assumed they were not running, as you had assumed.


Ahh yes, I should have known...lol...NOT!
NRGeep
 
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:33 pm

Re: Fare Hikes + Heavy Service Cuts Looming

Postby atlantis » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:36 am

IMHO, the whole thing about service cuts and fare increases is simply about favoring roads over mass transit. IIRC, eighty cents of every transportation dollar goes right to roads wile the other twenty percent must be split between local transit authorities, Amtrak, commuter rail,etc. At least that's how I believe it works at least on the federal level.
At the state level, it seems also that there's a general favoring of roads over transit, thus the lack of funds to the MBTA and other transit authorities, hence the service cuts and fare increases despite the fact that more people are using transit in this country.
If Boston to Cape Cod rail service occurs in 2012 I will eat a jelly doughnut dipped in tomato sauce.
atlantis
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:33 am

Re: Fare Hikes + Heavy Service Cuts Looming

Postby KEN PATRICK » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:22 pm

atlantis_ google mbta sources of funds. the data makes your claims foolish. operating costs $1.6 bil? - 55% state ( 20% of sales tax revenues), fares 28%, federal ( non-capital ) 2%, local 9% , all other 6%. capital: federal 48% . state 34% and bonds 18%. for something so financially out-of-balance, new bonding should be zero.
because of still-too-cheap fares. the state raided the vehicle inspection fee 'trust' for $51mil. check the finances of the 'massachusetts transportation trust fund' supported by tolls on the turnpike and tobin. track that money.
face it, mbta is bankrupt and should be so declared. ken patrick
KEN PATRICK
 

Re: Fare Hikes + Heavy Service Cuts Looming

Postby CRail » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:05 pm

The deficit is caused by state debt given to the Authority as part of a notoriously outragous highway project. Atlantis is absolutely right, making the claims against his exactly what his were called, foolish.

I'll agree to run transit at cost when tolls are up on 93 which cover the cost of the big dig project and the annual expenses of maintaining the infrastructure it created. When roads everywhere are paid for by those who drive on them, I will then agree with the motorists' argument that the T should be paid for by its ridership. The fact of the matter is, those who primarily use transit still pay the for the streets, bridges, tunnels, traffic lights, drainage, snow removal, etc. which they do not need, so why shouldn't motorists help pay for transit?

I've never used the Fire Department in my town, nor do I send any kids to my local schools, so why should I pay for them?
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
User avatar
CRail
 
Posts: 2132
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004 8:27 am
Location: Eastie

Re: Fare Hikes + Heavy Service Cuts Looming

Postby KEN PATRICK » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:08 am

crail- sigh. what is it about financial facts you don't understand? the 'deficit' has an interest part but the major portion is in 'operations'. $1.6 bil with $700 mil in fare recovery. take time to look at the various pieces ie the biggest loser et al of the various modes. it's instructive. the data will make your retort even more 'foolish'. i remain convinced mbta should file for bankruptcy protection. eliminate all union contracts, pensions. health-care ( it's going to be obama free anyway). double the fares and eliminate all expansion. run a clean system. i suspect a fare doubling will not greatly reduce ridership. ken patrick
KEN PATRICK
 

Re: Fare Hikes + Heavy Service Cuts Looming

Postby TrainManTy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:59 am

KEN PATRICK wrote:i suspect a fare doubling will not greatly reduce ridership.


I ride the train from Zone 7, which is currently $9.25 a ride. If we double the fare, that goes up to $18.50 per ride, then multiply that by two for my round trip. Adding $8 to ride the subway to and from work, I'd spent $45 on train fares alone.

Who makes enough money that they can afford to spend $45 a day on train fares? I sure don't!

I suspect that a fare doubling would annihilate ridership, especially in the outer zones. Keep trolling, Ken.
Tyler

All posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak for any organizations on this board.
User avatar
TrainManTy
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Worcester, MA

Re: Fare Hikes + Heavy Service Cuts Looming

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:29 pm

TrainManTy wrote:
KEN PATRICK wrote:i suspect a fare doubling will not greatly reduce ridership.


I ride the train from Zone 7, which is currently $9.25 a ride. If we double the fare, that goes up to $18.50 per ride, then multiply that by two for my round trip. Adding $8 to ride the subway to and from work, I'd spent $45 on train fares alone.

Who makes enough money that they can afford to spend $45 a day on train fares? I sure don't!

I suspect that a fare doubling would annihilate ridership, especially in the outer zones. Keep trolling, Ken.


Just don't respond to him. He's been called out before on other RR.net forums for spreading blatant financial misinformation to push some (???) agenda. This is just schtick.
F-line to Dudley via Park
 
Posts: 7218
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:26 pm
Location: North Cambridge

Re: Fare Hikes + Heavy Service Cuts Looming

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:23 pm

TrainManTy wrote:
KEN PATRICK wrote:i suspect a fare doubling will not greatly reduce ridership.


I ride the train from Zone 7, which is currently $9.25 a ride. If we double the fare, that goes up to $18.50 per ride, then multiply that by two for my round trip. Adding $8 to ride the subway to and from work, I'd spent $45 on train fares alone.

Who makes enough money that they can afford to spend $45 a day on train fares? I sure don't!

I suspect that a fare doubling would annihilate ridership, especially in the outer zones. Keep trolling, Ken.


It would then become more reasonable to live within a closer zone, or within reach of Rapid Transit, reducing suburban sprawl. I'm all ears now. Uh oh. Ken's sucking me in. But Ken would never let tolls be built on his precious roads, so...


F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:to push some (???) agenda.


He needs to make sure his trucking business stays alive and well. Bring on the subsidies -- but only if they benefit him.
User avatar
BostonUrbEx
 
Posts: 3603
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:55 pm
Location: Winn to MPT 8, Boston to MPN 38, and Hat to Bank

Re: Fare Hikes + Heavy Service Cuts Looming

Postby BandM4266 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:57 am

CRail wrote:
BandM4266 wrote:From my understanding it is a union Issue. if you watch at reservoir car house the maintenance personnel will only operate in and out of building as far as the first switch but they may not go past this switch as it is a conflict with unions, same is applied at the Mattapan car house any testing of the PCC's on the line is with a Shifter operating and Maintenance personnel riding along with the car.

Derek is right. I'm curious where you're getting your information, because it's incorrect. Maintenance personnel and operators are both in the same union.


I went over all my information and dug a bit deeper and found that all my information is correct.
BandM4266
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Dracut, Ma

Re: Fare Hikes + Heavy Service Cuts Looming

Postby KEN PATRICK » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:20 pm

'financial misrepresentation'? $1.6 bil operating expense, $.7bil fare revenues. mbta budget presentation. even doubling fares would only yield a break-even at best. 'trolling' -for what? consider me an educator shining light on uncomfortable facts. $45/day mbta commuting cost?. driving would be cheaper and nicer.but who should pay for the fare subsidies? as it is, non-mbta citizens see 20% of their sales taxes go into mbta life-support. is that 'fair'? should the turnpike authority return the hundreds of millions in 'maintenance set-asides' to pay down mbta debt and eliminate tolls thereby ceding the roads expense to the federal govenment? ken patrick
KEN PATRICK
 

Re: Fare Hikes + Heavy Service Cuts Looming

Postby M&Eman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:36 pm

KEN PATRICK wrote:'financial misrepresentation'? $1.6 bil operating expense, $.7bil fare revenues. mbta budget presentation. even doubling fares would only yield a break-even at best. 'trolling' -for what? consider me an educator shining light on uncomfortable facts. $45/day mbta commuting cost?. driving would be cheaper and nicer.but who should pay for the fare subsidies? as it is, non-mbta citizens see 20% of their sales taxes go into mbta life-support. is that 'fair'? should the turnpike authority return the hundreds of millions in 'maintenance set-asides' to pay down mbta debt and eliminate tolls thereby ceding the roads expense to the federal govenment? ken patrick


Don't forget that your driving cost is subsidized too. State and federal money subsidize highway construction and maintenance. Gas tax doesn't recover even a fraction of that. The only way for highways to break even without subsidy is via tolls. Look at the NJ Turnpike, Masspike, Garden State Parkway, etc. They only use state money for capital projects such as widenings, covering all of their operation and maintenance costs through tolls.

Train tickets=highway tolls when trying to compare the economics of roads and rails. They are both user fees. Currently we don't have a highway user fee on most roads, choosing to subsidize the highways through taxes instead.
"The Erie only sells 1 way tickets on the NJ&NY because it only has a 99 year lease on the line."
User avatar
M&Eman
 
Posts: 1198
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:53 pm

Re: Fare Hikes + Heavy Service Cuts Looming

Postby The EGE » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:42 pm

Just don't respond to him. He's trolling, impure and simple. If enough of us use the 'foe' function to ignore him, he'll stop.
User avatar
The EGE
 
Posts: 2460
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:16 pm
Location: Waiting for the N Judah

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests