Fare Hikes + Heavy Service Cuts Looming

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Fare Hikes + Heavy Service Cuts Looming

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:44 pm

wicked wrote:The T shouldn't be printing glossy anything now. I know us schedule buffs like them but realistically, what percentage of commuter rail ridership refers to printed timetables?

I use them anytime that I ride the commuter rail. I haven't memorized the schedules, and all of my trips are different, so I need to have them with me.
Ron Newman

Postby obienick » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Unlike other agencies, the MBTA has never ever to my knowledge published a detailed rapid transit schedule like that. I never understood why as the master pdf style schedule is completely useless.

With respect to 26 minute headway time, that sounds like there is only one trolley operating. Is this correct? Why not just delay each run slightly to always leave Mattapan on :30's or :00's and Ashmont on :15's and :45's. Simple schedules have been proven in other agencies to drastically increase ridership.
obienick

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:25 pm

If you read the new subway schedule carefully, there was a line under the Mattapan Service Note, reading "Also, See Separate Schedule Card", which indicates a seperate schedule for Mattapan service is now published.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby The EGE » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:40 pm

Yes, there is only one trolley operating. I still do not understand why - the lost revenue equals the cost of paying the extra motorperson.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby diburning » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:01 pm

wicked wrote:
Ron Newman wrote:At South Station tonight, they are distributing new glossy red schedules for most lines, effective July 1.

The T shouldn't be printing glossy anything now. I know us schedule buffs like them but realistically, what percentage of commuter rail ridership refers to printed timetables? I'm guessing the percentage of tablet/smartphone ownership in the many wealthy and upper middle class communities served by commuter rail in general, especially in Massachusetts, greatly outstrips the percentage of tablet/smartphone ownership in the general population. Even if there were a high demand for printed timetables, reducing the quality of paper stock should be considered.

Are you schedule buffs the reason why they run out and have to photocopy them to have more to distribute? If so, then there are a lot more of you than I thought! If not, then I guess maybe people actually read them!
diburning

time for a bankruptcy filing?

Postby KEN PATRICK » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:23 am

can bankruptcy be the answer? with $8 bil in debt and $3bil in needed maintenance & equipment and where the fare revenues barely cover the debt interest , it seems apparent that bankruptcy is the only method which can correct the existing flawed financial structure. many postings here simply rearrange the deck chairs. bankruptcy can eliminate debt, employee wage scales and benefits, pensions and expansions. a clean-sweep approach. ken patrick
KEN PATRICK

Postby Amtrak7 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:29 pm

saulblum wrote:
Amtrak7 wrote:http://mbta.com/uploadedfiles/Fares_and_Passes_v2/rtMattapan.pdf

Where did you find that PDF link?

http://mbta.com/fares_and_passes/charlie/?id=24359

Scroll down to Service Changes->Mattapan Line

As for other agencies, WMATA doesn't publish a rush hour schedule, NYCT publishes schedules because they are legislated to do so.
Amtrak7

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:18 pm

Is there a reverse (cover) side of the new Mattapan schedule, with a route map similar to the bus timetable format?

BART, NJT (Light Rail), Baltimore Metro (Maryland MTA), SEPTA, CTA and LA Metro all provide full printed schedules. CTA even has full schedules for each station listing exact times (the ideal format if an agency could publish it).
R36 Combine Coach

Postby saulblum » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:40 pm

Amtrak7 wrote:http://mbta.com/fares_and_passes/charlie/?id=24359

Scroll down to Service Changes->Mattapan Line

As for other agencies, WMATA doesn't publish a rush hour schedule, NYCT publishes schedules because they are legislated to do so.

The Mattapan timetable should be listed on the main Red Line page.

http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subw ... ?route=RED

You shouldn't have to hunt around for it, on a page that is not even linked from the main site anymore.
saulblum

Postby wicked » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:23 am

diburning wrote:
wicked wrote:
Ron Newman wrote:At South Station tonight, they are distributing new glossy red schedules for most lines, effective July 1.

The T shouldn't be printing glossy anything now. I know us schedule buffs like them but realistically, what percentage of commuter rail ridership refers to printed timetables? I'm guessing the percentage of tablet/smartphone ownership in the many wealthy and upper middle class communities served by commuter rail in general, especially in Massachusetts, greatly outstrips the percentage of tablet/smartphone ownership in the general population. Even if there were a high demand for printed timetables, reducing the quality of paper stock should be considered.

Are you schedule buffs the reason why they run out and have to photocopy them to have more to distribute? If so, then there are a lot more of you than I thought! If not, then I guess maybe people actually read them!

My reference was more to the stock issue. Why is the T paying X amount for glossy printed documents? At least go down to a card stock, save some cash.
wicked

Postby Ron Newman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:42 pm

The glossy stock is probably more durable than ordinary paper.
Ron Newman

Postby Amtrak7 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:21 pm

I've never seen a printed T schedule before, but they're one of the few agencies I know of to use it. From handling glossy NICE schedules, I don't like the paper stock they use. Light and not durable at all, plus it yellows fast in the sun.

Most agencies use some form of standard paper and it seems to work well. (NYCT, SEPTA, DART, NJT, MNR, LIRR, Amtrak, SLE)
Amtrak7

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:08 pm

Amtrak7 wrote:I've never seen a printed T schedule before, but they're one of the few agencies I know of to use it. From handling glossy NICE schedules, I don't like the paper stock they use. Light and not durable at all, plus it yellows fast in the sun.

Most agencies use some form of standard paper and it seems to work well. (NYCT, SEPTA, DART, NJT, MNR, LIRR, Amtrak, SLE)

As note on the website and on brorchures, MBTA schedules are available at the State Transporation Building (2nd floor), Park Street (Green Line level), Airport Station, Back Bay, Downtown Crossing (Orange Line) and at local libraries. How readily available (in stock) they are I'm not always sure of. NYCT timetables for subway routes (especially a current edition) are very hard to obtain, even aften stopping at every agent's booth on a particular line. Even the NYCT Customer Service office can be empty handed.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby MACTRAXX » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:22 pm

Amtrak7 wrote:I've never seen a printed T schedule before, but they're one of the few agencies I know of to use it. From handling glossy NICE schedules, I don't like the paper stock they use. Light and not durable at all, plus it yellows fast in the sun.

A7: Being a Long Islander myself I understand how you feel about the NICE Bus schedules...
There were advantages to the LI Bus timetables that they replaced...like a smaller size...
MBTA/MBCR Commuter Rail timetables are printed using similar glossy paper but noticeably smaller...

I try to obtain the MBTA Rapid Transit,Commuter Ferries and Silver Line schedules when I can...
They are the most interesting TTs to me outside Commuter Rail...

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby Amtrak7 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:11 pm

As far as obtaining NYCT schedules goes, every station booth that I asked had one, but in some cases it was a few picks if not a few years out of date.

Customer service had most of them last time I was there. Look on the revolving rack next to the front entrance to the office (not the building)
Amtrak7

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)