Scheduled Time Between South Station and Back Bay

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Scheduled Time Between South Station and Back Bay

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Wed May 16, 2012 2:49 pm

By the time of this aerial (perhaps 2006-07), the siding was long out of service.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby Teamdriver » Wed May 16, 2012 5:46 pm

Yes , the Herald is gone from there , the printing and delivery in some sort of joint setup with the Globe , I believe. The building is still there, even as we type it is in the news today:
Old Herald a new SWAT training site http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/v ... ition=also
Here is an old picture from when they were in the newsprint district :
Attachments
Record American.jpg
Record American.jpg (242.73 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
Teamdriver

Postby CSX Conductor » Mon May 21, 2012 3:41 pm

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Where was the Herald printing facility and how were cars routed there? I just learned something new here.

Generally The Herald was serviced out of Beacon Park after 10/1030pm. Up until sometime in 2005 the yard crew on the overnight shift at Beacon serviced The Herald. However, eventually the third trick switcher landed in the hands of younger conductors not qualified east of CP3 and CSXT management didn't wanna pay them to qualify, so myself & my engineer at the time serviced The Herald during our downtown work on B733 out of Readville. The cars were still routed Selkirk to Beacon Park, so we would leave our South Boston cars in the yard in Southie and run lite engine to Beacon to get the Herald car(s). We'd take the empties from The Herald back to Readville with the rest of our train though. I don't recall the exact date, but I remember pulling the last car outta The Herald sometime in 2006, probably late summer/ fall.
CSX Conductor

Postby Teamdriver » Wed May 23, 2012 8:12 am

Good stuff , CSX ,couple of questions , if you could. How many cars did they get at a time? Did you also roll into the Globe too? I know newspaper printing has been scattered around, does the Globe get cars there in Dot ?Good man !
Teamdriver

Postby wicked » Wed May 23, 2012 9:29 pm

Globe plant prints a number of papers now ... all runs of the Globe, the city run of the Herald (early run still in Chicopee at Dow Jones), the Patriot Ledger, the Enterprise ...

ObRail: There was a siding to the Globe building, but it's been so long since I took note of that stretch that I don't know if it still exists or is in service.
wicked

Postby BostonUrbEx » Wed May 23, 2012 11:41 pm

The Globe still receives regular shipments out of Readville via the Dorchester Branch.
BostonUrbEx

Postby CSX Conductor » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:55 am

Teamdriver wrote:How many cars did they get at a time?
The Herald siding held 4 cars on their platform. However, towards the end of rail service carloads were less frequent and many times I remember bringing only one car at a time from Beacon Park and just leaving the other empty.....grab both of them the next night.
Teamdriver wrote: Did you also roll into the Globe too?
Yes, I worked B733 alot which used to do the South Boston work. When I hired out The Boston Globe got 8 or 9 cars a night. Unfortunately the internet has nearly crippled newspaper production and car loads of paper dwindled down to only a few cars per week, if not less. The Boston Globe can hold 4 cars on each track inside their building. Whan they were busy and were getting alot of cars, a 9th car could be spotted outside at a mini dock just outside the door of the warehouse.
CSX Conductor

Postby Teamdriver » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:00 pm

I think the Globe has an printing operation in Billerica, that might have affected the car count too unless they unloaded the paper in Dot and trucked it out there...
Teamdriver

Postby CSX Conductor » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:46 pm

Unfortunately it was often cheaper to truck it into Boston, for both The Herald & The Globe. It is my understanding that the Billerica location never had rail service.
CSX Conductor

Postby wicked » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:10 pm

Billerica plant has been closed for several years now.
wicked

Postby Teamdriver » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:33 pm

Too bad it is closed, more lost jobs! Hey CSX, I goggled it and it shows tracks but never service, how bizarre! Oh well, but take a gander, nice setup.
Attachments
Boston Globe Billerica.jpg
Boston Globe Billerica.jpg (164.32 KiB) Viewed 967 times
Teamdriver

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)