Green line problems on the morning of 12/17

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Green line problems on the morning of 12/17

Postby iandavid » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:30 pm

It seems like there was all sorts of commotion on the Green Line this morning. On my walk to Brookline Village on the D Line, I could smell burning brakes from a block away on Kent Street. When we got near the station, I could see a Boeing LRV sitting, empty, on the outbound track, just before the station, with the driver standing in the open front door. The lead car was 3462, pulling 3439. Am I correct in assuming that the lead car in a pair-up handles all the acceleration/braking?

As I was standing on the platform, the supervisor(?) showed up (in one of the blue-and-yellow striped Chevy Suburbans) and ordered the driver to pull the train up to the platform. The whole situation was very odd; there weren't a lot of people waiting at the platform, so it wasn't as though the train had emptied out just then. Maybe it was just limping along to Riverside?

On my way inbound, the ride was very slow, and the driver came on at one point (between Kenmore and Hynes, I think) and informed us that there was heavy traffic on the line due to an earlier disabled train. I'm not sure if it was the same train I saw heading outbound at Brookline Village. Anyone know the whole story?
iandavid

Postby typesix » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:32 pm

Don't know the story but from what you've described the train you saw may have had a problem going inbound and was rerouted to the outbound side. The burning brakes is a common problem, one or more truck's disk brakes may come on and not indicate on the operator's display. The operator will not know until smoke is visible or is smelled. The lead car normally only controls the acceleration/braking for the train, it does not pull the trailing car or brake the trailer, unless the trailer is being towed.
No passengers are allowed on a car being towed or pushed unless its brakes are functional.
typesix

Postby BC Eagle » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:43 pm

I took the D-Line in from Reservoir around 7:30 this morning. My ride was uneventful, no noticeable delays. However, when I exited at North Station, the smell of burning brakes filled the station.
BC Eagle

Postby ST214 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:54 pm

I have smelled this at times too. Usually, it's a Boeing that has the odor.

Every ime i go to NYC, i always smell it on the MU's that Metro North operates between New Haven and New York. They always smell like burning brakes, at the end of and especially inbetween the cars.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:36 pm

I smelled burning brakes when I got on at Government Center around 8:15 this evening.
Ron Newman

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)