Wedgemere Station Work

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Wedgemere Station Work

Postby octr202 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:39 am

Some of them can be fun to walk on - a bit "flexible." Andover's always feels a little shaky to me, and you can see it drooping a bit.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby 130MM » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:26 am

sery2831 wrote:The tunnel on the Western Route has the same clearance as Porter Square. Newer large locomotives will not fit through either.

The tunnel was not the limiting vertical clearance for the West Route, and the big engines will fit through the tunnel. Winter St. OH bridge at Oak Grove is the limiting vertical clearance. The limiting horizontal clearance is as discussed, the platforms at Oak Grove and Malden. They will also fit through Porter Sq. The limiting vertical clearance on the "ethanol" route is Washington Ave. OH in Chelsea. There the big units impinge on the factor of safety, but only because of the stuff mounted on the top of the cabs. They measure 15' 6" otherwise. The T units are all 15' 6".

The track at Readville from Sprague St. to Hill over the Corridor does have a mini-high. In fact, soon after it opened a plug door box car was run through there with the door open. The platform ripped the door off, and it ended up on the Corridor. The platform has since been modified with a retractable edge.

There will be no second platform at Fitchburg.

The foam edge is sacrificial. While they are not supposed to be hit, as they say on the railroad, things happen. It is cheaper to replace a foam edge than having a plug door bouncing down a platform.

DAW
130MM

Postby The EGE » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:36 pm

I stopped by Wedgemere last week. The work is, amazingly, nearly done. Both mini-highs and both ramps are in place and for all intents and purposes complete; when I walked by, the contractor seemed to be putting the finishing touches on the roofs of the outbound ramp. I am not sure if the southern end of the platforms will be rehabilitated, but the accessibility portion of the program should be just about coming to a close.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... y_2013.JPG
The EGE

Postby jamesinclair » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:41 pm

Please tell me the other half of the platform gets repaved :/
jamesinclair

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:06 pm

jamesinclair wrote:Please tell me the other half of the platform gets repaved :/

I don't know about repaved, but it does look like the full platform will receive tactile edges.
BostonUrbEx

Postby octr202 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:49 am

I'm not so sure I share the optimistic views of progress. I ride through there usually at least once a week - I haven't seen any significant progress in a few months probably (so much so that I've kinda given up paying much attention). I'm not saying there might not be a good reason for the delay (design flaw, supplier problem, etc.) but this has been one SLOW project.
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Postby The EGE » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:12 pm

The MBTA's page says:

Limited platform reconstruction at the southern end of the station will be completed in phases through early 2013.

So it appears likely that they'll at least add the tactile edge to the rest of the platforms.
The EGE

Postby AEM7AC920 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:57 am

Tomorrow morning on both tracks north end of platform will be returned to service and south ends removed from service.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby The EGE » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:39 am

AEM7AC920 wrote:Tomorrow morning on both tracks north end of platform will be returned to service and south ends removed from service.

Well, that's that then.

Winchester is currently under construction, and West Medford may get a priority ADA job as GLX mitigation. That would put every regular stop on the Lowell Line accessible; currently only the Old Colony, Greenbush, Needham, Fairmount, and (mandated by this November) Providence lines are.

I thought Mishawum was supposed to be accessible with the recent work there, but instead it no longer is listed as such. What's going on there?
The EGE

Postby octr202 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:06 pm

Wow...was starting to think we'd never see the Wedgemere mini-highs opened for use!

Mishawum's mini-highs are still there, but blocked off. Don't know access to one platform or the other was disrupted during the construction on the west side - but you'd think that even for a minimally-used station, if the construction took away the necessary ramps, it'd have to be put back.
octr202

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:26 pm

The EGE wrote:
AEM7AC920 wrote:Tomorrow morning on both tracks north end of platform will be returned to service and south ends removed from service.

Well, that's that then.

Winchester is currently under construction, and West Medford may get a priority ADA job as GLX mitigation. That would put every regular stop on the Lowell Line accessible; currently only the Old Colony, Greenbush, Needham, Fairmount, and (mandated by this November) Providence lines are.

I thought Mishawum was supposed to be accessible with the recent work there, but instead it no longer is listed as such. What's going on there?

Stoughton's fully compliant too. And I guess Haverhill too if you're on an Anderson express.

Providence has still got to get the Sharon rebuild out of the way before it's compliant. That's a big job, though I think final design's just about complete. Eastern Route only has to do Chelsea before all are compliant except exempt flag stops Riverworks and Prides Crossing. Not sure why that one's taken so long to do.

Worcester (7 non-compliant), Fitchburg (7 non-compliant + 2 exempt flag stops), Reading (5 non-compliant), and Franklin (5 non-compliant + 1 exempt flag stop) are the lines still stuck deep in the stone age. Walpole, Franklin, Wakefield, and Natick are all particularly galling omissions with Blue Book boardings of 700+ per day.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby sery2831 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 pm

The EGE wrote:

Well, that's that then.

Winchester has a long way to go before it's ADA.

Mishawum was parted out to make the Waltham mini high levels. I always wondered how they got away with taking the mini high levels out of an active station.

West Medford would be so easy to do, but yet they have not. That's one station I would really like to see done.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby The EGE » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:56 pm

Sery, you're correct about Winchester. I'd though the current renovations included accessibility - I mean, there's already ramps to the platforms - but apparently it's just emergency repairs.

Sharon must have mini-highs (I don't think they're budgeting for full highs) by October 1st or the station will have to be closed. So that's the number one priority because that one station brings 2,275 rich and well-connected riders every day. That's like losing everything on the Worcester Line inside of Natick.
The EGE

Postby sery2831 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:23 pm

There was some confusion last night at Wedgemere. At some point in the afternoon the south part of the platform was closed and the north new part was opened. But the high levels were not placed in service. The bulletin put out said this was all to take place at 4am today with the high levels put in service. Since I have one of those 24 Conductor Companion, they put a page out around 9am saying the high levels are now in service.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby The EGE » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:08 pm

Official word from the MBTA project page:

The mini-high platforms, accessible ramps, and accessible parking spaces were opened to patrons on February 1, 2013; Wedgemere Station is now fully accessible. Limited platform reconstruction at the southern end of the station will be completed in phases through early 2013. Landscaping installation, the final component of construction, will be completed in the spring of 2013.

Wedgemere is now listed as accessible on its own page, but the system map has not yet been updated.
The EGE

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)