MBTA Offering Free Behind the Scenes Tours

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: MBTA Offering Free Behind the Scenes Tours

Postby MBTA1016 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:05 pm

3rdrail wrote:Once they hit the net, Rob, they're like a bumble bee in a tornado- they can wind up anywhere. I've had posters use my photos to make points with me referring to the pic as "their" photo !

Ouch you're work and they take credit. Sounds like that's what children would do. I've never plagiarized so I avoided that potential problem
Josh.W
Formally mbta fan
WE ARE BOSTON, WE ARE BOSTON STRONG

Flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/116905626@N06/
Blog: http://jpwilkinson2448.blogspot.com/?m=1
MBTA1016

Postby ck4049 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:31 pm

If I do make one of the tours and its on a school day, I WOULD ABSOLUTELY SKIP SCHOOL FOR THAT!!!
ck4049

Postby MBTA1016 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:15 pm

ck4049 wrote:If I do make one of the tours and its on a school day, I WOULD ABSOLUTELY SKIP SCHOOL FOR THAT!!!

I already have to make up snowdays due to strange weather and I dont like being behind in school(high school), and ive missed school due to my grandfather passing away, another two days with stuff to make up, missed another day with strep throat. I hate being behind with stuff.
Josh.W
Formally mbta fan
WE ARE BOSTON, WE ARE BOSTON STRONG

Flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/116905626@N06/
Blog: http://jpwilkinson2448.blogspot.com/?m=1
MBTA1016

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:32 pm

3rdrail wrote:Once they hit the net, Rob, they're like a bumble bee in a tornado- they can wind up anywhere. I've had posters use my photos to make points with me referring to the pic as "their" photo !

I know Paul, right? I thought these photos, at best, would have only been shared by all of us here. I made a terrible/amateur mistake. I thanked our tour guide in name several times. It would have been fine, if it was private. He shared information, whether it was confidential or not is irreverent. Information that he may have thought was between friends. I would have hated him to have gotten in trouble. So, to my surprise my photos were linked on Universal Hub. I think what steamed me was they did not ask, nor did they credit me. A total violation of Flickr. Then to have some knucklehead commenter make a slight against the people who truly gave us a gift today, just sent me off the deep end.

Now I am home and toweling off.

The T did an awesome job, and if they offer this tour again, I cannot recommend it enough. I hope to get the Bus one next time.

edited for spelling.
Last edited by Adams_Umass_Boston on Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby diburning » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:26 pm

Threaten legal action. People have stolen photos of mine before and reuploaded them as their own. I've had them removed every time I threatened legal action (a simple cease and desist will do).
diburning

Postby Scott10690 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:58 pm

I was present for the Operations Control Center tour this morning and I had a blast. Our guide, the director of the OCC, was really informative, made everyone feel welcome, and took the time to answer everyone's questions. My only complaint is that the observation room was a little cramped by the enormous table in the middle of it (but there wasn't really anywhere they could have moved it). I recommend the OCC tour to anyone if they run this program again. Glad to hear everyone else had fun on their tours.
Attachments
OCC Tour 1.jpg
A mock up of an 01800 in the hallway to the elevator (looked less blurry on my phone).
OCC Tour 1.jpg (145.73 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
Scott10690

Postby diburning » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:34 pm

Are those what I think they are? HO Scale models of the 01800s?
diburning

Postby Scott10690 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:42 pm

No. It looks like it was a promotional mock up from Bombardier that's now on display at 45 High Street. That or the T had it custom made for their hallway. It was huge. And pretty cool. There are smaller, less detailed, wooden models in a T shaped case in the lobby. Those models are of a Type 8, an 01800, a commuter boat, a 60 foot bus (not discernible between a Neoplan or New Flyer), a ride car, a bi-level commuter rail coach, and two Hawker-Siddeleys (one orange, one blue).
Scott10690

Postby saulblum » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:03 am

Here are my photos of the Commuter Rail Maintenance Facility, plus a video --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87614014@N ... 229220437/
saulblum

Postby SM89 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:55 am

Scott10690 wrote:No. It looks like it was a promotional mock up from Bombardier that's now on display at 45 High Street. That or the T had it custom made for their hallway. It was huge. And pretty cool. There are smaller, less detailed, wooden models in a T shaped case in the lobby. Those models are of a Type 8, an 01800, a commuter boat, a 60 foot bus (not discernible between a Neoplan or New Flyer), a ride car, a bi-level commuter rail coach, and two Hawker-Siddeleys (one orange, one blue).

The lobby area is open to the public. They have a bunch of bus schedules that people can take. For anyone that wants to see these models, just pretend that you're there for a schedule.
SM89

Postby digitalsciguy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:09 am

Scott10690 wrote:No. It looks like it was a promotional mock up from Bombardier that's now on display at 45 High Street. That or the T had it custom made for their hallway. It was huge. And pretty cool. There are smaller, less detailed, wooden models in a T shaped case in the lobby. Those models are of a Type 8, an 01800, a commuter boat, a 60 foot bus (not discernible between a Neoplan or New Flyer), a ride car, a bi-level commuter rail coach, and two Hawker-Siddeleys (one orange, one blue).

There's actually a second pair of these models over at the MBTA offices on the third floor of the Transportation Building at 10 Park Plaza. They're just outside the large conference room where the MBTA holds its Board meetings and press conferences. In the waiting area is also the last turnstile removed from service, a model bi-level commuter rail car, as well as a tolken of appreciation by the president of one of the Japanese railroads who came to visit a while back. Public meetings aren't often held there, but the MBTA and MassDOT board meetings are open to the public; you can't just mosey past the security guards up to the third floor, but those meetings are a valid reason to go up and see the tchotchkes.
digitalsciguy

Postby ck4049 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:49 pm

Has anyone received an update from the T about the Behind the Scenes tours lately? I havent heard anything in weeks.
ck4049

Postby BandM4266 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:02 pm

ck4049 wrote:Has anyone received an update from the T about the Behind the Scenes tours lately? I havent heard anything in weeks.

Look back at the original link.
Anybody waiting for any tour will be waiting for a Long time.
MBTA OCC is full thru May 2012
CRMF is full thru March 2012.
Everett shops are full thru May 2012
The site says to check back the first week of the month before the next tours. ( Ex. 1st week of march for April tours)
http://mbta.com/about_the_mbta/?id=22642
BandM4266

Postby CRail » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:01 am

The GM's office also has the last turnstyle to be removed from service. There is some neat stuff scattered throughout the system. Everett has a couple of models too.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby StevieC48 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:37 pm

Are they in the E&M offices I don't reacll seeing them anywhere in the bus shop?
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)