A Government Center question

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: A Government Center question

Postby Red Wing » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:43 pm

I've ridden that loop probably ten years ago. If I remember right, the reason for turnstiles is that non BERy trolley's would turn around there and Charlestown trolleys turned here too.
Red Wing

Postby MBTA3247 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:50 pm

The EGE wrote:Mods: you may wish to merge this topic with this topic.

I'm quite interested to see the old Brattle loop platform. I've caught glimpses from southbound trains, but otherwise all I've seen is this image from the 1898 BTC report:

(source: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... form_2.png )

The Brattle Loop platform is on the left.

As you can see, there once were stairs and turnstiles on the platform. I'm curious if they'll reopen it as an entrance, or if Brattle Loop is too valuable as storage space.

If that photo is looking the direction I think it is (towards the existing eastbound track and parallel to the westbound track), nothing seen in that photo remains today, so there's no entrance to reopen. The modern Brattle Loop is a single ~180-degree curve, not a pair of ~90-degree curves separated by the tangent track shown.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby Gerry6309 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:32 am

Disney Guy wrote:More like this:

http://www.cockam.com/pix3/scollay2.jpg

The north end of the station (westbound track and Brattle Loop entrance) is unchanged from 100+ years ago.

The map overlaying the photo is quite accurate. Note the extremely sharp curve where the Brattle Loop turns into the new alignment. That is the governing curve on the entire Green Line. The curves between Reservoir Yard and Pendergast Av. (yes it is a street) come next. The buildings along the south edge of the former Cornhill St. give a good idea of where the original subway runs. Both Brattle and NB Main tracks ran this way, but, in order to increase platform space, the MTA paved area around the tracks going into the tunnel as a platform extension. There was no loop from the west until the new alignment opened in 1963.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)