MBTA During Rush Hour

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

MBTA During Rush Hour

Postby GP40MC 1116 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:13 pm

Does anyone out their can give some helpful tips when not to ride the T during rush hour. I will be going into Boston on a Friday or Saturday (or both) real soon to do some Christmas shopping. I just hate waiting for a train or bus, then it pulls in and is full. Any Help Appreciated
GP40MC 1116

Postby jwhite07 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:40 pm

Basically you buys your token and you takes your chances. It's rush hour, it's Christmastime, it's going to be busy. Fact of life.
jwhite07

Postby nightowl » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:46 pm

Buy enough tokens for the whole trip at one booth, that will save you the most time. With no other specifics, I would just avoid the Green line.
nightowl

Postby efin98 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:59 pm

I suggest going shopping at a mall or major shopping complex like Downtown Crossing or the Cambridgeside Galleria that have great transit nearby and comes with decent headways(about 15-20 minutes maybe, 30 at most). Bus service stinks the further you go away from downtown, especially to the major malls like the Square One Mall and the South Shore Plaza. And if you want to save a few bucks I find that tyou are probably going to find something cheaper in Boston or in Cambridge than farther away. It pays coming from a family of department store employees :wink:
efin98

Postby CSX Conductor » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:41 pm

I agree with EFin, especially if you come into North Station on the Commuter Rail, either go to Downtown Crossing, or The Cambridgeside Galleria. If it is nice out, you could walk from North Station to the Cambridgeside Galleria :wink:
CSX Conductor

Postby Robert Paniagua » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:57 pm

And you can also go to Harvard Square, where there are many stores too. Take the Red Line to Harvard and it's right at the exit from the station.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby SbooX » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:10 pm

Keep in mind that Lechmere station is closed (along with Science Park) due to construction leaving you with a shuttle bus to get there, unless you walk as CSX suggested. Not a very nice walk though. I think the Galleria also sponsors a shuttle from Kendall. Not sure about that though.
SbooX

Postby CSX Conductor » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:29 pm

Yes there is a shuttle from Kendall, so if coming in on the Fitchburg Line, get off @ Porter Square and take the Red Line from there to Kendall Sq. to get the shuttle, or even walk from Kendall, it is a shorter walk than North Station.

If coming to NOrth Station via any other line, I would take the Orange Line to Community College, then just walk over the Gilmore Bridge (a.k.a. The Prison-point Bridge). :wink:
CSX Conductor

Postby SnoozerZ49 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:40 pm

Here is a different opinion. I travel from North Station to Chinatown every Sunday for dinner. I have given up on waiting for the Orange line trains to come. The Green line turns are much more frequent and I just get off at Boylston Street instead of Chinatown.

My suggestion is that if you want to go down to Washington Street to Filene's or Macy's take the first train ( Orange or Greeen) that shows up ( they both board on the same platform at North Station now so you can choose the first train into the station regardless of the line. If you get the Green Line get off at Park St and walk the block down to Washington St Downtown Crossing.
SnoozerZ49

Postby savebowdoin » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:46 pm

Here's another tip -- if you are going home at off-peak times (heading back to North Station to catch a train, or even South Station), I would suggest walking or maybe taking the Green Line. I work in Downtown Crossing and have either missed my train or been forced to run to North Station several times because of bad frequencies on the Orange Line. If I have less than 30 minutes to spare to get to my train, I usually walk to North Station -- seems like a long walk, but if you're up to it, it is a bit more refreshing and takes 15 minutes or less, depending on how briskly you walk. From Downtown to South Station is even faster, so I wouldn't really bother with the Red Line at all in that case.
Also, coming from someone who frequents the CambridgeSide Galleria, I would definately recommend NOT taking the Green Line shuttle if at all possible -- it is almost ALWAYS packed to the gills, especially at this time of year, with shoppers and tourists with bags and strollers and the like. I either walk to North Station, which isnt TOO bad, except for the back-and-forth configuration of the temporary pedestrian walkways at Leverett Circle, or either walk to or take the FREE and fairly frequent shuttle to Kendall/MIT. That shuttle is very handy, and is rarely standing-room-only, but it is only good if you're shopping before 5pm, shortly after which it ceases operation.
savebowdoin

MBTA During Rush Hour

Postby GP40MC 1116 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:46 am

Thanks for your reply's I believe my questions have been answered with excelllent input- Thanks Again
GP40MC 1116

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)