Bad news regarding the Type #8

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Bad news regarding the Type #8

Postby Robert Paniagua » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:27 am

Well it seems that the MBTA has cancelled the remaining 53 out of 100 Type 8 streetcars from Breda, and will refuse to take anymore from them because of those defects that we've been talking about. Now that means that some of the pre-1980 Borings may have to stay on the road as long as the 015/1600s.

Maybe the MBTA should have had the Type 8 ordered from Bombardier instead........................what do you all think???
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Re: Bad news regarding the Type #8

Postby AEM7AC920 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:43 am

Robert Paniagua wrote:Well it seems that the MBTA has cancelled the remaining 53 out of 100 Type 8 streetcars from Breda, and will refuse to take anymore from them because of those defects that we've been talking about. Now that means that some of the pre-1980 Borings may have to stay on the road as long as the 015/1600s.

Maybe the MBTA should have had the Type 8 ordered from Bombardier instead........................what do you all think???

The things have been bad news since they entered service. I liked them a lot but now i'm just about ready to say the things suck!

Someone call Bombardier or Kinki :P

GRRR!!!!!
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby jwhite07 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:09 am

Wow.

In a way, I'm glad the T had the smarts to do this. Five years of struggling with a POS product is really too much - eventually you gotta just say enough is enough. I hope the T gets as much $$ as they can out of Breda.

What I'm not so glad about is that they'll have to start right from step one again on a new contract. I'm kind of unclear what Mulhern's comment that he'd just turn to Kinki Sharyo is all about - I know KS got a sole-source contract for more Type 7s, but they were essentially identical to the previous ones. I don't think you can simply award a contract for the next new design of a car without going through the competitive bid process just because a company came in second on the last contract.

Either way, the MBTA needs to get hot on this right now. They're already several years behind the eight-ball on replacing and expanding the fleet, and who knows how long it will be until a Type 8B or a Type 9 or whatever it is hits the rails (and hopefully stays on them). Another couple of years anyway.

I had heard that the MBTA acquired some critical spare parts for Boeings a few months ago... looks like they're going to have to use them!

Also, I wonder what the reaction of the disabled community will be? Are they going to sue the T to try to block them from cancelling an order for accessible equipment?

We live in interesting times.
jwhite07

Here's the globe story

Postby marlowe » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:11 am

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... _problems/

So will the "New Type 8's" actually be called Type 9's????
marlowe

Postby jwhite07 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:06 am

Here's a somewhat more detailed version of the article:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articl ... ns?mode=PF
jwhite07

Postby ST214 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:13 am

Ok, time to either call Kinki-Sharyo or Siemens. They can BOTH get it right. Breda can go &%#* themselves.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby AEM7AC920 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:16 am

Thanks for posting the article, this is all a waste of money and now we have some of the T7's being configured to work with the T8's with no more being put into service. I think if the cars were tested good then they should of caught most of these problems before they got down the line. I still like the look of the cars but looking at them technical terms they are garbage!!! Now the question is what to do with all the lemons left siting in the yards not in service and the one's that are left? A. Keeping wasting money to keep them fixed and in service or B. Dump them which won't happen. I say get all the things working that are on the T's property and use them heavily on the B & C lines since they seem to run on those lines fine and keep some of the strain off the Boeings.
AEM7AC920

Postby jwhite07 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:43 am

With the speed restrictions they must operate within, the Type 8s are wreaking havoc with the schedule on the B line right now. Better to keep as many of these things on the C line as possible, which is much shorter and doesn't have a lot of areas where you can go faster than 25mph.

Hmmm... only 26 cars are required for peak C line service. What to do with the other 21 cars? Too bad the T got rid of the pocket track remnant of the Watertown Line... could have used the remaining Type 8s as a Packards Corner - Park Street shuttle to reduce crowding on the "BU School Bus" section of the B line and within the Central Subway. Don't get up above 25mph much there either...
jwhite07

Postby AEM7AC920 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:56 am

It does seem to be a good idea to just have the C line dedicated to the Type 8's that we have because if we used all the Breda's for the C line then i'm sure there still will be extra breda's left for sub's and the left over boeings will be able to fill in some of the cracks on the other lines.
AEM7AC920

Postby MBTA1 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:46 pm

To me this thread should be called good news about the Breda's! But on a serious note... the globe article said "The T will even consider keeping the 86 Kinki Sharyo cars longer". I thought they weren't going anywhere.
MBTA1

thank God!

Postby Gregger2 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:20 pm

It's about time somebody saw the light!!!!
Gregger2

Postby Nasadowsk » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:14 pm

About time the (T) saw the light and did the right thing. I only wish the NY MTA was as gutsy, we're <b>still</b> dealing with those pieces of junk from EMD that don't work right on the LIRR :(
Nasadowsk

Postby efin98 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:39 pm

MBTA1 wrote:To me this thread should be called good news about the Breda's! But on a serious note... the globe article said "The T will even consider keeping the 86 Kinki Sharyo cars longer". I thought they weren't going anywhere.

I think that's just a simple formality based on a service life projection. I don't know how often the life projection is accurate but if the product is still running good why get rid of them? Type 7s won't be going anywhere anytime soon anyway(that is other than on their regular runs lol).

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it..." about sums up the situation. Ironic that the cars that were supposed to retire lemons turn out to be lemons themselves AND the company that may get chosen to replenish the fleet is the same company that manufactured the cars that replenished the fleet 18 years ago!
efin98

Actually ......

Postby ctaman34 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:41 pm

ctaman34

Postby Robert Paniagua » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:29 am

The article also said that they may turn to Kinki-Sharyo to do the M8's. However, another possible tram manufacturer that could build them would be CKD Praha and the "Tatras" model in this link.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)