Saugus Draw Failure

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Saugus Draw Failure

Postby StefanW » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:51 pm

Just got this from MBCR:

MBCR RailMail <Newburyport_Rockport@mbcr.net> wrote:To All of our Newburyport/Rockport Line Passengers

Saugus Draw Bridge Repair Work

Track One out of Service from Saturday at 11:50pm until 3:00am Monday, November 14, 2011

Customers are advised that all Newburyport/Rockport trains will terminate at Lynn. A replacement bus service will be in operation between Lynn, Chelsea and North Station throughout service on Sunday, November 13th. Customers should anticipate delays of up to 30 minutes.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may experience while this work is being performed.
StefanW

Postby sery2831 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:33 pm

Will this work get both tracks back in service or will this be just to keep the #1 track in service I wonder.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby chapel » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:41 am

So they're still bypassing the inbound side and traveling inbound on the left side of the tracks through the marshlands and into Chelsea.
What's the problem. Is there no switch in the marshlands?
chapel

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:43 am

chapel wrote:So they're still bypassing the inbound side and traveling inbound on the left side of the tracks through the marshlands and into Chelsea.
What's the problem. Is there no switch in the marshlands?

None. Nearest one is by the Route 1A/North Shore Rd. rotary a full 2 miles south of the draw. That clearly merits an IMMEDIATE switch installation. Drawbridges are always more maintenance-heavy than regular bridges. This is not going to be the last time they have an issue.

Is Saugus draw up for any medum/long-range replacement like Beverley draw? I haven't seen it on any state bridge plans, but that might be because they were waiting for a Blue Line Lynn schedule to know if a replacement span had to be 2 or 4 track. Now that the state has given Lynn a giant F.U. on that it's probably going to need major attention much sooner than later. I can't imagine that thing is in enough better shape than Beverly to not be high on the 10-year priority list.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:52 am

What about the Gloucester Draw? As I recall, that was listed as "barely operating" on the scathing report from 2009. Are all 3 the same age? 100 years or so, right?
BostonUrbEx

Postby sery2831 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:33 pm

Gloucester Draw was worked on recently, they spent a good week doing heavy repairs with the line shut down.

Beverly Draw also has had some work done to it and has been far more reliable. It is just waiting it's turn for repairs.

As far as Saugus Draw goes, the piers, I believe on the Boston(west) side are sinking. A gap has formed and trains are no longer allowed to pass over it on the number 2 track. It will be interesting to see what gets done on Sunday.
sery2831

Postby chapel » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:50 am

Did they put a switch in? I'm on the inbound side before Chelsea now
chapel

Postby AEM7AC920 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:36 am

Leaving Lynn running inbound there is already an interlocking before the bridge at brickyard. The only problem is on the west end where wonderland is a few miles prior to the bridge
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby sery2831 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:27 pm

chapel wrote:Did they put a switch in? I'm on the inbound side before Chelsea now

No switch was added.
sery2831

Postby chapel » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:49 pm

Huh. Where's the last switch inbound from Lynn and the first switch after the bridge?
chapel

Postby AEM7AC920 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:58 pm

If you are standing on the platform at lynn looking inbound towards boston you can see the home signals for brickyard prior to the saugus draw, that is where the universal crossover is. After the saugus draw the next crossover is wonderland right next to the dog track a few miles down the line, that is your next set of crossovers.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby octr202 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:45 pm

This just in from MBCR...

To All of Our Newburyport/Rockport Line Customers

Schedule Change Effective: Monday, November 21, 2011

All bridges throughout the commuter rail network are regularly inspected by the MBTA and their contractors to ensure the safe operation of the commuter rail service. On November 9, 2011 an inspection of the Saugas Draw Bridge indicated defects on the bridge’s structure that were less than desirable when a train traveled over it. To ensure safe operation and prevent further deterioration of the condition of the bridge, the engineers involved required that we use only the outbound side of the drawbridge.

On the weekend of November 12th, engineering crews successfully replaced railroad ties on the outbound side of the drawbridge enabling us to raise the 10mph speed restriction on the outbound side of the Saugus River Drawbridge to 30mph. While this has reduced delays they have not been eliminated. This is primarily due to scheduling conflicts resulting from the required single track operation over the drawbridge.

In order to further mitigate delays and provide a more reliable service to our customers, the schedules of some trains which caused conflict have been modified. You will find these changes to be in the 2 to 10 minute range. The modified schedule also includes the cancellation of off peak trains 65 & 66.

Schedules will become effective on Monday, November 21, 2011 and will be available for the evening commute on Wednesday, November 16th at North Station Information as well as www.mbta.com.

Meanwhile, until design concepts have been approved, and a contractor has been hired to make repairs to the inbound track, we will still need to run a single track operation over the drawbridge. Once the repairs have been made, the inbound track will be returned to service and the double-track operation and the original schedule will be restored.

We will continue to provide you with updates to the progress of this project. Thank you for your patience.

Note: Schedule apparently not available online yet either.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby chapel » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:32 pm

I saw that on the scroll board in salem, but I can't find this modified schedule either.
chapel

Postby SM89 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:15 pm

chapel wrote:I saw that on the scroll board in salem, but I can't find this modified schedule either.

They tweeted a link to it this morning http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/Docum ... 4_temp.pdf
SM89

Postby StefanW » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:08 pm

The work extra with 3247, two hopper cars and the caboose was on track 1 just now between the Lynn platforms and the Brickyard interlocking. It looked like they were loading up some rail sections with a front-loader. (Not track panels, just pieces of rail.)

Anyone know if this is related to work on the Saugus Draw, or just other MoW work?

By the way, since the schedule change went into effect 11/21, operations have been remarkably smooth... at least on my trips which are both just after peak AM and PM. The worst I recall in the last three weeks was 2 minutes waiting for an outbound to clear Brickyard so we could proceed inbound on track 1. Not too shabby!
StefanW

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)