Saugus Draw Failure

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Saugus Draw Failure

Postby railfan1988 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:56 am

When standing at Swampscott station and looking westbound, I have noticed that the signal between Swampscott and Lynn displays yellow over a flashing green. I have to imagine that this has to do with the fact that only one track is in service over the Saugus River Drawbridge, due to the work being done on it. What's interesting is that I had never seen a signal display yellow over a flashing green before, and would like to know what it means. I am sure someone out there has the answer. Thanks!
railfan1988

Postby sery2831 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:14 am

Approach Limited, it means to approach next signal at limited speed(45mph).
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby railfan1988 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:21 am

sery2831 wrote:Approach Limited, it means to approach next signal at limited speed(45mph).

Thanks, John. So what will the next signal be displaying? If I had to guess, I would say either Limited Clear or Medium Clear.
railfan1988

Postby sery2831 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:45 am

Limited Clear, if the next signal was going to me a Medium Clear you would not be seeing the green flash.
sery2831

Postby octr202 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:33 am

This just in from MBCR:

To All of Our Newburyport/Rockport Line Passengers

Phase 1 of the Saugus River Draw Bridge Rehabilitation Project

WEEKEND OUTAGES

Beginning Saturday, February 25th thru Sunday, April 15th

Customers are advised that beginning on Saturday, February 25th and for each successive weekend thru Sunday, April 15th Phase 1 of the Saugus River Draw Bridge Rehabilitation project will be underway.

During this time there will be replacement bus service in operation between Lynn, Chelsea and North Stations. Customers should anticipate delays of up to 35 minutes while the MBTA’s contractor for this project adds extra supports to strengthen the existing bridge piers. This work is being performed on weekends in order to minimize the delays to our customers.

We anticipate that the final phase of this project will be completed by mid summer but would recommend watching the MBTA’s website http://www.mbta.com for updates as that time draws near.

We apologize for any inconvenience experienced by our passengers while this work is being performed.

Thank you for riding the commuter rail.

Customer Service
Massachusetts Bay Commuter Rail

Operating the Commuter Rail on behalf of the MBTA
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby railfan1988 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:08 pm

Now that Phase 1 of the Saugus River Draw rehab project is over, does anyone know when Phase 2 will begin? Last I checked, neither the T's website or MBCR's website has any information about Phase 2.
railfan1988

Postby StefanW » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:53 am

I just got this in email...

It's a head-scratcher why this work won't be done on a weekend instead. Perhaps some specialized piece of equipment got delayed on its way to the site.

MBCR wrote:To All of our Newburyport/Rockport Line Customers

Saugus River Draw Bridge Maintenance

Bussing will be provided between North Station, Chelsea and Lynn beginning -
Monday, April 30th at 9:00pm through Tuesday, May 1st at 5:00am

MBCR will be taking the track out of service due to essential bridge work on the Saugus River Draw Bridge. This will affect ONLY the following trains:
· Inbound Train 186 (9:00pm departure from Newburyport) and Train 142 (10:45pm departure from Rockport)
· Outbound Train 189 (9:35pm departure from North Station) Train 143 (10:40pm departure from North Station) and Train 145 (12:10am departure from North Station).

Normal service will be restored at 5:00am Tuesday morning, May 1st

Please check the MBTA's website http://www.mbta.com<http://www.mbta.com/> for any updates.

We apologize for any inconvenience to our customers and we wish to thank you for your cooperation while this necessary work is performed.

Thank you for riding the commuter rail.

Customer Service
Massachusetts Bay Commuter Rail
Operating the Commuter Rail on behalf of the MBTA
StefanW

Postby StefanW » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:07 pm

Anyone know what was the (apparently) big work being done this past weekend? (The lines were being bussed from Lynn to North Station and Saugus to North Station for Saturday and Sunday.)

On my trip inbound this morning the work extra with a string of gravel hopper cars was on the north side of the river on the out-of-service track 2, but that may be just ballasting after the tie work and unrelated to the drawbridge.
StefanW

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:13 am

Why were they busing from Saugus to North Station? The Rockport/Newburyport like doesn't stop in Saugus.
theseaandalifesaver

Postby sery2831 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:23 am

The bussed from Boston to Lynn Saturday. Sunday service ran. Not sure the status of the project.

The ballast cars are of a tie job being done at the same time.
sery2831

Postby StefanW » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:41 pm

theseaandalifesaver wrote:Why were they busing from Saugus to North Station? The Rockport/Newburyport like doesn't stop in Saugus.

D'oh!! Oops! I meant Chelsea not Saugus. I had Saugus on the brain because I was thinking how nice it would have been to be able to send trains over the former Saugus Branch while the bridge was out. Sigh.
StefanW

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:20 am

[quote="StefanW"][quote="theseaandalifesaver"]Why were they busing from Saugus to North Station? The Rockport/Newburyport like doesn't stop in Saugus.[/quote]

D'oh!! Oops! I meant Chelsea not Saugus. I had Saugus on the brain because I was thinking how nice it would have been to be able to send trains over the former Saugus Branch while the bridge was out. Sigh.[/quote]

As nice as that would be, I'm pretty sure like half of the branch had been torn up.
theseaandalifesaver

Postby NH2060 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:20 pm

theseaandalifesaver wrote:
StefanW wrote:
theseaandalifesaver wrote:Why were they busing from Saugus to North Station? The Rockport/Newburyport like doesn't stop in Saugus.

D'oh!! Oops! I meant Chelsea not Saugus. I had Saugus on the brain because I was thinking how nice it would have been to be able to send trains over the former Saugus Branch while the bridge was out. Sigh.

As nice as that would be, I'm pretty sure like half of the branch had been torn up.

The only parts of the branch that still have any track only extend for very short stretches past their connections to the main line.
NH2060

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:49 am

NH2060 wrote:
theseaandalifesaver wrote:
StefanW wrote:

The only parts of the branch that still have any track only extend for very short stretches past their connections to the main line.

Saugus and Lynn still have track fully in tact, however they essentially have forests growing out of the tracks and a majority of the crossings have been removed.
BostonUrbEx

Postby p-salem » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:40 am

Both tracks across Saugus Draw were in use during the morning rush hour today (6/25). Assuming that the emergency issue with the bridge alignment has been effectively resolved, does anyone have any indication about when the normal schedule on the line will be restored?
p-salem

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)