window guards on the locomotives/control cars

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby AEM7AC920 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:11 pm

ST214 wrote:I also hear of an Amtrak train in the late 80's or early 90's that had a motorcycle thrown off a bridge at the train. They missed the engine and instead left a hole and huge dent in the roof of an Amfleet coach.

Sounds like something I have seen before when I was a little kid, these older teens were at the bridge that is over the orange line and they had a large tv that they threw at the train and I don't know how they expected to throw it over the fence and hit it but after I told a cop and went back the next day I could see the Tv laying next to the tracks.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby CSX Conductor » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:20 pm

MBTA, I didn't mean to imply that in any way. I agree with you about the looks of pics with the grates versus without. That is what was better about the Amtrak F40's. no grates ruining head-end shots. :wink:
CSX Conductor

Postby SnoozerZ49 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:12 pm

Roger that guys,
you're right about the old F-40's looking better without grates! I have to say that being a fan of the old "covered wagon" units like the old FP-10s, I have grown to admire the F-40 PH. If you take a look and see what some of the most reliable engines are in commuter service look no further than the original 1000 class engines on the commuter rail system. They make a heck of a racket and they ain't pretty but they seldom let you down.

As far as the graffitti goes, it's a real shame. the "artsy/fartsy" students from the Rhode Island School of Design that were caught "tagging" trains of bilevel cars at the East Junction facility had no regrets and saw nothing wrong in what they did. I guess I am whining a lot about it but it seems there are a lot of people out there that believe rules don't apply to them. When the mechanical department tries to remove the paint it discolors the panels of the car. The windows of the cars are pretty much ruined as well. With all the problems we have trying to run a decent service for people this kind of stuff gets real discouraging.

If we were serious about getting this problem stopped. we'd send the "taggers" out with cleaner, a tooth brush and a Marine Corp Drill Instructor to help motivate them as they scrubbed, and scrubbed and scrubbed!
SnoozerZ49

Postby ST214 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:04 pm

THat's right snoozer. Have never had a problem with a screamer. Have had issues with a GP40MC which kept kicking out and shutting down. When the screamers have a failure, it's usually on the road again the next day fixed, can't say the same for the GP40MC's. the F40PH-2C's and the F40PHM-2C's are OK too.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:10 am

does 1069 still have graffitti on its nose, or has it been removed? last time i saw 1069 was in OCT.
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)