Light Rail to Arborway Officially Dead

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Light Rail to Arborway Officially Dead

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:29 pm

Disney Guy wrote:1. The Casey Overpass would have been rebuilt to the delight of many Jamaica Plain residents and preserving the loop.

This would have been the most likely option, I think. I disagree that it would have been to the delight of JP residents, though. The pro-overpass people were the folks traveling through the area, not living in the area. Although, maintaining good service may have lead to JP residents begrudgingly supporting a new overpass.
BostonUrbEx

Postby Arborwayfan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:58 pm

I know at least a couple JP residents who wanted a new overpass because they realized that putting all that traffic on the ground would make their pedestrian and bike connections harder.
Arborwayfan

Postby highgreen215 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:15 pm

I agree the first option would probably be selected, but it's a moot point because with the traffic conditions on JP streets today, I reluctantly believe that streetcars running beyond the Hyde Square proposal no longer makes sense.

I strongly disagree with the second statement. I live within one mile of this traffic morass and the only positive thing to come out of it is a new OL/CR head house that is to be built on the JP side of Casey Way so pedestrians won't be a injured or killed crossing it. It's not really a topic for this forum, but 26,000 cars a day can more easily traverse these two intersections by passing overhead than getting tangled up in surface traffic. And I suspect it would have actually been cheaper to build an attractive landscaped new overpass, although the public was not presented figures that support this option.
highgreen215

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)