MBTA Track Map - Google Earth KML File

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

MBTA Track Map - Google Earth KML File

Postby lanoitarus » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:06 pm

First post -- I've been a lurker around here forever but never felt I had anything worth saying to contribute.

I've searched a bit both here and on google, and didn't see this posted much at all, so I thought I'd toss it out in the hopes others found it interesting. The MBTA has detailed track maps for the subway system available here: http://www.eot.state.ma.us/default.asp? ... &sid=about

I converted these to a KML file, which Google Earth can open and display. You can download the KML file here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4048576/mbta.kml
It's a pretty cool map, and shows what seems to me to be very accurate detail, including service and abandoned tracks and intersections.

The only inaccuracy I've found so far is that simple crossovers are missing except where there is a storage or similar track involved, but I figure the sharp eyes here will find other things quickly.

And yes, it includes the silver line "tracks". I left them in because that's how the T did it, but I took the liberty of making them nearly invisibly thin.

Apologies if this has been covered before -- I checked but saw nothing.

Cheers
lanoitarus

Re: MBTA Track Map - Google Earth KML File

Postby lanoitarus » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:08 am

Apparently I am and idiot and uploaded the wrong file; a much less interesting one that only shows the route network instead of track detail. I replaced it with the correct version.
lanoitarus

Postby dominoes » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Very nice, thanks for taking the time to create and upload it!
dominoes

Postby mbtambta » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:39 am

Thanks for sharing, this is great!
mbtambta

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:59 am

Good work, lanoitarus! Nice job converting the data.

One thing I noted is that your map shows 3 tracks at the Forest Hills yard area (there are actually 4), the Alewife yard is missing, and some storage space between North Station and Haymarket is missing.

Other than that and the numerous crossovers you noted were missing, it's really nice! Definitely going to save this for future use!

Pretty cool to see the Green Line's North Station turnaround.
BostonUrbEx

Postby MaineCoonCat » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:35 pm

Nice! I am having trouble getting it to line up properly though. Any tips would be truly appreciated. Google Earth 6.0.3.2197.
Thanks!
Seen behind the motorman on the inside wall of a PCC departing "Riverside" many years ago: "Pickpockets are on duty for your convenience."
MaineCoonCat

Location: Metrowest Massachusetts, within 2 km. of Wayside Inn Station.

Postby CPSK » Fri May 25, 2012 9:19 am

Any chance of getting detailed track maps for MBTA commuter rail?
I am creating a map in Google Earth, saving to .kmz files. It is impossible to get any good detail in Boston itself, especially in the North Station area, with all the highways covering the tracks, and the subway and commuter lines intermingled.
I tried the links in this thread, but the one to the kmz file is broken, and the other just gives me a single page .pdf with no info.

Thanks for your help

FW
CPSK

Postby The EGE » Fri May 25, 2012 1:11 pm

I've got a copy of the kml. CPSK (or anyone else), PM me with your email address and I'll send you a copy.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby dbperry » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:28 pm

It would be really cool and helpful to post the KMZ here:

gpsfiledepot.com
dbperry

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)